Building my Judas Priest vinyl collection from scratch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Starting my Judas Priest's vinyl collection

I've been a fan of Judas Priest since the late 80's. Wanna build vinyl collection of their albums, and looking for best pressings. They can be multiple pressings, I don't care, unless they're worth getting for a particular sonic reason.

I know there huge gaps in my vinyl collection but please find the list of LP's I have below.

What do you recommend regarding pressings, versions, etc? Please post your comments. I would really appreciate your input.

Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East (Live In Japan)

Judas Priest - The Collection

Judas Priest - Point Of Entry

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

Judas Priest - Turbo

Judas Priest - Turbo 30

Judas Priest - Ram It Down

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Make sure you avoid the Back On Black pressings as they're taken from a brickwalled CD remaster and are generally bad sounding.

As for what pressings to get, I would try to get the original, older pressings. I have the Canadian pressings of Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith and they sounded great to me. If you have the cash, then the Japanese pressings would be quite nice sounding from what I gathered.

ian christopher and DoF like this.
  3. DoF

They say that current Silver Label Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab reissues are no revelation either.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. DoF

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Who is "they?"I have the silver label MFSLs, they don't sound bad to me.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. DoF

Ron Beaudry for example:

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, if he is comparing Stained Class to the Japanese pressing, no wonder, because that is supposed to be the best pressing of that title. Generally speaking, I think the Screaming For Vengeance MOFI is better than either the Stained Class MOFI or Killing Machine MOFI, and it is down to preference as to whether you prefer it or the original US pressing. There is a thread on the MOFIs on here somewhere, where somebody compared them all to the Original US ones.

8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I only have the MFSL Screaming For Vengeance lp of the three they released and I think it sounds "tame" for lack of a better word compared at least to a US first press which has a nice aggressive punch.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I would say that it doesn't punch as hard, but has a better guitar sound/separation. It is also cut a little quieter, I think.

ian christopher likes this.
  10. DoF

You mean "luxurious kind of a sound" ? :laugh:

11. DoF

On the other hand this MOFI pressing of Eric Clapton - Slowhand is epitome of quality.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  12. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Agreed, I have "Killing Machine" and "Stained Class", and they both sound great. I'm not sure "tame" is quite fair, but they are perhaps a bit more "polite" or "refined". :winkgrin:

DoF likes this.
  13. DoF

Are they digital transfers?

14. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I don't think they're digital, but they don't tell you much with Silver label. Mine both say "Mastered at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab on the Gain 2 Ultra Analog System". They don't sound digital to me. I like 'em.

Anyway, for that true in-your-face Judas Priest sound, you're probably best off getting original release (or early reissues) if you're up for the hunt/expense/disgust-when-you-get-a-noisy-or-flawed-pressing thing.

I have a fantastic first US pressing (JC 36433) of British Steel which is simply incredible. It slaps you around, it is NOT tame.

I also have Unleashed in the East (JC 36179), Turbo (OC 40158), Sin after Sin (PC 34787), Screaming for Vengeance (FC 38160), Sad Wings of Destiny (AYL1-4747, reissue), Ram it Down (FC-44244), Priest ...Live! (C2-40794), and Point of Entry (FC-37052). You can't go wrong with any of those. I'm still looking for a good copy of Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller (but original CDs are tiding me over).

15. DoF

Oh, I've been there.

Nycademon likes this.
  16. DoF

I am offered this: Judas Priest ‎– Point Of Entry

Label: Columbia ‎– FC 37052
    Released: 1981
    Runouts:
    Side A: AL 37052-G1A
    Side B: BL 37052-G1A

Worth buying?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gohill

gohill Senior Member

If it sounds like my UK original CBS84834 then it is well worth picking up. The UK cover is much better in my opinion.

All my original UK original pressings (picked up 2nd hand dirt cheap) right up to Ram It Down are absolutely stellar sounding.

DoF likes this.
  18. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Just dug out Point Of Entry as a result of this thread and put it on for the first time in literally years. I had forgotten how good side one is. Thankfully have never watched the video for 'Hot Rockin' so can still appreciate it as a good basic Priest metal tune. Turning Circles is great too. Listening to Desert Plains right now (it fades out too soon though). Classic Priest! This album sounds really good too. I know from the album by album thread there is a bit of debate over the merits of side 2, so i will give that a go again as to be honest, i can't remember a lot of this one, unlike Stained Class, British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders of The Faith, all of which i know well.

Bananas&blow and DoF like this.
  19. DoF

Ok I bought it, here's the info I can now confirm myself:

Judas Priest ‎– Point Of Entry

[​IMG]

Label: Columbia ‎– FC 37052
    Released: 1981
    Runouts:
    Side A: <JXAX> PAL 37052 G1A G1 A 4
    Side B: <J-T> BL 37052 G1A G1 B3

[​IMG]

I love this album, can't get the criticism. I love all JP eras with Rob. Don't know those albums with Tim "Ripper" Owens.

Anyone has this pressing?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  20. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Yup. It's fine. (Replying to post #19)

21. DoF

22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

US OP of Sin After Sin and Hell Bent... are great.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Man, this thread takes me back to my original vinyl's. :righton:

24. DoF

Listing to above-mentioned US pressing of POE, never sounded better to these ears.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. DoF

I don't know, but JP seems to be one of those bands that should be listened to on vinyl, so sweet.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.