Record stores in New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ekymetal, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I've vented my frustrations about Amoeba in another thread. Their used vinyl stock has dwindled in the past few years in favor of new LPs priced higher than anywhere else around. You should hold out for branches of Freakbeat or Atomic Records (like Captured Tracks in Brooklyn but much better stocked). I keep imagining Tokyo's Disk Union might open a branch in LA; I know it's extremely unlikely but apparently they have a few buyers based in the Bay Area. The rumor started here!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Disk Union has buyers overseas to source record stock for their stores in Japan! Probably has nothing to do with opening a store in the US. I can imagine they would expand around Japan before even thinking about this. The market is far far better in Japan I think.

3. Marc Perman

Agreed, this was "in an ideal world" thinking on my part. I'm hoping to make a vinyl shopping Japan trip soon, I've only shopped for CDs there previously.

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The HMV's were all over the map for me. The one on 34th must have had a great buyer because they had an amazing import section. The one on 86th on the East side was also good for imports and cd singles. I think there was one in Harlem too.

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

There were also Towers on the upper East side and in Trump (oof) Tower. The UES store didn't last long and neither did the Trump one, but that one lacked the foot traffic of the other locations so you could find good things there.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I've picked up some great jazz records at the West Side location. They're both very good. Right now, they're the best record shops in Manhattan, with the exception of the Jazz Record Center.

The pickings are very slim.

LordThanos1969, Hep Alien and drasil like this.
  7. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

8. Marc Perman

Los Angeles: Come for the weather, stay for the record stores.:cool:

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Just go to Princeton Record Exchange all NYC Record stores have inflated prices to pay for the outrageous rents in manhattan and Brooklyn PRE is one of the top Record Stores in America

Marcev likes this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I go to Princeton Record Exchange occasionally if I'm in NJ and I'm close, but it's really not convenient to travel there to buy records for NYC residents. When you factor in travel time and commuting costs, what did you really save? Chances are you spent more. It's not even the money thing with me personally, it's the commuting time. Imagine someone commuting from the outer NYC boroughs like Queens, Staten Island or The Bronx to Princeton via mass transit. You'll need to add an additional hour each way before adding the 60-75 minute trip from midtown. This will be an over 4 hour round trip in total for people coming from the outer boroughs. Who has time like that to burn?

Also, prices at PRE aren't earth shattering low or anything either. The prices on used records are pretty much comparable to record stores here in NYC for the most part. At least for the music I listen to. I actually found some of their prices on used jazz LPs to be higher than what I see at places like Jazz Record Center and Academy Records on 12th street.

WillieDaPimp, ARK, AcidPunk15 and 2 others like this.
  11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

12. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

I will soon be visiting the Big Apple from the UK and would love to visit a used record store at some point. Any recomendations, please.

13. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  14. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Academy Records on West 18th Street.

If you are willing to venture into Brooklyn there is also an Academy in Greenpoint as well as Permanent Records.

Also a Rough Trade store but that will probably not be as exciting for you as it is for me.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  15. Sgt Pepper

dzhason likes this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You could go there and fix that. :D

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Hep Alien, Sgt Pepper and jaxpads like this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Brooklyn may be your best bet- there are some very good stores there, plus you can eat pizza at Motorino, which has killer high end bespoke small batch unbelievably good crusty pizza and appetizers. I wrote up a thing about used record stores and eating in Neu Brooklyne a little more than a year ago. Happy to post it for you. An ex- New Yorker. :)

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  19. Sgt Pepper

Thanks Bill that would be great.

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Road Trip: Brooklyn Record Shopping - The Vinyl Press
    Enjoy~
    If you are a foodie, hit me up by private message. Happy to give you some suggestions for good food, not necessarily the latest trendy places, but real deal. Have a great trip.

zphage, iloveguitars and Sgt Pepper like this.
  21. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.