Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I read that, too. And then Hendrix apologized in the parking lot and started crying and wiped his tears on Lloyd's face or something.

I think it's plausible. Lloyd says his best friend took lessons from Hendrix, and that's his Hendrix connection. I guess if he wanted to flat-out lie, he'd say he got lessons from Jimi, too, but he's never made that claim.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Hendrix taught Velvert Turner, and Velvert would share what he learned with Lloyd.

3. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Just picked up Live at the old Waldorf on vinyl tonight…..great stuff!!

pobbard and j4yheindeo like this.
  4. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I dismissed this album as punk/new wave when it came out. Since I didn't really like or appreciate such music at that point in my life, I never heard MM until recently.

I actually picked up their 1999 self-titled lp 1st (cheap) and liked that a lot. Then started keeping my eyes out for Marquee Moon. Recently picked up the Newbury Comics maroon vinyl edition during their 30% off sale. Pretty sure that is the Rhino remaster. I think it sounds quite good, personally but I've never heard an original pressing.

The good news is that I get to discover this great music for the first time!

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Great CD. I played it last night for the first time in a couple years, and I LOVED it. It's even better than I remember especially Venus and the title track.

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm new to the album. I don't know how or why I missed it. (Well, I WAS in 5th grade and disco seemed to be where it was at for most and the Skynyrd crash and I had a crush on Paula Young). For a multitude of reasons I never knew this album existed until someone here mentioned the Rhino reissue. What a great album. What a great reissue. Really glad to come across this.

quakerparrot67, Guy E and pobbard like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Quick, grab Adventure, which was reissued at the same time. Then - against all odds - buy their self-titled album that came much later (Television). Then buy all all the Tom Verlaine CD's.

Oh, and spend the money on the Television live CD.

Then rest.

ralphb, Guy E and pobbard like this.
  8. Leschiens

Leschiens New Member

I like the title track

9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I need to give it a listen again. The first time I heard it I didnt think much of it. But it was an MP3 version.

10. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I want to see Adventure given the deluxe treatment too; maybe as a double with Waldorf as the second disc.

linclink likes this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on Adverure. I wasn't aware of it. The Four Men With Beards reissue is everywhere. Luckily, I found an eBay seller who still had the 2014 Rhino LP.

12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Damn, that reads just like a magazine piece! Are you a professional writer, ralphb? If not, you should be.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    quakerparrot67 and ralphb like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I managed to get Waldorf on CD, and it's worth having. The down side - and it's not minor - is the cost of it now. So yeah, including it as a bonus would be quite something, even for long term fans.

Adventure isn't as good as Marquee Moon. but it's still worth having. Also, the CD reissues last time around included fantastic booklets, with lengthy articles about the genesis of the band, and their sound.

What's doubly interesting about Television for me, is that the two lead guitarists Verlaine and Lloyd, went into very different solo careers. Verlaine carried on with what I'll call "the Television sound", but Lloyd floundered a bit, going for a more Power Pop sound. Ultimately, neither have managed a lucrative career, discography wise.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I was set up to expect great things after getting the Ork 45 and hearing all of the buzz about the
    shows at C.B.G.B.'s. The Marquee Moon album was not a disappointment, and in fact seemed to
    blend their punk/experimental/art side with a solid two-guitar 'West Coast' sound that updated
    the great 60s/70s guitar groups like Quicksilver Messenger Service and U.K. bands like Man and
    Trees (circa the On The Shore LP). The 'Grateful Dead' comparisons in the rock press at the time
    spoke more to the depth of the reviewers' record collection than to the actual sound of Television.
    Neither Tom nor Richard seemed to play any Jerry Garcia leads...but there was plenty of John
    Cipollina, Gary Duncan, Barry Melton and Ken Williams licks showing up in odd places.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

There's some interesting info in the booklet for the CD of Marquee Moon regarding the sound. Apparently, the label had booked them into a studio with the guy who had worked on Led Zep's albums. On the day the band arrived in the studio, everything was set up ready for them. On hearing the drum sound - which was Zep's sound - Verlaine asked for everything to be changed. The guy brought in to produce said: "Well, I assumed that's why I was hired, you want to sound like Zep."

Once they had made it clear that was not what they wanted, the producer was persuaded to leave the studio and not come back, on the agreement that no-one would tell the record company. That left the band to create the sound they wanted.....

driverdrummer and Lightworker like this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

When I first heard Richard Thompson I thought, "Wow, Tom Verlaine isn't as innovative as I thought he was".

17. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Now I'm fantasizing about Zep songs I wished Television had covered. Kashmir? The whole of Presence?

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  18. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

It's a fanciful story but I don't believe the 'being told to leave and not come back' part. Richard Lloyd himself implies on his web page of Andy Johns continued involvement in the recording of the album. (Someone posted the link to it earlier in this thread.) I do believe the part about dismantling the trademark Zep sound though.

Even after all these years everybody has to appear to be just so damn rock'n'roll. :cool:

MagneticNorthpaw likes this.
  19. Lightworker

I forgot about the Fairport contingent. Spot on.

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    This will be interesting, to say the least. Coming at the end of October.

21. What I thought was amazing or at least interesting, was that Verlaine originally wanted (or at least thought he wanted) none other than Rudy Van Gelder to engineer their first album. (At least according to the liners of the CD issue with the bonus tracks.)

driverdrummer, Lightworker and Guy E like this.
  22. Lightworker

Makes sense, considering Tom's musical tastes and his 'preferred' guitar tone.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Just reading the booklet now. The story is told through quotes from both Verlaine and Lloyd. It does conclude with the Producer (Andy Johns) coming back once recording was over, and that he heard it and said: "Jesus, this is great." They also say he did some "basic tracking". It seems from what I can make out that Mr. Johns worked on some stuff, they didn't like the sound, so he went off "to California" apparently without telling the record company, and then returned to listen later on. Sadly, right at that point the booklet switches from being general information to a track by track analysis, so there's nothing more.

Obviously, I don't know what's true. Likely you're right, and it's "all rock and roll". Either way, someone sure made the right decision regarding the sound.

eeglug likes this.
  24. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

My youngest son recently bought it on CD at a give away price. I gave it a listen and its quite good after missing it completely when it came out.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Boogie With Stu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.