Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Will a song called "Persia" do?

linclink and Ignatius like this.
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Listening to the Rhino vinyl right now. Awesome

driverdrummer and sonofjim like this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Wow! I never heard of this. At first it reminded me of an old Clark-Hutchinson raga jam, but then Verlaine started playing...

Lightworker likes this.
  4. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite albums. Hauntingly beautiful songs....It definitely holds up- played the LP to my 30 yr old son in law, and he went out and bought it the next day.
    Their follow-up, Adventure, doesn't get mentioned much, but I also think it's excellent (not Marquee Moon, but a very enjoyable listen).

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Thank God...

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

I love Television, I only own a handful of late seventies CBGB related albums against literally thousands of sixties albums and I LOVE Television. The track Marquee Moon is an absolute favorite.

I read here about the influences and agree. Certainly the track resonates West Coast pysch such as QMS.

I also believe that Shazam by the Move is a huge influence in the track.

Lightworker likes this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I got an advance copy. Very good read.

ralphb and Vaughan like this.
  8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Lightworker

The slow build in the Move's version of "The Last Thing On My Mind" comes to...uh...mind.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I've been reserving judgement on anything for the past week or so while I worked out some retubing issues with my system. Just spinning the Rhino reissue of Adventure now and am finding it to be stunning. Another very good album I simply had missed altogether to this point.

I can't speak for the Four Men With Beards reissue but I generally don't trust that label. The Rhino is worth hunting down.

pobbard and Lightworker like this.
  11. ralphb

Adventure tends to get a bad rap because it followed Marquee Moon, but it's an excellent album that didn't come off as a retread of it's illustrious predecessor. The inclusion of the title track might have helped people like it more.

12. Agree, the title track of Adventure is great, and really should have been included in the original. Over the years (only 10 years, for me), I've found Adventure just as wonderful as Marquee Moon, but a nice compliment that isn't identical.

13. Lightworker

I have the original 70's U.K. Elektra vinyl pressing. The vintage Fenders 'twang' just right on that one.

sonofjim likes this.
  14. Great to hear the love for this album. I listened to it tonight, it never lets you down. I'm not sure what re-issue I have, but it's definitely not Four Men With Beards. My girlfriend had never heard it before and was laughing at the audacious interplay on 'Prove It.' Definitely timeless - one of the twenty best albums I've ever heard.

15. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I literally just started skimming through Marquee Moon and Adventure upon hearing about them on this forum yesterday and it's been a while that I immediately like what I'm hearing. I've also been skimming through Uriah Heep's stuff trying to get into them, and no disrespect but they're gonna have to take a back seat to Television.

driverdrummer and Lightworker like this.
  16. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Don't forget to search out Richard Lloyd's and Tom's solo albums, they are all just about as great as the Television LPs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Fullbug and mooseman like this.
  17. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

There are echoes of verlaine/lloyd on an album by a one man band called east river pipe called "poor fricky"!"haunting" is how I describe "marquee moon"....pure perfection!!!

18. Sebastian saglimbenI

There a verlaine double c.d. comp....greatest hits disc 1....live at the marquee on the 2nd. C.d.!!"a miller's tale" it is called.....amazing set!!!!

zobalob, rockerreds and DesertChaos like this.
  19. ralphb

Verlaines solo albums are well worth owning especially the first s/t, Flash Light, Cover, Words From The Front and the truly marvelous Dreamtime.

20. Sebastian saglimbenI

I love verlaine solo as well....never caught him live....almost did in the early 80''s though cancelled due to flu!"!imagine...an entire concert cancelled due to the flu ya honna!yes...obligatory "my cousin vinny"!!!

21. Sebastian saglimbenI

Wow I had no idea,t.v. played m.f.p...I grew up in Roslin heights...my folks still live there and I was fortunate to see Los Angeles punk band "x" there!!amazing club which I wished I'd gone to more often obviously!

22. Saint Johnny

Agreed!
    But the first two Richard Lloyd solos are just as good, and are still among my favorite LPs ever.

ralphb likes this.
  23. ralphb

Richard's solo lps, outside of a song here and there, never did it for me. He had a great band and they were excellent live (when not too stoned) but the records, not so much. YMMV.

Mitland likes this.
  24. Saint Johnny

I remember seeing Richard live in the late 80s, at a little club/bar out in western NJ, probably 60 miles due west of Manhattan. Where besides me and my friends, NO ONE else in the entire place knew who they were. The 20-30 people there thought they were a local pick up band. :biglaugh:And they WERE great that night.

rockerreds and ralphb like this.
  25. Sebastian saglimbenI

The connection.....?!!coltrane!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.