New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Yeah I have to agree with that statement. It's pretty neutral. Ive never thought the amp sounded warm, or bright.
    To me, it's the case with any amp that maintaining system synergy is necessary, and finding the right components that compliment eachother is important.
    I suspect that the 508IA is going to be really fun for you to own.

advanced101 likes this.
  2. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

It's a fantastic amp and I may sell mine and go the separate route. If interested let me know.

3. D777

D777 New Member

Is the 508ia always 220v and require a separate transformer?

I'm considering getting one but don't really want an additional transformer in order to run it.

4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

TubZ

I would suggest before going separates that IF the LM integrated amp has preamp in then you can used the amp as a power amp. My 219IA was vastly better than it was as an integrated. With the rudimentary preamp stage - the sound is a little fat and veiled. Which is still vastly more agreeable to the ears than clinical dry and fatiguing (98% of Solid State).

But I heard the speparate version of the 219IA - their monoblocks and preamp and it really was no better than just sticking the preamp on the 219IA. And save $10,000. I would at least try it first. Unless of course you are moving to a different/higher end brand of separates.

I auditioned the 219IA with several preamps and each one made an improvement and each one sound very different showing the LM power amp section to be robust and chameleon like which is how it should be.

That was my intention actually to use my 219IA as a power amp - but since I live in HK and one day will move back to the west - I needed an amp I could change the voltage on. No one at LM could give me an answer so I sold it and now use the KingKo KA 101 ($800) as a power amp AND the voltage switch is right on the side. It also gave me a bit more cash to put to my M3 Preamp (all their amps are universal transformers so a 5 minute solder job for the US/Canada).

SandAndGlass and advanced101 like this.
  5. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

The 508 is not sold as a 220 volt version in the US as far as I know. It plugs into a typical 15 or 20 amp 120 volt receptacle. No transformer required.
    I fully intend on adding a separate pre amp to mine as Richard mentioned in the previous post. That's first on my list of upgrades to make in 2018. LM makes it easy to do with the pre-in spot on the selector switch.
    At the end of the day, it's a ballsy power amp using 300b's and 805's pushing 48 watts. Thats not bad. I don't really think (yet) that I need to sell it and monoblocks.

6. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

I've already ordered my tube pre but will be some time before mine is built and the LM is quite spectacular especially that I have upgraded all the tubes but we shall see.

Thanks,
    IDTs :)

7. D777

D777 New Member

Thanks J.D.80, do you know if all the LM integrated models have the pre-in option?

8. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Hi, I believe its the LM210 and upwards that have the Pre connection option. So that would be LM210, 518, 508, 501 & 219.

9. D777

D777 New Member

Thanks, and LM 218 as well?

10. Mark broadhead

No not the LM218. I have one !

11. D777

D777 New Member

Good to know. Was thinking of picking up a used 218 but wanted to use it with my preamp. Just curious, what are your impressions of the 218?

12. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

That's exactly what I've heard from other LM Integrated Amp users! I read a review on the LM 518IA and they down played the benefit of a pre, saying the changes were small buy other users are saying things like more body, separation, imaging, clarity and dynamics.

I definitely understand a little fat and veiled but still quite an impressive amp for sure and a Line-Stage is going to take it to another level... I thought about selling but I'm quite happy with it and will see what happens when a HQ tube pre is added.

Thanks,
    IDTs

james and IanL like this.
  13. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

Hi JMAC, I am an owner of a 518ia, now on my 4th year with her. Have you solved the popping issue? If not, then let me share my earlier experience that I had of somewhat the same 'popping' issue that you are now facing. I am based in Dubai, UAE and we do not have any local dealer here so I purchased mine out of HongKong from the Line Magnetic sales office there. When I received my unit, after maybe 4 or 5 days of playing I started to hear a 'popping' sound. It was popping at a regular interval, almost cycling through a specific number of seconds. So I removed all sources, but still the popping noise remained, and was on all Inputs or lines for my unit at that time. A friend of mine who is a tech tried to figure out what was causing it but couldn't locate the problem so he suggested that I contact Line Magnetic and return the unit for repair. Good enough, James at Line Magnetic immediately arranged for the collection of the unit and arranged for a repair. After about 3 weeks I received a brand new unit, not the one that was earlier sent to me, according to James. But he did not explain what was the problem. My tech friend recons that it may be a faulty capacitor, or weld, that after charging up it discharges the current somehow causing the pop that was cycling through at regular intervals. Anyway after the replacement unit I got it never happened again, and have been running my 518ia for 4 years now. My advice is that you return your unit to your dealer and get a replacement. Line Magnetic stands behind their products all the way within the warranty period so better use it

Dave, dirtymac and Tlay like this.
  14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I appreciate the reply! I did in fact solve the problem (or rather, @GoldprintAudio did and gave me the suggestion) by replacing the rectifier tube.

Your problem sounds like it was different (and more frequent) than mine, so I'm glad you got it fixed and are enjoying your 518ia.

I've recently been comparing my 508ia with a Leben CS600. I can say that the Leben does not do the holographic 3D thing that the LM amp can do. The 508ia makes close mic'd vocals sound incredibly real.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

Unusual setup, but I used a Mytek Brooklyn as a preamp for the 518ia for a while. It was an awesome combo. One I'd love to have back.

16. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

I've ordered a Don Sach's Model 2 6SN7 Tube Pre to compliment my LM and from other users, a true reference pre easily beating uber expensive brands.

custom line stage

17. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

That's good to know, and glad your issue wasn't as bad as what I encountered :)

One thing these LM SETs does very well are holographic imaging and soundstaging. IF ever I will upgrade, it will be to the 508ia, or the 845 LM monoblocks that is made to order from their factory.

Happy listening JMAC!

18. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

I also have the Don Sachs Model 2 Linestage that I use with my 518ia, best preamplifier I have ever tried and I have tried quiet a number over the past few years. You won't be disappointed. Those L + R channel Gain adjustments are very useful, play with them while listening to different genre of music. I go no more than 12 o'clock on the gain and the details are phenomenal, specially with Jazz Vocals. With Rock I turn down the gain to around 10 or 11 o'clock then pump up the volume.

My search is over for a preamp. Wish I could share an image here directly.

hi_watt and james like this.
  19. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

Why is there quite a number of 508ia already in the used market for sale?
    In Europe and N. America
    I saw an ad in US Audio Mart, with the seller offering it for $2750, which is almost 40% off brand new price. He raved about how good it is and better than the 518, but also underlined and is honest about the higher noise or hum of the 508.

Is this true? Is the noise or hum level of the 508 high? (compared to other tube amplifier that you may own / have owned) can it be that the tube complement of the 508 has made this model more prone to line noise?

20. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

Those are usually gray market versions from cattylink or wherever trying to make a profit.

21. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Also, a lot of those are usually 230v models.

Audio_nirvana likes this.
  22. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I have used my 508ia with ~97db sensitive speakers and have no hum.

23. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

The one you found at that price is 220v unit.....so not much use to basically anyone in the US (thus the extremely low price).

There have actually been very few of the 508's to show up used so far.

I would also say that the noise level of the 508 is very similar to that of the 518. My guess is the guy selling the 220v unit was using a voltage converter that introduced unwanted noise in to his system.

Audio_nirvana likes this.
  24. Mark broadhead

Hi, there is no pre amp connection on the 218. It is a very good amplifier - clear, dynamic and with good bass. I have changed some caps and the tubes though. I have had no issues with reliability.

25. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

Good to know Jmac