Rega Announce New Planar 3 Turntable At Bristol Sound&Vision Show

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CrazyCatz, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triceratops

Triceratops Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I especially like that it does not involve spending any more money, of which I have little after getting this deck. :)

My 2016 P3 definitely has these rubbery cables. They do indeed feel nice and hearty. Yours is a familiar story, since one of the reasons I finally upgraded from the Pro-Ject is I kept intermittently losing a channel on it and no one could figure out why. Glad your situation resulted in spiffy new hardware...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Triceratops

Triceratops Well-Known Member

Say, and speaking of not spending any more $$$ than necessary... anyone know of a cheaper speed box to use with this 24v motor than the TT-PSU? $300 is steep, and I hear lots of complaints about it creating a hum. (Upon picking this up from my retailer and asking about cheaper alternatives, their only suggestion was that I upgrade to a P6, which apparently includes the TT-PSU. No, dudes, I want to spend *less* money, not more...)

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have the TTPSU mk2 and no hum. I wonder whether it has to do with the US version? I'm UK.

If no one here knows the answer concerning alt. PSUs, then this is the best forum I have found for Rega TTs:

Rega Forum - Vinyl Engine »

Triceratops likes this.
  4. robertash

robertash Forum Resident

I also had my RB303 tonearm replaced on my RP6, it came with the new rubber cables and I agree - sounds twice as good.

5. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

The Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 is about $300, might be worth looking for a second hand one?

6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Got the same rig, except for the SpeedBox - mine is DC, no SB available...

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I was at the Bristol show this weekend and spent some time in the Rega room. The new P3 was very impressive, it was playing with a new 'Ania' MC cartridge, new MC phono stage, and new TT PSU with adjustable speed control, plus 2017 Brio and RX5 speakers. The P3 looked well built, the Rega rep explained to me that it is extremely light in order to dispel airborne vibrations as Roy thinks these are more detrimental to sound quality than floor-borne vibrations. Of course, Rega recommends mounting their turntables on the wall so there shouldn't be any vibration from the floor! The sound was nice but I thought the speakers were too short and appeared to have a little extra air than seemed correct. A different listening experience to when I heard the RX1 speaker at my local dealer, which I thought sounded dull.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I was pretty impressed with the sound of the P3 at Bristol. First time I have heard a Rega that sounds right to me and could recommend. Previous Rega decks have sounded nothing like this Including the old P9. Not yet heard an RP10.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This is an interesting development and should excite a lot of Rega speed exactniks. Will it work with older models, I wonder?

Triceratops likes this.
  10. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Spotted some pics of the P3 with the new cart on it over at Hifi Lounge (hard to see the cart though)
    Rega Launch Red Planar 2 and 3 + Ania MC Cartridge!
    actually, there's better pics by the same guy on AOS
    Rega Launch Red Planar 2 and 3 + Ania MC Cartridge! !

Robert C likes this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Any more info on the adjustable speed TTPSU, please?

Triceratops likes this.
  12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Only that the rep said it will likely come with a strobe disc and laser pen. You adjust the speed at the back of the box. The front now looks like the new Brio with curved edges.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thank-you. :)

14. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I really enjoyed my 2016 P3. Only replaced it with the Ace Spacedeck due to upgraditis and the dealer giving me a deal on the up-trade. Otherwise, no complaints.

Given my good experience with the 2016 P3, a new P6 with adjustable PSU and mid-priced Rega MC cartridge will be hard to resist for a second system :)

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm still on my 1990s silver Planar 3, with an AO rewire, OL counterweight, GT Ref subplatter and ruby bearing, 24v motor and TTPSU mk2, I'm not planning on upgrading it any further or swapping it fro a new one, but if the new TTPSU works with it, I'll be tempted.

PATB likes this.
  16. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Thought I'd post some pics of my red P3, as there aren't too many posted online and it may help some decide on a finish. It is darker than I expected, which I really like. In the right kind of light it almost looks more maroon than red. The pics give an idea but I'd say in person it's a little darker than it appears here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I know this thread has moved on to discussing the new adjustable tt-psu, but I just wanted to mention that I am using a US tt-psu 2 with a 2016 Planar 3 and have experienced no hum. It works just as well with the p3 as it did with my rp3.

Triceratops likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Anyone know what happened with the new speed-adjustable TTPSU? I can find no mention of it on the Rega site.

19. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Think it's just being launched with P6 first then after the P6 rush as a stand alone product.

Triceratops and mr.datsun like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I spotted the NEO, but as the OP had said the new PSU was being used to demo a Planar 3, I was not sure. But it's odd because the P6's specs for the 'NEO PSU' say a lot about the design, but they do not mention speed fine tune.

21. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

mr.datsun and andybeau like this.
  22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Likely because it will be adjusted at the factory and so should require no user adjustment. It will likely come in handy later when a belt ages or is changed. It might also vary some by location of the end user as the line frequency could be slightly different in different areas of the world.
    -Bill

PATB and mr.datsun like this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

24. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I'm about to receive my new Planar 3. Is the Elys2 compared to a AT440mlB (my current cart) or the Ortofon Bronze?

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Neither; it's warmer sounding.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.