Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was expecting that. It's sad. Guess there won't come something like this in a so long time range since the box set came out.

905 likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What do you think it is? A different mono mix or an EQ choice?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

EQ. Live to mono, so there's only one mix.

john lennonist and Tommyboy like this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Honestly other than sales to some holdouts, there really isn't much in it for them to release them individually. Many of the titles probably wouldn't sell in the 5 figures - particularly those that have already been released.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

They may also want to package them in deluxe editions, as done with Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Oyster Boy and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I suppose. But only a handful are really candidates and the steam is going to run out on those boxes pretty quickly unless they come up with some really interesting extras, IMO. There may be a few dozen people here really juiced for the Satanic box, but I don't expect it to sell particularly well.

8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm one of the (supposedly) many opting out of the Satanic box. I'm not a particularly big fan of that album, nor do I have a turntable or a SACD player. The extras are virtually non-existent in the package, too, and they do exist in bootleg form, which makes it even more disappointing.

Trying to steer this thread back on track (we've veered off course so many times...), we are coming up on one year since release. I'm still glad I bought it. I may end up buying it again and this time springing for the DSD masters from acousticsounds because I like it so much.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

All albums? I can only imagine that for Aftermath onwards maybe.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I wonder if that was an attempt at minimizing the squeaky pedal.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Squeaky pedal?

Totally different frequencies regardless.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

the drum pedal is squeaking throughout the song. Should be easily noticeable

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can't listen right now. Regardless, any "fix" for that would be at different frequencies from the ringing of the drum head.

14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Sorry if this has been already discussed. I have been enjoying the albums since I bought the CD box months ago, but I haven't listened to "Stray cats" yet. I've noticed that I have all tracks but one (the Italian version of As Tears Go By) in the 2002 "The London Years" and "More Hot Rocks". My question is: Is something else different in Stray Cats, some different mix or transfer that I need to check?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Under Assistant is the unedited version.

16. A well respected man

Thanks! Pity that SFM is the same muddy transfer then.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's a different needledrop. A few other things differ too.

18. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Totally agree, but we all know how Abkco operates. There's not going to be a huge market for mono Aftermath, Between The Buttons, and Satanic Majesties Request standalone CDs. So instead of selling each for $12-$15, they can package them in redundant $80 packages. Hate to be cynical, but...

john lennonist and PIGGIES like this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

@A well respected man and if you search though Luk's posts in this thread, you'll discover those other differences too!

A well respected man likes this.
  20. A well respected man

I will. Thank you, guys.

21. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I agree with your sentiment, but if done well, they could put together decent deluxe editions of the titles mentioned, but probably wont........................

22. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

One thing that makes Stray Cats really different - it is extremely patchy. I mean content wise it is rather unbalanced, bits and pieces. No complains for the first part that reproduces a part of the 1st CD from London Years and a bit of More Hot Rocks. Lets say, listening experience up to track 11 is OK. But the second half is a mess. Surely, it fills the gap for the box but as a stand alone CD it lacks charm or continual flow.

lukpac and A well respected man like this.
  23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

...and probably never will if they sell Majesties as hopelessly poorly as speculation here suggests..

on the other hand, some may find that 3D cover very cool and take the plunge and find something very worthwhile. like terrific psychedelia and a bajillion instruments doing weird things:)

24. A well respected man

Yeah, looking at the track list I was thinking that I should have listened to the first 11 tracks as a kind of "album 0" before starting with the debut album. But the rest is patchy, and having most of them in SACD doesn't give you any reason to listen to it. That's why I asked if anything was different. I will look trhough the thread.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

One thing I'll never understand is that bloody awful remix of "19th Nervous Breakdown" and shortened versions of "Tell Me" and "Paint It Black". What the heck were they thinking?

rnranimal and Hep Alien like this.