OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's got emphysema.

2. Try turning off TruMotion and turning down the OLED Lighting settings. You can keep the contrast high.

White_Noise likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

TruMotion turned off 1st thing - I didn't spend $2400 to watch movies with the soap opera effect! :D

On advice from another board, I knocked down the OLED lighting to 30 from 80. We'll see how that goes! :wave:

Vidiot, White_Noise and mikeyt like this.
  4. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Not sure if this was directed at me, but it was right under my post about the SONY flagship Z line (LED, FALD). If I'd read the subject line about this being an owner's thread more closely I wouldn't have posted, but that ship has sailed.

FTR, I wasn't taking shots at vidiot or anyone else. I do think some folks are too enamored with OLED given the fact that the tech still has unresolved drawbacks. Inky blacks (one of OLEDs strongest selling points), while appealing, isn't the only factor to consider when purchasing a panel.

I get the pro/con discussion of 3D, but the tech isn't goin' away any time soon even if manufacturers and HDMI 4K codec cartel walks away. There's an existing market and collecting circles who remain devoted to 3D. Movies are still being released in 3D (my wife and I are going to see the new Spider-Man flick in 3D later today).

Current 3D could be a lot better ...that's a fact..., but it is what it is and for some panel shoppers 3D may still be a deal breaker. Another fact, for 3D to be effective in an HT environment, the panel should be a light cannon. Until recently, OLED offerings have failed in that regard nit-wise, but I suspect this will change as the tech catches up to the demand.

Again, for some folks, perhaps most, 3D may not matter at all. As a strategy, I can understand why manufacturers and heavy hitters in 4K development would walk away from it. But the tech has been around quite awhile. There are a lot of cinemas set up for it and lots of movies still released in 3D. Even as a "failed" tech according to HT manufacturers and the 4K standards consortium, there's a solid niche market of 3D enthusiasts in the HT community that can't be wiped away overnight.

FTR, I don't watch a lot of 3D, but I like it occasionally and would be very disappointed to see it disappear, especially with movies like Martin Scorsese's Hugo being the Citizen Kane of 3D entertainment.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    chaz likes this.
  5. I'm pretty sure it was a passive/aggressive swipe at me since Vidiot kept wanting to argue with me. For the record, I've given Vidiot lots of respect in this thread and others. Infact, I appreciate most of the insight he gives in most threads. When he started name calling is when I confronted him about it. If the guy read the posts in the thread objectively, he'd see it.

About 3D, I have both a plasma and OLED in 3D and they are both amazing in their own right. There are some minor draw backs to OLED but its not enough to convince me to buy into another technology (at this point). I would be all over a plasma if they had 4K models with UHD capabilities on the consumer market.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I work in post every day and have to deal with some of the most difficult directors and producers you can imagine. I should wear a T-shirt that says, "You can't scare me. I've worked for Michael Mann and Billy Friedkin." I was bruised and bloody after some of those sessions, and that wasn't a silly message board -- those were very demanding Hollywood people doing serious projects. I try to pick my battles. (And there were worse fights with indie people you've never heard of. And some very famous filmmakers who were surprisingly nice and easygoing.)

There are some people who hang out here who are actual TV dealers and installers in the real world, and they'll tell you the same exact thing: if you spend $2000+ for a nice 4K consumer display, you may as well spend another hundred or two to have a guy come in and really set it up from top to bottom. At least then, you'll have a fighting chance of seeing some of the work we try so hard to do in post. Without it, you could be looking at the moon for all I know.

Sgt Pepper, Mr Bass, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LG 4K OLED TV Wins TV Shootout For 4th Consecutive Year

LG 65" Signature Series E7P OLED TV won best television for 2017 for studio lighting/home theater, HDR viewing and streaming video.

Competing models included:
    LG 65E7P,
    Sony 65" Bravia A1E OLED TV,
    Sony 65" XBR-65Z9D LED full-array backlit LCD,
    Samsung 65" QN65Q9F 4K QLED edge-lit LCD,
    Vizio 65" P65-E1 XLED 4K full-array backlit LCD
    Westinghouse 65" 4K LED direct-backlit Fire TV

Vidiot likes this.
  8. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe I missed it, but as great a television the E7 is, that pick doesn't make sense. The LG panels are all the same, so if value is taken into account than the C and B models should look the same. The G7 isn't that much more expensive and has a nicer frame if price isn't a factor and the W7 is far superior to all of them. The Sony OLED is at least as good as the E7 and around the same price. If I didn't care about 3D and was willing to pay a couple thousand more for slightly better brightness, I would buy the Sony because it has basically the same OLED LG made screen as the E7 but with a better chip. Then again, if I had enough money to buy that I would way rather save up an extra year to buy a 77" W7 where 4k actually makes a difference.

The A1E is a better TV, at least slightly.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've been told that by a dozen people, and on that basis I've bought an LG OLED55C7, which is supposed to be here tomorrow. (I would've just gotten the B7, but the C7 was only about $100 more and I could get it shipped for free.)

I'm spending another few hundred bucks to get an engineer to align and calibrate it from top to bottom, but (as I said before) to me this is just standard procedure.

Gardo and EddieVanHalen like this.
  10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Any updates from owners? I'm about to pull the trigger and get one - hoping that there wil lbe a sale this weekend for Labor Day.

My 2015 Sony 4K is probably only worth 500 on the used market - and it's a fine TV. But I want the OLED :)

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

You may want to have a look at this: LG Offers Labor Day Sale on 4K OLED Ultra HD TVs | High-Def Digest

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Over the July 4th Fry's Electronics (a local, reputable dealer) had the 65" C7 on sale for $1999.That's a deal I think very well may happen again. Beach camera online has been going as low as $2300 recently too.

13. Oatsdad

I'm very pleased with my 65" LG C6! Once I got the settings half-decent, it's looked great!

Still need to get it calibrated. Been waiting until it's "broken in", so I'll get it done soon - though I probably want to wait until I finally add Atmos speakers. The brand I got for all my other speakers has a new model their rep says will work best for Atmos, so I can wait a little longer until those are available to go for calibration...

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, I paid less than that: about $1900 for an OLED55C7 delivered. But I wound up spending about another $1200 on a LUT box and 5 hours of calibration. It's dead-on accurate now.

That sounds like a "too good to be true" price. The legit dealers like Amazon and Crutchfield want about $3K for the 65".

15. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I purchased an LG OLED 65" tv in April.

love it.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wouldn't trust them Rob.

Price is way too low. Something is fishy.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I've been researching low prices on the TV - and basically all are scams except Amazon and Beach Camera. Some Local stores such as Fry's, Brandsmart(Florida), and Best Buy. Most of the others like JoesAV and TVSuperstore seem to be scams - or scammy.

I ended up buying an LG OLED65E7P 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017 Model) from Fry's Electronics in San Diego. (Fry's is a large chain that is authorized to sell and very trusted in San Diego.)

The cost of the TV on the floor is $3996.99 and the total came to $4313.76 with tax and recycling fee and free delivery.

BUT - they then did a price adjustment and lowered the TV cost to $2496.99 - that's $1500 off. I got a refund of $1616.25 --making my OUT the door price of $2697.51! (They have to do it in this order for some strange reason - they can't just sell it to you at the lower price - I'm sure it is a business reason so it doesn't have to make sense.)

They are delivering it tomorrow.

19. Oatsdad

Did a quick search and couldn't find any reviews of "Zib Deals".

Sometimes there are new e-tailers with great prices that work - like the one who had the Beatles mono box for like $60 last year.

But $1600 for the C6? That's stupid cheap and really hard to swallow as legit.

I paid $2400 for mine 2 months ago - and that was a great price then! I find it hard to believe they've dropped $800 in two months!

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have been told that they're blowing out last year's LG OLED 6-series sets, because word got out that the 7-series was a lot better. For the money, $1600 for a 55" B6 ain't bad at all.

21. Oatsdad

Yeah, but that "Zib Deals" link claims they'll sell you a 65" C6 for $1590!

Like I said, that's $800 less than I paid 2 months ago - and when I bought my C6, they were more commonly going for around $3000.

$1590 for that same set smells fishy as fishy can be...

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's probably so that they can keep the normal selling price high on paper, while periodically being able to lower the final price. This way that can drop the refund promotion at any time, while preserving the original high price of the model (customers don't see the advertised price yo-yoing all over the place, which would be bad).

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was just at Costco in West LA this afternoon, and they had the 65" LG OLEDC7 for $2995 as a Labor Day special, which is a pretty good price -- $600 off. I also saw a Samsung 82" LCD set, which I think was the biggest flat-screen I've ever seen on sale at an actual store (not at an electronics convention).

24. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm telling you that Fry's has great deals on them. My OLED65e7p just got delivered. The C7 price at Fry's is $2296 and the e7p was $2496 before tax.
    Now I have to set up the TV, inputs, redo my Harmony remote and tweak the settings as best I can.

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I've had my TV for about 30 hours and I am SUPER impressed by it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get HDR from my PC to turn on ONLY when I'm watching something with HDR - right now it's all or nothing.

I have not really tweaked the color - I'm turned "Power Saver" off = turned "Deep Color" on for my inputs, and it looks really good - maybe a bit too much red titl in some scenarios.

Deadpool 4K HD disc looks great. I bought Planet Earth II but I'm gong to start watching it tomorrow.

One downside I did not know about is there is no HBO GO apps for WebOS - lucily my Tivo and my Xbox One S both have it.

The grey stand and sound bar are not annoying - I may cover the stand with some fabric but I don't get reflections off the sound bar.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.