Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Audio playback from a YouTube video is probably not the best way to determine what something actually "sounds" like.

jusbe, DaleClark, lonelysea and 5 others like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I don't hear thin bright unless the recording is thin and bright. These amps are pretty true to source in my experience with them over several months of ownership.

3. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Pretty awful way to make a judgment on something you haven't heard in real life. I own the A-S1100, baby brother to the A-S3000. I would never describe this amp as thin or bright. In fact the bass is quite prodigious if your speakers are up to the task, and the midrange has just a hint of warmth and plenty of body. In fact, coming from a line magnetic tube amp, this thing has more in common with a great KT-88 based amp than anything.

Really unfortunate about the A-S3000 failures, enough of this happening around the web and different reports, that it obviously had some issues, possibly a circuit design or faulty part that made its way into a batch of units. Hope they figure it out. For $7k you should get a product that works perfectly and lasts a lifetime (a la McIntosh.)

lonelysea, F1nut and T'mershi Duween like this.
  4. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

What a crock of s__t. I have an A-S2100. It is far from thin and bright.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

With all due respect, you're simply making unsubstantiated claims based on nothing but your bias. Luxman makes great performing and incredibly well built products made to last.

sfoclt and scobb like this.
  6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Let me get this straight, you're judging the fidelity of audio components based on YouTube videos most likely shot with a smartphone. Do you honestly believe you have a prudent takeaway?

timind, dchang81, Helom and 5 others like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Comparing like with like the Yamaha sounds metallic and bright. Other amps on YouTube sound more even handed. However I added it might be just these are badly recorded. Do you think Micheal Fremer's YouTube videos are unrepresentative of the sound of the equipment portrayed? I do think they give at least an idea of tonality. Some people like an etched 'hi-fi' sound, I don't and go for musicality over detail. The impression I'm getting is these may swing towards the former. That with reliability issues reported and the UK retail price would rule these out for me. I do understand people who paid for these will get upset. They obviously like what they are hearing but I think retro looks and facilities play a major part in their choice here. Lets say I'm happy with more minimalist designs having got shiny silver bling out of my system 40 years ago.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

In fact I am listening this morning to the Karajan version the The Ring on DG. A rich nuanced recording in all its glory.

Postman Paul, sfoclt and bruce2 like this.
  9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Never gonna use my computer speakers to audition hifi gear. Don't think that'd be wise...............

timind and sfoclt like this.
  10. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

You're still comparing the sound of amplifiers based on YouTube videos, which is ultimately ridiculous.

siebrand, jusbe, timind and 6 others like this.
  11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I like comparing the picture quality of 4k TV's on my old cathode ray TV?

timind, dchang81, sfoclt and 2 others like this.
  12. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Fremer gets to start with a 7 (maybe 8?) figure system straight into a really nice DAC. Most people are recording room sounds with their phone, or perhaps a reasonable quality microphone, or maybe even into a decent DAC. With Fremer's carefully done digitizations, and a good pair of headphones, you could probably get a sense of how something sounds, but ultimately, this would still be a ridiculous way to pass final judgement on how something sounds, or does not sound.

13. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I've owned the A-S2100 for nearly 2 years and I would not describe the sound reproduced as bright or thin. To me the sound is very warm but NOT a heavy "boomy" bottom. I don't get any fatigue from long listening sessions. Lots of power can blow the pictures off the wall but I don't usually turn it any higher than 10:30-11:00 o'clock. The sound is warm, balanced, and seems to get better and better. I highly recommend.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What brand bias? They explained they liked the smooth and rich traditional Yamaha sound. They overall seem to all but gush over this amplifier. Seeing it with the top cover removed, and the controls as described, I can't argue with this being a nicely built unit, more of which we need from Yamaha and the Asian mainstream brands. This magazine to me seemed to want a little less brash high treble in the voicing. They were ecstatic about the build quality, the control feel, and liked the sound as a rule. Yamaha needs to create a higher end brand for products like this, and market them through specialty dealers. We need more Yamaha built and sounding like this.

Daedalus likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm not auditioning just using basic tonality of those systems used as a guide and not making proper comparisons. I know at least one speaker used and normally it would not be so metallic and bright. A bright amp isn't going to sound warm as a warm amp is not going to sound bright, if they are HD recordings. For general tonality a competent Youtube upload will mostly sound similar for a product I have heard in the real world. I don't hear Harbeths sounding like MA speakers on Youtube for instance. So if something sounds dreadful I am not going to waste my time getting an audition. If I've missed a gem so be it. It's a useful guide only, even if 50% accurate it still potentially can save time and money. Differences will be much greater if you actually do a real world comparison, but I would say 90% chance they won't be entirely flipped. It's just another tool for narrowing down a list of options. Even if just to show looks, size and features these videos are often helpful.

16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

This may sound silly. Maybe try to buy one from another dealer (best if high volume-better chance of more recent build). The models you had earlier may have been from a defective "run". I know its a pain...maybe something to try.

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  17. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I have a AS1100 in black with the dark brown sides. Absolutely love it. I just want to change the globes in the VU metres to a different colour. But I'm to scared to even lift the lid on it.

sfoclt and The Pinhead like this.
  18. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

Hello to all.

I've just joined the forum.

I'm buying one of these in December. I realise there is an 8 hour standby switch that can be switched off.

Has anyone else had this issue of them shutting down or are they isolated (anoying I realise) incidents?

I know from the past that many brands develop faults, i've had problems with almost every brand in existence at some point so trying not to let this out me off.

Thanks

Andy

19. MiesDavis

MiesDavis Well-Known Member

The two are not remotely similar. The designers of the A-S2000 were aiming for purity of sound and naturalness. They arrived there and with the most optimally matched speakers--in my experience Vienna Acoustics, Harbeth and 2-way ATCs--but do not have the grunt/current delivery to drive more demanding speakers well.

The A-S3000 designers were aiming for a more powerful sound and they hit that mark. I chose the A-S3000 over McIntosh equipment in direct comparison in my home. When I chose to downsize, I bought a Rogue Cronus Magnum II and arrived at a very similar sound. The A-S3000 is far more tube-like and while its voicing is natural, it can drive a far wider selection of speakers well in my opinion.

jusbe, Daedalus and lonelysea like this.
  20. MiesDavis

MiesDavis Well-Known Member

The class D in my XC90 with Bowers & Wilkins speakers is pretty impressive.

I think class D has come a long way and I'm currently tempted to sell my Rogue Pharaoh and buy the Rogue Medusa. The class D/tube combo is amazingly well implemented.

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought the Rogue Pharoah is just the Rogue Medusa plus a preamp? :confused:

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I can somewhat understand this impression you got from Youtube. I agree that some of the video reviews give the sonic impression of a cheap AVR. I was a bit surprised because I've had the A-S1100 in my system before and didn't find it bright, analytical or offensive. I also noticed that most of these videos appear to have been recorded by amateurs, likely with a camcorder or phone.

I recently switched out my Parasound Halo integrated (widely known for a smooth presentation) for my humble Yamaha A-S500. The Yamaha is actually a more musical, smooth, and natural sounding amp with my newest speakers. In fact, to my ears, it does everything at least 90% as well as the Halo. Now I'm considering a return to the A-S1100, possibly the 2100. This is definitely a synergy issue as my older speakers performed better with the Halo.

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But I thought the Halo should stack up well against the Yamaha since it was designed by John Curl, a real big deal amplifier designer ... :confused:

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am not sure how much input John Curl provided for the lower priced Parasound amps.

25. Helom

Helom Forum member

It does stack up well against the Yamahas. The Halo's performance is exceptional considering its price and features. It's just that the budget Yamahas are exceptional bargains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.