Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

...of, of course, I can just dig out my copy on LP from back when it was a new release.

Thanks for the insights!

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Do you know if that LP was sourced from the tape used in the State of Wonder set?

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

It's the original "digital stereo" LP release, so I'd guess not.

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Sorry, David, but the sound of the piano on that original (1982) LP of the Goldbergs was just ugly. The sound quality is the same harsh, early digital junk that one encountered so often back then.
    If you want to stick with vinyl, Sony has re-released that LP, remastered in 2015, and it looks just like the original.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldberg-Var...=1-9&keywords=glenn+gould+goldberg+variations

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Quoth my poor, maligned car radio: "Oh, kinda like a digital piano instead of an acoustic grand?" ;) :D

I never really paid a lot of attention to differences in sound between "digital" and "analogue" LPs, but when CD entered my life, I actually gave a good bit of thought to how it sounded relative to its format forebears. For whatever it's worth, at least on the system I had at the time, I considered the harpsichord to be the "winner" in the awful sound category on those early digital recordings. Many or most that I heard had this weird distortion that just drove me up the wall. I was more tolerant of piano recordings, but not really happy with them, either. My complaint about those, specifically reissues of those predating the advent of digital, was that digital of the day tended to "dry them out," to turn them hard and bright relative to a corresponding analogue issue. For organ music, on the other hand, I considered the CD, with its absolute pitch stability, a godsend.

And if you had so much as hinted back then that I was any kind of "audiophile," I would have laughed in your face. :crazy:

6. Brian McKibben

Brian McKibben New Member

On the topic of emi c 069-11677, Erik Satie's "Mercure-Socrate," I went to a record swap in San Francisco Sunday and picked up a copy (the French pressing) for $5 ... The record and the cover +booklet are in at least A- condition! I was completely unaware of this work. The only orchestral piece I knew of his was "Parade." I think I was extremely lucky! I've only just listened to the first side. I'm saving the second side for a bit later.

Wes H likes this.
  7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I think you nailed it with that description of how early digital processing tended to "dry them out." Indeed!
    You might have laughed at being called an "audiophile," but I think it really comes down to just caring about the accuracy of sound. You obviously cared about music and you heard differences in recordings. That's good enough to set you on the road to becoming a hopeless audiophile!

George P likes this.
  8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Elisabeth Brauss
    Debut
    Oehms, 2017
    She plays Beethoven, Prokofiev, Chopin & Denhoff. I particularly liked her Beethoven.
    It was recorded pretty close-up and the piano may be too romantic sounding overall.
    [​IMG]

9. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Michel Beroff
    Gewandhaus Orchesra
    Kurt Masur
    Excellent discs
    Prokofiev: Piano Concertos; Overture on Hebrew Themes; Visions Fugitives
    EMI, 1992

royzak2000 and bruce2 like this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, one of the roughly 30 versions of the Beethoven 9th from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

I don't believe I have many recordings by Della Casa. My understanding is she was awesome!

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A great set!

12. coopmv

She "studied" under the same teacher as Witold Malcuzynski and I have the EMI Icon box ...

[​IMG]

13. dale 88

a little Mozart to start today's listening:

Jean-Pierre Rampal
    Mozart: Six Sonatas for harpsichord and flute
    Rossini: Two Quartets for flute, clarinet horn, and bassoon.
    Erato, 2015
    Disc 10
    Volume 1, the Complete Erato Recordings

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  14. coopmv

An interesting box but unfortunately none of the baroque performance was with any HIP ensemble ...

15. dale 88

I know. :righton:

16. coopmv

Those Jean-Francois Paillard Chamber Orchestra's rendition of baroque works just don't sound right to me thirty years after I bought those LP's and they are all collecting dust. While the ASMIF under Marriner still performed on modern instruments, they are quite a few notches above the JFP Chamber Orchestra. Rampal was a regular fixture with the latter, which was probably a French baroque champion back in the day before the HIP movement really got started ...

Rmihai0 likes this.
  17. dale 88

I am not a fan of Jean-Francois Paillard either.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  18. coopmv

His orchestra reminds me of the Boston Pops in some way ...

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ciderglider likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

After living with and listening to this Brahms set for a while I am still having reservations about it. Recently I listened back to back to the 3rd and 4th Symphonies from this set then my old Solti Chicago Symphony discs. Both times I came away feeling that I prefer the Solti interpretations! Both the Solti and Nelsons have excellent sound quality, some of the best I have heard with a full warm sound and good bass. Of course the Solti Brahms are classic Decca analog recordings made in the 70s, engineered by Kenneth Wilkinson who I gather is well regarded for audiophile recordings. I just find that at times Nelsons is too slow and drawn out, I find the Solti to have better tempos and more urgency power and passion. For someone looking for a set of Brahms symphonies I don't think you could go wrong either way though.

geralmar, dale 88 and ubertrout like this.
  21. coopmv

I would not have minded if there were more recordings by the Leonhardt Consort but Vivarte 1 has far too many recordings by Tafelmusik, which is just a decent baroque ensemble but not outstanding IMO. When I already have many baroque recordings by the likes of English Consort, AAM, English Baroque Soloists and the ASMIF, Tafelmusik just does not cut it IMO ...

geralmar likes this.
  22. coopmv

I don't even know who Andris Nelson is. But if I have to choose between him and Solti, I would choose Solti everytime ... :hide:

The dude in LA is hot but I do not share the Californian enthusiasm ...

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:confused:

That's weird, you've discussed Nelsons before.

24. coopmv

I do not have a single recording by him ...

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

We discussed Andris Nelsons when he was mentioned as a successor to Mariss Jansons as principal conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra a few years ago. Daniele Gatti was appointed instead.