Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

That would be perfect for those plant employees who couldn't decipher the meaning of "Side 1" on the label. :laugh:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's what I was thinking. :D But maybe those guys had to work so fast that they had no time reading words on the labels.^^

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It was on one side of cassingles that were the same on both sides. But it wasn't on seven inch singles.

c-eling likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or it was a symbol for the company's president at that time.

5. Gems-A-Bems

:confused: How do you figure that?

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just guessing. I have no direct clue about that, especially because I don't own any original Columbia LPs from that era.

7. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

Just found this thread. Always wondered what it was as well. The first release I remember buying with the symbol on it was the cassette version of Joe Piscopo's New Jersey album. That was in '85. They also started doing the side labeling with the bold faced number 1 and 2 around that time as well, I believe.

I don't have it at my current residence, but does anyone have a copy of Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Volumes I and II? It came out the same year, but I don't recall it having the symbol. I had the vinyl. I know some CD versions had other songs appended to the track list that didn't feature on the first editions, and subsequent CD reissues followed that formula.

8. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

This thread never gets old.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Especially when the armchair detectives come in and give a bunch of suggestions that have already been discussed to death.

10. Gems-A-Bems

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

11. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

Thanks! Well, that clears that up. So is it safe to assume the symbol started in '85? I know as far as Billy's albums go, it's not on An Innocent Man, which came out in '83. Not sure off the top of my head what I have from '84 that's on CBS to check that year.

Edit: I did some sleuthing, and 1984 must have been the year of the symbol's debut as the tape version of Born in the USA has it, as do some others.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If you read this thread then all of that information is included, including the exact month.

Synthfreek and elvissinatra like this.
  13. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

This has puzzled me and my family for years also.
    I remember back in the 90's, we would talk about what the heck this "triangle thingy" was on CBS related cassettes and CDs. My dad said he bought a copy of British Steel by Judas Priest in 1984 that had the "triangle" on it. And that's the first time he noticed it.

So in a way, some of us have been stumped about it since the beginning!

14. Dynamic Ranger

Wait, it might have been Defenders Of The Faith. Since that was actually released the same year. British Steel didn't become available on CD until 1986 IIRC. But it was definitely 1984 when he first saw it.

therockman likes this.
  15. Dynamic Ranger

There are also many cassettes and LPs of titles from the 70's that have it. Though they may have been pressed/made at a later time.

:shrug:

16. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

Yeah, any of my original white shell Columbia tapes from the '70s don't have it, but I do know that reissues certainly do, especially when they went to clear shells.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Eleven years later and still no definitive answer.

18. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

Symbol signifies a recording that was available in three formats: LP, tape and Compact Disc. Each point of the triangle representing the format.

19. Gems-A-Bems

It appeared on releases that were not available on three formats.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I've always wondered why Steve Hoffman has never commented in this thread. I would assume he'd know the folks that would know the answer or have a clue about this symbol and or logo.

On the other hand, we'd might all be very disappointed if we ever got the answer. Sort of like finally hearing Carnival of Light.

andrewskyDE, morgan1098 and DHamilton like this.
  21. DougP

DougP Member

This is probably known but I found the symbol on side 1 on cassette tape of Billy Joel's The Stranger. No mention of Sony.
    I am guessing it's a re-release that came out during the 80's or so since the cassette is clear and there is a big barcode on the front cover.
    Didnt expect to see it on a re-release?

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They probably told him that he'd never work in this business again if he told.:D

23. Those in the know aren't allowed to comment on the triangle. We don't want harm coming to our friends and family.

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

We need someone from the Art Dept at CBS because they would have gotten a phone call or a guide sheet to know whether to place the triangle or not. This is why I incline to the idea that this is something from upper mgt rather than a manufacturing/sales related symbol.

25. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Ok, whilst watching a YouTube video the other day (it's a guy who posts videos of himself opening military food parcels, some as old as the 1950s), I noticed behind him a box of supplies that had the (nearly) identical logo on one of the boxes.

I say nearly, the only difference being that the point of the triangle inside the circle is the the point faces upwards.

The thing that struck me though, is that inside the triangle are the letters "CD".

I have a screenshot of the box on my phone, but since photobucket has changed, I can't figure out how to post it here, but it's there!

This is just getting weird now :eek: