Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

A bit of a warning--there are two versions of the BRENDA LEE IN TOKYO album, and I don't know of any way to tell the difference besides listening. The original is truly a live album (from what was a TV concert in Japan). Later (maybe because Decca U.S. was unhappy with the sound--after all this was 1965 technology) the music was replaced with her studio recordings of the same songs and applause was overdubbed. Neither version ever came out in the U.S.

John B Good likes this.
  2. ezbud

ezbud Active Member

Hi! New here. I joined the forum just because of this thread. I've had the best time reading everyone's posts; thank you SO much. I feel like you all have rummaged through my house and found all of my records. It's great to find people with similar tastes. It's been really fun to see the love for Helen O'Connell, Monica Zetterlund, Ella Mae Morse (that last lp The Morse Code is awesome), my beloved King Sisters (Marilyn had a fantastic voice; I wish she had gone solo), and the GREAT Marilyn Maye. Oh, what I wouldn't do for those Juliette albums...

I've tried to search the thread, and I don't think I see any mention of her yet, so how about Carol Sloane? There are a couple really great albums on Columbia in the early sixties, then she came back in the eighties and nineties. This is from her album "Live At 30th Street". I've always thought it was a lovely version.

AnalogJ, Ridin'High, Bob F and 2 others like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Welcome here. You are not too late - we have long, long way to go.
    Carol Sloane was like great wine - getting better with time. Thank you for posting.

Ridin'High likes this.
  4. toilet_doctor

Thank you for the warning. I wanted to warn everyone myself. I don't except to get very good sound with those live recordings. I bought them mostly for the covers sake. I do have a couple of blues Mini LP from this Oldays Records series: Earl King 1960-65 and Cecil Grant 1958. Grant sounds better at the level Good/Very Good, while King is not as good. Covers, however, are very well done. I will comment on the sound, when they arrive.

5. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

So it appears The Second of Maye - Marilyn Maye - Live From The Living Room. Now you can hear the album I found back a year ago.

The Second of Maye - Marilyn Maye - Live From The Living Room Playlist

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    ezbud and toilet_doctor like this.
  6. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

Welcome! I still think it's amazing to have found folks who listen to songs and records I do. When I was living in Alaska I didn't think anyone did.

I first found Carol Sloane on a reissue CD of her first LP from a library in Fairbanks. I was wowed. That song you posted is indeed lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

So much new/old to hear and love.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Some of Carol Sloane's best albums were recorded for Japan only. Look for those! She also recorded an obscure album in one of her comebacks, called Subway Tokens. Worth hearing!

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is from one of Carol Sloane's albums I've always liked (1996), including the verse Sinatra didn't sing:

The Songs Sinatra Sang - YouTube
    The Songs Sinatra Sang by Carol Sloane on Spotify

9. toilet_doctor

Audiophile Records is not far away from Japanese in this regard. Carol Sloane is, probably, their second favorite singer after Lee Wiley.

10. toilet_doctor

P.S. I'm glad they both are legit for out thread...

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

One of the best first albums by a singer from her generation

[​IMG]

ezbud and Stu02 like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A scuffed cover copy of an advance promo copy of one of the best first albums, making it even more special

[​IMG]

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Essential previously unreleased material. two different CDs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. toilet_doctor

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    ezbud likes this.
  15. toilet_doctor

One more from the same site:

[​IMG]

ezbud likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I'll second Tribute here. I managed to find a copy of this a year or 2 ago and it has quickly become a favorite with me

17. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I know this isn't a "look what I just found!" thread, but I wanted to show some great singers I've snatched up over the past two weekends. Hit up an estate sale with tons of LPs, as well as a flea market over Labor Day, and walked away with plenty of obscure female vocalist albums! I'm pretty excited to give them all a listen! Have these all been discussed?

[​IMG]

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Get into Dorothy Collins! A superb singer not well represented on LP. Her life story is fascinating.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  19. Nathan Aaron

- It is one of my favorites in this grouping! This particular LP has a Latin theme. It feels very "Rosemary Clooney" in style, to me. Also own her Christmas LP. But otherwise (in vinyl) she's a hard one to find!

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Her Coral LP (I think the title was Picnic) is good. In her real heyday, LPs were not typical for singers. She raised a family too, which limited her work. And her husband, the genius Raymond Scott, was probably a lot to deal with.

21. toilet_doctor

I've got it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mylene, ezbud and Nathan Aaron like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

You found MOON GAS by Dick Hyman and Mary Mayo?!?!? Is it an original? Do you know what an INSANELY RARE record that is?

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I always assumed that was you in your avatar. But is it Herbie Mann?

Ridin'High and Nathan Aaron like this.
  24. Nathan Aaron

- Yes, yes I do! And it is an original. I was flipping through the LPs in Goodwill and hit that one and let out a "Holy crap! Are you kidding me?!" It's got two good scratches on it currently causing two song issues, but otherwise nice! And I just noticed when you flip the record over to read the back, the word stereo is shown, almost covered up. So maybe this is the stereo version? Not sure. But I do realize I found a Holy Grail LP this past weekend! Mary Mayo was from NC, which is where I also live!

[​IMG]

Ridin'High likes this.
  25. Nathan Aaron

- I'm not shirtless and sweaty in my avatar, so unfortunately it's just me! :D If you'd see his later album covers it would make sense! LOL But this is a great LP for the singing of Tamiko Jones!

Ridin'High likes this.