Bowers & Wilkins to release new speaker series?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vern, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received an email from them a few days ago with below image. Wonder what the big announcement is.

[​IMG]

2. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

700 series with continuum

3. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

I dearly hope so. Back in 2014, I was excited to hear they were planning on introducing a new line (was hoping it would be like a floorstanding version of the PM1) but was disappointed that they were just revamping the CM series. Hopefully this is a new line proper.

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

As noted by @dchang81 - it's the new 700 series. Looks a lot like the CM series. Here's a link to a Swedish site. Details are not in English, but there are some images. B&W700-serie

Matt Richardson likes this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Image from twitter

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Looks like CM series the with 'continuum' mid range driver, at very similar price point.

7. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I assume those are 6 1/2 inch drivers in the floorstander and 5 inch on the bookshelf? Interesting they diverted from the CM series that keeps the 6 1/2 inch woofer in the bookshelf.

Here's the google translated text:

Outstanding sound and dynamism even in large listening room
    Highs in the separate House gives extra fine stereo image
    Nice finish in lacquer or real wood veneer
    Continuum FST-mellanregister for crystal-clear reproduction of voices and instruments
    Massive armament in relation to size

702 S2 is 700-series flagship. Here you get both a major audio and more advanced technology than in the smaller models. The separate tweeter housing on top of the Cabinet have been inherited from the 800 Diamond series and improves both the proliferation and the stereo perspective.

Compared with 703 S2 has B&W this succeeded in adding a third base elements without making the Cabinet above. The massive armament makes it possible to get an impressive clean, deep and dynamic sound in the lowest octaves.

With 702 S2 – and a matching amplifier – you can be sure to get a genuine full-range sound picture of the highest carat, regardless of genre and sound pressure. An audiophile ALLROUNDER with so many that certainly requires some space but in return receipt with great musical experiences.

702 S2 is available in genuine rosewood, matt white or black finish.

8. Vern

Damn, looks like the CM series is being discontinued in light of this.

9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah.

Given the similarities in design and price point, the new 700 series is the actual replacement.

It would be interesting to know if the new series are made in the U.K or like CM in China.

Regards

10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

With the price point fairly close to the CM series, I'd be pleasantly surprised if these speakers are made in the U.K. I certainly hope they are.

Either way, the coming few months might be a good time to buy CM series speakers at discounted prices. Wouldn't mind a CM6 personally.

11. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

Thanks for the update guys. From what I've gathered, it seems like Continuum is superior to Kevlar. I read lots of good things about that when the latest 800 Diamonds were introduced, with people saying the new drivers sound less "colored."

12. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I think a new 800 series that has the low frequency drivers "back in the cabinet" where the speaker does not look like a fire plug would just be great!:righton:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

14. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

The old 703 speakers were $3000 US. I had a pair of those. The one price being quoted was $1200. This leads me to believe the CM series is conveniently being retired and a switcheroo is taking place and is called an improvement.

15. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Looking at those pics, makes me think what if it was possible to replace my CM10 s2 kevlar cones with continuum ones? :D
    Perhaps all other parameters in regards to the crossover etc are the same?
    Cheers

16. triple

triple Senior Member

Massive armament in relation to size.

Google translator can still score. ;)

Rolltide and Matt Richardson like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow I was thinking of getting new speakers soon and these have caught my attention! I was leaning towards Spendor 3/5 or A4 but these new 700s are a little cheaper and the review you posted said they really improve on the CM series. I would be interested in the big bookshelf model at $1800 or the small floorstander at $2500. I believe the Spendor A4 floorstander is $3000. It helps that I have a B&W dealer fairly close while the nearest Spendor dealer is in the middle of New York City!

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I wonder how these would sound compared to the Dynaudio Excite series. For example they both have a large bookshelf model of very similar size and both cost $1800. Wish I could compare them before buying but that's probably not possible in this day and age.

19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Now it sounds almost as if the only difference between the 700s and the 800s are the cabinets(?)

SamS likes this.
  20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Here's a video from What Hifi

21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

22. Vern

Wonder how much this will impact secondhand marketplace CM series value.

23. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Pice's are dropping as I type

24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Looks good. Looking forward to listening soon.

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Dropping. Definitely a buyer's market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.