Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Jumping ahead a bit, but do you know if it's true that Pip Williams played some of the leads on the stuff he produced? Can't remember if I read that or whether I invented that.
    Yeah I had a really good interview with the band (long lost now though) where they talk about being unhappy with the sound of the Quo album as well. I love it, but they talked about trying to remedy its 'faults' with On the Level, though not I'm entirely sure they succeeded there.

2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

It's true that Pip played some parts, he said so in interviews. I don't think he played lead guitar bits until the 80s, though.

Ma Kelly likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The Hello version of 4500 Times has always been a disappointment to me. The fade out, plus it just doesnt sound great. It sounds monumental on the live version from '76, the studio version sounds, dare i say it, a bit lame by comparison. Perhaps that is a weakness in hearing the live version first.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. Almost Simon

I need to check now. I have a copy of the reissue with extra track but can't remember which version i have, will need to check tomorrow morning.

5. Almost Simon

They didnt like Quo?? :wtf: They havent a clue. I love it and I am right :D

marcfeld69, Ma Kelly and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You certainly are.

Almost Simon and Ma Kelly like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Hello is another classic. My favorites are Caroline (possibly my favorite Quo song.), Softer Ride, and Roll Over Lay Down. Blue Eyed Lady and Forty-Five Hundred Times are pretty good as well.

The slow version of Caroline was pretty cool among the bonus tracks.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Yeah I wish I still had the interview as it was really interesting. I think it was just before Blue For You came out (or maybe just after OTL came out) and they were talking about how they couldn't get the sound of Quo right so they were disappointed with it. It was interesting hearing (well, reading) them talk about them getting it right with OTL knowing that at the time of the interview ROATW was yet to come...if only they would have just produced every subsequent album like OTL, eh?!

Also had an interview with Spud talking about If You Can't Stand The Heat and he's raving about Accident Prone, describing it as a blues song. Blues? Spud was the one member who didn't do coke right?! Must have been pissed the day of that interview!

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

It's also maybe a bit too clever for its own good. It was obviously intended to replace Gotta Go Home as the Long Song, but I kinda like how that song was so epically stupid, all on one chord. No pretending to be clever there with tempo changes and whatnot!

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's great on Hello! but that's the first recording of it. 4500 Times naturally got stronger and stronger as they played it live.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

I like Accident Prone but its disco to my ears. Perhaps a lazy view to take but certainly not blues.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Almost Simon

I reckon there must be better versions of it in the can. Fade out wasnt a good idea. Much better live.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's my one criticism of Hello! A fade out to end the album is anticlimactic.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I actually really like the 1982 live version on one of the DVDs - The Party Ain't Over maybe? Hate the live at the NEC album and hate Kircher's drums on his two albums, but that version is a blinder and made me appreciate Kircher more than I had done. Pretty epic performance.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Accident Prone! But that's for later...

JulesRules likes this.
  16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

No I think it's unarguably disco too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's bloody brilliant! I saw it as an extra on The Party Ain't Over Yet DVD. A very good DVD.

18. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

That's the one. I just edited my post! With the Wembley 1974 footage too!

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I wish there was more live footage from the 70s. What is there? Doing Their Thing and the Beat Club 1970, Marquee 1972, Wembley 74, the Spanish 75 set and Bingley Hall 76, none of which are full sets. Maddening!

mikmcmee, Kieran White and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Funny that this thread should pop up today, as I've just cleaned and played a French Vertigo original vinyl copy of Blue For You, and I have probably the oddest of questions... Why is my copy in mono? No, of course, it doesn't say "mono" on the cover or labels, but it plays in mono: zero difference, on any track, when I punch in the Mono button on the receiver! A manufacturing flub I imagine...

21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure that's the case, as they dropped Is It Really Me/Gotta Go Home in 1973 and didn't start playing 4500 Times (with the Gotta Go Home extension) until 1975, I think.

22. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Hello is one cracking album and again a Quo album with very little to complain about.

1. Roll Over Lay Down (Parfitt/Lancaster/Rossi/Young/Coghlan) 5:43 - Fabulous and still sounds great live. Never tire of hearing it. Must admit to loving the acoustic version
    2. Claudie (Rossi/Young) 4:06 - I've no problem with this having a slight country feel to it. Solid album track
    3. A Reason for Living (Parfitt/Rossi) 3:44 Brilliant, simply brilliant
    4. Blue Eyed Lady (Parfitt/Lancaster) 3:54 As above
    5. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 4:19 Even though it has my ex-wife's name, this song is more of a classic than she was (bitchy..lol)
    6. Softer Ride (Parfitt/Lancaster) 4:02 The whole change in tempo and the rhythm all the way through is fabulous
    7. And It’s Better Now (Rossi/Young) 3:20 One of my favourite Quo slowies and again love the acoustic version
    8. Forty-Five Hundred Times (Rossi/Parfitt) 9:53 Classis in every sense of the word. Version on the Live album is better and for me I also think the Rock Til You Drop version is better too. So a classic in all 3 versions

For me Hello is more rounded and an improvement on Piledriver and much better than Quo which followed (I know someone who will hate me for saying that)

23. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

If I had more time I would write more expanded reviews but I know if we carry on with this thread all the way through to the latest albums I'll be more positive than negative on most things. Quo have rarely disappointed me on record over the years, with even the not so good albums having things that make them worth listening to for me. Even the much maligned Bula Quo album I find is really good apart from the bloody awful Mystery Island.

I see Accident Prone got a few mentions above. Now my understanding of disco might be different to everyone elses but to me it is nothing like a disco track and for me it is probably my favourite ever Quo song. I think it's probably a bit too polished for some, but I love the groove all the way through it. More so than Rockin All Over The World, Accident Prone could have been the one to break them in the States again.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Do you know, you're right! I'd always assumed they started doing 4500 Times straight away and I've perused this site many a time STATUS QUO ONLINE GIGOGRAPHY - On The Level Tour and hadn't noticed they didn't do the song till the 75 tour. How odd! I wonder why?

25. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Disco influenced then. Btw, I'm not calling it disco as an insult as I love the song myself. Certainly unique amongst their songs in terms of the groove that they lock in to and I love the footage of them doing it on German (I think) TV.

Man at C&A and Johns44 like this.