Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. You are not alone in your view but I would call you out on the line "needless digital step." It all depends on source and mastering and some analogues pressings of albums come from copies, so you already have a "needless " copy step in those cases. And this is something that was on original copies of albums from many artists historically. My guess is that you have a more than a few all analogue albums that were from copy tapes.

I have several reissue sets of records that actually sound better than originals because of great watering and are digital. Not owning any LPs that have a digital set is certainly a choice, but again the end sound is not always what you might believe it to be. Some of these remastered alb ums are extra,enly good. And yes some are bad.

Darrin Crawford and e.s. like this.
  2. I think any discussion is good and if someone limits their buying to all analogue LPs today, then that is their choice. But IMHO they are missing out on some very good records.

Darrin Crawford, e.s. and ego1jr like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've been disappointed that Fremer is reviewing so few albums lately.

ted321, richbdd01 and e.s. like this.
  4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

For what it's worth, AAA certainly doesn't equate to awesome sound in my book. I have plenty of stinkers, my ultimately criteria is whats the best available copy regardless of cost or inconvenience to obtain. Until I can score one of those I'll just enjoy digital files of said music. There is so little time in regards to all the other music constantly flowing into my collection and the countless upgrades etc, that I take it as it comes.

As far as extra analog steps (dubs) I do my best to chase country of origin for the best possible sound. I'm sure I have plenty of things that have extra steps. It comes down to which piece of music do I want to listen to & with my research which one is likely to sound best. For me best doesn't really factor in surface noise.

With the money I've invested in my analog rig, I'll certainly buy music with digital steps in them on occasion. Certainly new releases by younger artsists who don't have the $ or interest to demand AAA. In terms of reissues the one series that to me stands out as a winner and one I'd recommend is the Stones DSD pressings. Ultimately I really try and keep extra copies to a minimum though, my goal is always to keep my collection to around 2-2.5K records though and have largely sworn off buying any of the hi res cut LPs that dominate the reissue market now.

I can't close without commenting on one of my favorite canard lobed at folks who prefer mastering above all else: these folks must have perfect copies. Of course not. It's just that I'm willing to put up with a little surface noise for my ears is the real deal. Those are my tastes. In the meantime, I continue to enjoy my time reading and keeping tabs on the market via this site.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    hi_watt, chacha and jon9091 like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

I understand totally. I've caved a bit in buying some reissues with a digital step, only because it was the only way to check out the remastered version on vinyl from some of my favorite artists. Many sound really good.

If you want to try one of these, I recommend Madman. I have them all and this one sounds the best to me - although I am biased because that is my favorite EJ album.

They all sound great - and I have many originals, DJM and UNI.

Darrin Crawford, e.s. and Cassius like this.
  6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I know this is an autocorrect typo, but I still chuckled at the notion of records that sound better due to great watering!

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Madman Across the Water, Elton John, and 11-17-70+ are all excellent.

CBackley likes this.
  8. Friggen iPhones. I know I need to proofread these bettor. But watering does help some records :tiphat:

e.s. likes this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Tumbleweed, too.

10. chacha

Absolutely. One must be careful not to over water though.

11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Haven't had a chance to compare that to my DJM, but yes, it sounds great. I've listened to all by the most recent of the reissues at this point, and they've done a really fine job with them.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Just ordered the reissues I was missing (Elton John, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and Too Low For Zero). I also pre-ordered The Big Picture, Empty Sky, and Blue Moves.

I've been more or less happy with the vinyl reissues so far, and I would say in most cases the reissues sound better than the pressings I already had.

I think of all the titles I just listed, though, I'm looking forward to Blue Moves perhaps the most. I don't think it's among his best albums, but I do think it contains some of his best material never heard. (For example, "Cage the Songbird" and the overture for "Tonight".) And all the copies I've had since I was a kid have been less than satisfactory in terms of sound.

I'm glad to see Sleeping with the Past is due out in October. I really hope he reissues Peachtree Road at some point.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  13. Damn I wish I knew this earlier. I had a really clean copy of Blue Moves I would have sent you for free. Unfortunately it's no longer with us......

14. CBackley

I have a great sounding original US pressing of Blue Moves. But I'll still pick up the reissue. It's one of my favorite Elton albums.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think Blue Moves will be tough to improve on the original...it sounds pretty damn good in my opinion!

16. chacha

Where is it?
    :nyah:

17. Has anyone tried the wash basin?

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  18. CBackley

Yikes. Blue Moves is gonna need a good watering!

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  19. chacha

Radical Reconstructive Surgery is more like it.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

He is red! Kill him!

21. I just kill the Blue ones when it comes to EJ

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I'm also looking forward to Blue Moves - I always felt the original had hiss on the quiet passages (e.g. Tonight) so I'm curious how the remaster will sound. Also hard to find a clean copy that doesn't have ring wear marks on the sleeve.

Peachtree would be a nice release - but it seems they're only doing albums that NEVER had a vinyl release anywhere. Once Blue Moves and One Night Only come out, all of Elton's albums would have been available on vinyl at one time or another.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A lot of people love the transluscent DJM's so they must be awesome. I have tried to buy some and all of them were just too noisy, sometimes because they had been previously played a lot, or the pressing was simply poor. Our host recommends them as well. So, I have no doubt they are mastered well since you and so many others like them. It's just too difficult to source a good copy if you are in the US, so these reissues are a godsend for many of us. Glad you have copies to enjoy!

CBackley likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Right on :thumbsup:

Cassius likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not going to lie. I went through a bunch of copies before I came up with DJMs that were mostly quiet. My Honky took two different copies to get a NM on both sides. Im wondering if an ultrasonic bath would help. My buddy here at the local record store has one, maybe Ill give it a shot.

Jrr likes this.