McIntosh MA7900

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clanceman, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Man! Those dials and lights sure are "big"! What are you a doctor/lawyer? ..............:biglaugh:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. diononiz

diononiz New Member

The MA5200 does not. Just a single set of binding posts and an amp rating only listed for 8ohms. I hear the 804 diamonds drop to 3ohms. Not sure if these particular B&W's are "difficult" to drive. I am leaning towards a MA7900 or MAC6700. Having trouble trying to decide.

Does the stainless steel chassis make an audible difference? Is it better not to have a tuner? Not sure if I would use it as I have an A/V receiver that I will use with the integrated in bypass mode

3. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I also am starting to salivate over this one box solution. I have loved my C45 preamp with hopes of adding a power amp one day, but the one box solution with dac thrown in seems like a better bang for buck and space saver. The only negative is center channel support and sub controls...both of which I would miss. Buying a D100 and two channel mac amp seems so expensive to get the same result as this 7900.

I also promised myself I would never trade up from the c45. But it seems like doing so would fulfill my wishes to get all mcintosh.

I wonder how many other folks have sacrificed their beloved mcintosh preamp in order to afford an integrated mcintosh instead of splurging on dedicated power amp.

4. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I got a MA6600 amp and i have the same "pop" on power up!
    Everything is OK:righton:

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am surprised that the power-on process is so abrupt for a Mac ... :confused:

6. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Well, you're right, but the "pop" is very discreet!
    I guess it has something to do with the "power guard" function!

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha.....I'm neither, but with this habit I need both on standby. :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Slick Willie

I'm witcha' on that one!

Clanceman likes this.
  9. diononiz

diononiz New Member

I previously had a NAD M51 and a Classe CA2200 and like the one box Mcintosh approach better. It is simplier and with the home theater bypass I still have my home theater setup. The DAC in the Mcintosh out performs the NAD easily.

I have decided on the MA7900 as I think the tone controls will be far more useful than the redundant (for me) tuner.

10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Someone offered me one of these that was traded in after only a few weeks of use. A significant discount from retail of course. I had been looking at Sim Audio and Parasound integrateds. How do you thinks this will compare? I've got some older B&W DM604s, and I understand B&W and Mac stuff usually pair pretty well.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Lucky you! Try it out and see what you think. They hold their value better than most if you decide to move on latter. I like Simaudio a lot but would sure give MAC a try if I even get the chance.

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Just recently traded in my MA6300 for an MA7000. That mofo came screwed down to wood to support the additional LBs. Spinning through and revisiting all my favorite LPs to reset my baseline listening experience. The MA6300 was really nice, the MA7000 has some serious nuts to it.

13. coopmv

McIntosh is in an entirely different league from NAD ...

Clanceman and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. jeff133

jeff133 New Member

I just noticed this discussion, and I wanted to share my observations of a new MA8900, which is essentially the MA7900 with an upgradable DAC. I bought this amp because I've always loved the look of Mac gear and I wanted to treat myself to an heirloom product like the Mac. I had a Hegel h360 that I liked a lot before the Mac. It was an impulse buy for sure.

I have to say that I really lament selling the Hegel. In terms of sound quality, IMHO there's just no comparison between the two. To me, the Hegel is much more natural sounding. I've tried not to be quick to judge the Mac until it's been in my system for a month of burn in and "ear acclimation". Despite the wait time, I remain disappointed with the Mac. To my ears, there's a significant loss of musical information compared to the Hegel and music just sounds lifeless in comparison. The finer details in recordings are lost and it's hard to listen to my favorite music anymore knowing that I can't hear a lot of what I KNOW is there. It's like listening to AM after listening to FM. Even non-audiophile friends have commented about the change in sound quality compared to the Hegel. It's not subtle.

It's a shame because I really wanted to like the Mac. It looks GREAT in my living room, and the build quality is simply fantastic (MUCH nicer than the Hegel). The Mac was a huge investment, so I'm going to have to keep it. I'm hoping that it will grow on me as my memory of the Hegel fades, but I really wish I could turn back the clock instead.

For reference, I'm using Harbeth Monitor 30 speakers and digital files from an Aurender music server through the Mac DAC.

For the record, I'm not trying to put down McIntosh or the people who love their gear. McIntosh is a great company and I hope they stay in business for a long time. Everyone's listening preferences are different and I respect that. I'm just offering my own opinion. To my ear, there are better choices to be made for less money (when judged on sound quality).

Just my two cents.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the 7900.

I would have thought the Mac driving the Harbeths would have sounded very nice.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Sorry for your disappointment!
    One question though, are you judging using the onboard DAC's of these units? If so, have you tried the amps using an outboard DAC?
    Rock on!!!

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I had a 5200 integrated and enjoyed it very much. When I upgraded my speakers, that led to upgrading everything, and now I have a C47 pre, an MC275 tube amp, an MT-5 turntable with a Soundsmith MIMC Star, a PS AUDIO P5, and B&W 805D3's. I have to say, I am floored each and every day I listen. I have fairly critical ears, and I have yet to be disappointed.

I also stop looking. What I mean is, I have found that my joy is easily displaced by curiosity if I continue to look for "the latest and greatest". Sure, I upgrade little things here and there, but this rig is absolutely perfect for me, and I LOVE the McIntosh sound. Also, I have a bit of a love affair with my speakers, but that is another story ;)

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've got a McIntosh MC402 amp arriving today, followed by a C2300 tube pre hopefully by the end of the week! I can't wait! Been wanting McIntosh equipment since I was a teen.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Coricama and Clanceman like this.
  20. coopmv

I am much more in favor of mating an outboard or external DAC to a preamp instead of being stuck with a preamp with an outdated DAC, just saying ...

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Wise words!

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Totally agree. If a DAC is going to be part of a combo, I prefer it to be in combo with a disc spinner instead of a preamp/integrated.

23. coopmv

It is the same argument about receiver vs. preamp and amp - easier for upgrades. That is why I have used predominantly separates over the years ...

Coricama and ssmith3046 like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Has that amp and preamp made it to yet?

Clanceman and Coricama like this.
  25. coopmv

I am loving this, just being sarcastic here. So Mac just swapped out the older DAC from the MA7900, replaced it with an updated DAC and called the resulting product MA8900. Mac probably jacked up the price of the "new" integrated by another $1500 or $2 grands. The DAC itself may not cost more than $200-300, which is mass produced (not even made by Mac) and has found its way into many other preamps or integrated's ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.