Stephen King's Mr Mercedes on the Audience Network

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

Just by chance, I found out the Audience Network is airing Stephen King's Mr Mercedes as a series. I don't have DirecTV, so I don't have that network, but the first two episodes are free on line. I am really impressed...this show is extremely well done, but now that I've seen the first two, I don't know if there's any way to continue watching, short of moving to DirecTV...that ain't happening.

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've been watching and would agree that it's very good. It's on a slow burn and I only expect it to get better. A King story and one of the directors is Dennis Lehane, who wrote Mystic River, plus a sterling cast, the show's got legs! This show is in the time slot once occupied by a favorite of mine; Kingdom, a show that apparently, nobody else around here saw. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person on this forum that has the Audience Network/AT&T Uverse. This network does some very fine work, I very strongly recommend Mr. Mercedes!

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I stumbled upon this on accident. It's really faithful to the book (except the horny next door neighbor, I have zero memory of her). But this series at times is funny, weird, compelling, full of anxiety and incestually cringe inducing.

I hadn't even heard of this channel previous to two weeks ago.

4. Madness

I love Holland Taylor as the neighbor! That character wasn't in the book, but she's hilarious.

timztunz and Chris from Chicago like this.
  5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Ann-Margret was suppose to have that role but Holland Taylor is wonderful.

6. Chris from Chicago

Thank you. No wonder I didn't remember her. And I agree, she's perfect in that role.

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

And David E. Kelly has done some of the best work in television IMHO. I really like this series.

8. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I have Uverse, but I just recently found the Audience channel by watching their Sons of Anarchy replay. Has Mr. Mercedes aired only one episode so far? I need to watch this.

I can answer my own question now, I missed the pilot. I'm recording the On Your Mark episode later tonight. I'll just have to catch the first one when they air it again.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

If you have Uverse, you might want to check out 'free' show's on demand.

10. Chris from Chicago

This is a dark, dark show. Even the characters you are supposed to like have very real problems. Every character is great. It isn't the feel good story of the year but it's very well made.

sound chaser and Borgia like this.
  11. Madness

Just looked at the monthly cost of DirecTV Now or whatever it's called....$35 a month? They must be crazy. No way I'm paying that.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Show's moving a tad too slowly for me, especially for the limited amount of episodes. Coincidentally, there's another show that's real similar to it; The Sinner starring Jessica Beal. Another murder mystery featuring an older bearded white detective and his disgruntled black partner. MR. M's the better show but their both playing in the same sandbox.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mr Merc doesn't interest me, but I am watching The Sinner, which is quite good, but not the best of the best. If they dropped the whole sexual fetishism diversion from Pullman's character, it would be much better, more focused (though there is probably thematic overlap with Biel's character). Jessica Biel is great in it and it's good to see her on screen again.

14. Chris from Chicago

This is really getting good. Two broken men. One generally good. The other... not. But they're more alike than either one would ever admit. Stephen King is really good at writing about flawed characters. And just about everyone on this series... is.

Borgia likes this.
  15. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

I've been watching this.. like it a lot but I don't know if I'll be able to keep watching once my week free trial ends...

16. Chris from Chicago

My lordy. This is just about the most grim series I have ever laid eyes on.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

They definitely kicked it up a few notches last night! It's been a slow boil but it's definitely heating up. I mentioned another series; the Sinner, earlier in the thread. Well, it ended last night, and it was totally unsatisfactory. I sure hope Mr. M doesn't fizzle out the way the Sinner did (I don't think it will!).

18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

My wife & I had a good laugh at episode 3 when he was in the bar & the bartender said no problem. I've used pretty much the same rant on several occasions. That's one of my pet peeves these days with much of the current retail workforce. In some cases it can come pretty close to a passive-agressive response. Politeness is a dying art.

19. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

So awful what happened, that was horrible... I really didn't see it coming

I mean, Lou getting fired like that... totally uncalled for :shake:

20. Chris from Chicago

And the Emmy award for best burning arm goes to...

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Would love to watch this, but no DirecTV, no joy. Lame.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Well, that was quite simply one of the finest hours of television I've ever seen. Everything was exceptional. The acting, the story, the production, everything was on point. Tension filled and horrifying, the feeling that it's building to a confrontational crescendo is palpable. 2 episodes left, I have no doubt it's going to be excellent! Tellyawhat, THIS is horror done right, IMO it makes American Horror Story look like the Munsters!;)

23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Have any Canadians heard about this being shown up here?! Just read the King
    `trilogy', now want to watch the movie!

24. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Dude has Issues

Scotian likes this.
  25. Chris from Chicago

This show just oozes dread. The tone, the look on people's faces... even the walls make you feel dread.

The mom was still alive when Brady brought her upstairs... wasn't she? When he went to close her eyes. And then...