Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Worth a try! And your avatar is awesome. Love that show! On our third run through on dvd. To keep this on track, I guess I should say it would have been cool if Elton had contributed a song.

mpayan likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, everything about that album is first rate and gorgeous. I love the label, the inserts and first class cover. If I could just love the music I would really have something. I have tried so hard to like that album. Just too off the rails for me. I think you love it or hate it! I really respect he didn't play it safe and keep on going with the same ol. I can tell it's quality music, it just isn't my thing.

Darrin Crawford, soundQman and Mazzy like this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sourcing a good copy of any is difficult in the UK as well as ensuring you are getting a first pressing if buying on line. Went though a fair number to get acceptable copies with Self Titled through Madman the most difficult. Scratched a decent self titled and have been unable to find a replacement without some kind of audible wear or pressing flaw. Ultimately they are the best sounding but the new versions are very close and easy to obtain.

Jrr and richbdd01 like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

To quote Elton, "it's probably my least commercial album." It's an exhaustive listen, but there are gems on there like Tonight, Cage the Songbird, Chameleon. A lot of great instrumental work, especially from James Newton Howard, who you really have to credit Elton for giving him his big break.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  6. :tiphat:

7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Thanks for this. I've ordered a new copy of Madman and I'm looking forward to road testing it. It's also my favourite EJ album. I have a UK original and it sounds great but it's not in the sort of shape I normally require for a 'keeper'. The problem is, I haven't been able to find another one... These used to be everywhere but no more it seems (at least, not in a record shop and I don't often buy used LPs online...).

These EJ reissue LPs are still expensive in the UK with Madman being one of the worst for some reason...

teag likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sister Ray store in London and Amazon UK are selling Captain Fantastic for around £38!!!

9. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I have definitely been impressed with these reissues and for those of us in which the original DJM releases are out of reach in mint condition can be more than satisfied with these reissues. My only complaint is that no announcement has been made to cover his later releases. I am still baffled that for its anniversary that The One was not reissued. Not to mention Made in England, Peachtree Road, any of his remaining 70's and 80's releases. I also would think that a reissue of at least the first two Greatest Hits LPs would be ideal for the casual collectors.
    I am still having a feeling that once we all get these reissues in our collection, Mobile Fidelity might issue a small handful of releases on their own. Who knows but all I can say is enjoy the music!

e.s. likes this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Hmm....I'm not sure Mofi would be interested in a lot of his albums. They would only be interested in titles like Madman..., Tumbleweed, GBYBR....titles like that.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I bought numerous copies of an Eric Carmen album fron Japan. Finally got a perfect copy. I then dropped my turntable clamp on top of it and watched it skip acoss it, leaving a nice grooved trail as it laughed at me. So, you're not alone in damaging an album. I felt like an idiot though. Life is full of ironies. I wouldn't have cared if that had happened on hundreds of other titles.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really hope we see Made In England. It was the last album I really enjoyed.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I do really respect him for putting his career on the line and doing an album like Blue Moves. Sometimes I wish we could make ourselves love an album. I also respect that he sees that album as it is....not commercial. Yet, I think about half his fans here do like the album. I like a few of the songs, but as an album it's a tedious listen to me. Many here have suggested it would have been much better as a one disc album, but I doubt fans would agree. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when MCA got hold of it. I can't imagine they were thrilled. It might be a good idea for me to play it a few more times.

CBackley likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My accident was a record clamp as well. Just brushed it across the outer grooves. I did the same to a blue island copy of Solid Air that had just cost me £20+. Only two times I've damaged a record in 40 years. Now I'm ultra careful.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I've done it twice too. You'll love this. It was a brand new copy of Queen's Greatest Hits II. Turns out it sounds so awful I won't play it anyway, but I too am very careful now.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My only accidents have been when Record cleaning. Some records are finished really smooth at the edges and they can slip out your hand. Happened to me a couple of times...

Jrr likes this.
  17. I think for me it's that the orchestration is just so wrong. It's off or something. Very MOR.. I love what Paul Buckmaster did with Friends and the Elton S/T. Just brilliant and so modern/classic but on Blue Moves either he (IMHO) failed or was swayed by James Newton-Howrd who although talented, seems best suited on the soundtrack score style. And not in a good way. I think his work brings almost everything down.

I too really tried to like it back in 1976. I was managing a record store at the time and would play it occasionally in-store and every time the other employees made me take it off. We didn't sell very many.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Trans Siberian

Mazzy likes this.
  19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've got a Pickneyville vinyl pressing of Blue Moves. It's a little too "AOR - adult oriented rock aka soft rock" for me, but man, this pressing has huge bass.

I remember thinking on first listen that this sounds like something I'd hear a a bar mitzvah, and then I went to one and sure enough...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Mazzy and chacha like this.
  20. What a coincidence. This Saturday 9/9 will be the 5oth anniversary of my Bar Mitzvah. :tiphat:

moomaloo likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Time to pull out the old Blue Moves, man. And congrats.
    Now, where's the Shoorah?

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Elton John and Gus Dudgeon had originally planned Blue Moves as a single album. It was MCA that insisted on a double-album when they learned there was enough material. Elton and Dudgeon both protested, but MCA won. I can’t imagine MCA would’ve fought that battle to the end without hearing the album first.

Jrr likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Buy this man a Blue Move.

Jrr and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Fair enough. But while I agree that Friends, Madman, Don't Shoot Me and the self-titled album would not have been the same without Buckmaster, my preference has always been towards the JNH arrangements. My perception of Buckmaster's arrangements is that they were always dark and moody but not particularly deep—almost ostentatious, to my ears anyway. But his work on Made in England (1995) is one of the reasons I love that album so much.

But plenty of other stores did, apparently. Blue Moves didn’t reach number 1 like many of its predecessors but it did go platinum.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think you're wearing the wrong kind of hat in both your avatar and the emoticon you're absolutely addicted to using. ;)