King Crimson 'Earthbound' expanded CD & DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Apologies if this has been posted before
    (I did search and I found no results)

Earthbound expanded

New 2-disc edition

The famous, some would say infamous, King Crimson live album, originally released in 1972 after the break-up of the Islands-era line-up, has been expanded to a CD/DVD edition.

The album will be released on November 3rd and is available for pre-order from Inner Knot (USA)
    http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-crimson---earthbound--40t…
    and
    Burning Shed (UK & Europe)
    https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_earthbound_cd-dvd

Earthbound was one of the earliest (if not the first) “official bootleg” released by a major rock band, consisting of a series of deliberately lo-fi live recordings of King Crimson’s Islands ear line-up on tour in the USA.

When issued, because of its mid-price it was excluded from the main album charts in the UK but topped the mid-price charts rubbing shoulders with Jim Reeves & Mantovani.

Atlantic in the USA didn’t even bother to release it. By then, the band had broken up & the label had already been alerted to the likelihood of a new King Crimson Line-up promised for later in the year.

Like the later live album, USA, Earthbound remained unavailable in the early CD era, with both finally being released in 2002 on CD. Ironically this non-availability only served to enhance interest in the album & DGM’s own live releases made fans aware that there was a larger story to be told of this line-up’s history.

When Robert Fripp was asked to guest on the second Grinderman project, Nick Cave noted: “I wanted to work with Robert Fripp because he has done some of the most uniquely unsettling guitar work I have ever heard along with some of the most delicate and finessed” explained Cave. “I grew up listening to a lot of the King Crimson stuff. The vinyl copy of the phenomenal live album Earthbound, is one of my most treasured possessions.”

A full track listing will be available later.

Earthbound – is the twelfth release in the acclaimed King Crimson 40th anniversary series.
    The album has been expanded ON CD & DVD
    CD features an expanded 12 track version of the original 5 track album.
    DVD features the 12 track expanded album in 24/96 hi-res stereo audio.
    DVD also features the Summit Studios performance in a new stereo mix & in quadraphonic.
    This is the only surviving multi-track performance from the 1972 tour.
    DVD features the album length “Schizoid Men” sequence of edits of 21st Century Schizoid Men taken from the Ladies of The Road live album
    A transfer of the original vinyl album completes the audio selections.
    Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

[​IMG]

bhazen and dennis the menace like this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This album has always gotten a bad rap, in large part due to the sonics. I'm not too wild about the bluesy improv tracks, but the main core tracks ("Schizoid Man","Sailor's Tale","Groon") are excellent. I'll be very curious to see what tracks get added here. Judging from their setlists at that point, it might include the following: "Cirkus","Formentera Lady", "The Letters", "Ladies of the Road", "Get Thy Bearings", maybe "Cadence & Cascade". Hopefully they'll put together a cohesive collection worthy of this band.

I am also excited to be getting the Summit Studios performance in quad here. Great show, including their take on "The Creator Has A Master Plan". It really sounds like they're having fun here, which is a little surprising given some of the mounting tensions within the band.

footlooseman and albertop like this.
  3. The term "polishing a turd" seems appropriate here.

4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

5. moops

moops Senior Member

I've never heard this album, but I don't fancy owning a polished turd ....... what aren't they telling us, why are they releasing it ?

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

does seem a stretch to turn what was essentially an official Bootleg into a hi Fidelity release.

Not that I mind this kind of 'buffing of the midden'

7. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Looking forward to the Summit Studios release in quad....I hope they go for a nice discrete mix. It's such a fantastic and unique show.

Schizoid Man on "Earthbound" is one of the most intense versions I've ever heard. In fact, I think the shoddy sound quality actually enhances the intensity of that track (not necessarily true for all the tracks on the album, unfortunately!). While I agree that this line-up's improvs lapse into tedium at times (I've never been able to get into "Groon"), I otherwise love this era of the band. Nice versions of "Cirkus" and "Formentera" would round out this set nicely.

stevemoss and Tristero like this.
  8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

+5000.

This release will test the limits of my fanliness. My least favorite period, yet it's still Crim, and live Crim is lethal. But that sound quality is so bad, it's famous.

I can't afford the big boxes (I'm supposed to be acquiring NEW music, dammit!), but if it can clean up well enough, I can spring for the 2-disc, I reckon.

footlooseman and Echoes71 like this.
  9. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The 2-Disc edition looks like a fair bit of bang for your buck, that's probably what I'll go for. I love the jazzy side to this incarnation of the band...the peerless playing of Mel Collins and Fripp's exploratory guitar soloing. `Earthbound' will always be a legitimate reissue because for better or worse, it's part of the original canon of KC LP's. The extra tracks, the Summit remix and the `Schizoid Men' extravganza will make the CD/DVD an essential purchase.

pulpo and aphexj like this.
  10. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I'm not sure calling it an `official bootleg' is exactly the right term. It was recorded by Fripp/Sound Engineer.

11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Have you heard the Summit Studios material? The 2-disc will be worth it just for that. It's sort of the anti-Earthbound in terms of live material sound quality.

pantofis, Beeb Fader and tedhead like this.
  12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Did I read that right? Wasn't this album recorded to cassette? Do I have this wrong? Every copy of this LP I have heard makes Kick Out The Jams sound like a Telarc reference recording.

Dan

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It was recorded on cassette from the back of a Volkswagon (sic) van, according to the original liner notes. My addendum is that the recording "engineer" went out to lunch and didn't notice the levels were in the incandescent.

janschfan, MoonPool, albertop and 2 others like this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

In anticipation of the new reissue, I went back to Earthbound last night. I had forgotten what a brazenly lo-fi document this album was, a devastating sonic onslaught, almost proto-punk at times. Once you accept the raw audio quality, it's quite invigorating, though it can also test your patience. I'm going to be very curious to see what they do with this new expanded edition. Would it even be possible for them to clean up the sound? Will they be offering "more of the same" in terms of the raw sonics of the original or will it be more of a departure, something a little cleaner like the Ladies of the Road compilation of performances drawn from that era? Will the new tracks be intermingled with the old or will there be a clear division between the original and the bonus material? I'm really looking forward to this reissue, particularly since we'll have the much more pristine sounding Summit Studios performance to balance things out.

15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The original tracks will be as unlistenable as ever, the Summit tracks will make this a worthwhile purchase. Anyway if one has all the other CD/DVD editions this one will fill the gap as far as catalogue numbers go fitting between KCSP 10 and KCSP 12.

16. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

For me Wilmington (2nd show) 72 is to Earthbound as Asbury Park 74 is to USA. 'Schizoid Man' and 'Groon' are the meat of the LP.

Accordingly, assuming we finally get the full Wilmington 2nd show, that could effectively 'become' Earthbound in the way the complete Asbury Park show complete has 'become' USA. The other tracks are available and could be on the bonus disc. That would be the way I'd go anyway.

17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I disagree. Altough i really like this line-up, i'm not a fan of the original Earthbound album, but i know many people who are, and this new edition includes the Summit Studio show, which is fantastic. I wouldn't call this reissue a "polished turd" by any means.

18. four sticks

Reviewing the setlists from the shows Earthbound was compiled from it would seem Pictures of a City, Formentera Lady and Cirkus will be among the extra tracks.

19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I find that Summit Studios is a bit overrated.

It's nice and all, but no mellotrons! :shake:

Did a truck break down or what?

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They had altitude sickness!

21. The Summit show could be nice, but Earthbound is a sonic embarrassment...a turd in my opinion.

22. four sticks

From the dgmlive press release/Sailors' Tales tracklisting:

Earthbound

1 21st Century Schizoid Man (Wilmington, Feb 11th, 1972) (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield)
    2 Peoria (Peoria, March 10th, 1972) (Fripp, Collins, Burrell, Wallace)
    3 The Sailor’s Tale (Jacksonville, Feb 26th, 1972) (Fripp)
    4 Earthbound (Orlando, Feb 27th, 1972) (Fripp, Collins, Burrell, Wallace)
    5 Groon (Wilmington, Feb 11th, 1972) (Fripp)

Bonus tracks:

6 Pictures Of A City (Milwaukee, March 8th, 1972)
    7 Formentera Lady (Milwaukee, March 8th, 1972)
    8 Cirkus (Orlando, Feb 27th, 1972)

1-5 Mastered by Simon Heyworth & Robert Fripp at Sanctuary Mastering, (2002)
    6-8 Mastered by David Singleton at DGM, (2017)
    Also available in the King Crimson 40th Anniversary Series (2017)

Earthbound

U.S.A. Live 1972

New sequence Stereo 24/96

Earthbound

1 21st Century Schizoid Man Wilmington, February 11th
    2 Peoria Peoria, March 10th
    3 The Sailor's Tale Jacksonville, February 26th
    4 Earthbound Orlando, February 27th
    5 Groon Wilmington, February 11th
    6 Pictures Of A City Milwaukee, March 8th
    7 Formentera Lady Milwaukee, March 8th
    8 Cirkus Orlando, February 27th
    9 Ladies Of The Road Orlando, February 27th
    10 The Letters Denver, March 13th
    11 The Sailor's Tale Jacksonville, February 26th [extended version]
    12 Groon Peoria, March 10th [extended version]

23. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Agreed! First time I heard this version, I jumped out of my chair, certain that somehow Fripp had found a furious Dalek willing to sing for the band.

giantleech and bhazen like this.
  24. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Obviously the complete Wilmington late show isn't available for whatever reason, so I'm struggling to see the point of a new Earthbound given that the 30th issue is fine. Why would I want the incomplete Sailor's Tale knowing that Formentera Lady is coming up later on the CD?

If USA was remade into essentially a new album for the 40th, I would have assumed something similar might have been the best way to go here.

25. four sticks

It looks like the cd is 8 tracks as above but I missed copying some of the DVD content:

DVD

Earthbound Extended

New sequence Stereo 24/48

1 21st Century Schizoid Man Wilmington, February 11th
    2 Peoria Peoria, March 10th
    3 The Sailor's Tale Jacksonville, February 26th
    4 Earthbound Orlando, February 27th
    5 Groon Wilmington, February 11th
    6 Pictures Of A City Milwaukee, March 8th
    7 Formentera Lady Milwaukee, March 8th
    8 Cirkus Orlando, February 27th
    9 Ladies Of The Road Orlando, February 27th