America's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

anyone watching america's got talent (the show with no americans as judges)?

i am a little bit disappointed this year, as they are really over-playing the "sad" stories and doing so they are manipulating the voting, i believe purposely........especially in the case of the little girl "evie" whose dad is sick....sure i feel bad for her too, but she can't sing for s**t and she is getting into the finals.

2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I am. Not only about the judges, but an awful lot of the acts auditioning weren't from here either.

They basically may as well just make it into another singing show. The majority of finalists are singers in one way or another--including the ventriloquist who always sings a big part of her act.

I thought the magician was a lot better at what he does than the comedian was (not that) funny.

Glad the roller skaters are gone. That got old doing the same thing every week with only slight variations. It was entertaining the first time, but diminishing returns each successive appearance.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Who are the judges?

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Howie Mandel, Mel B, Heidi Klum, Simon Cowell

5. rjp

a canadian, 2 englishmen/women and a german.......

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

Why are there no americans on the panel?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Hell, no!

8. rjp

that is a great question, howard stern was there the last couple of years, but something made him leave...no idea what it was.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Hopefully because his musical taste is in his shoes.

10. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you. :)

11. rjp

an aside:

i get the whole ratings thing, it is all about selling ads.

hence, the long drawn out repetitive back stories that get re-hashed everytime an act comes on, and they have to stretch this out to a 2 hour show too.

they could easily do an hour each week, and a half hour the next night to announce the winners once it gets to that point, but they are making big ratings and big money on the ads, so nothing is going to change, at least not until the ratings drop and they ave to adjust the format or go the way of american kareoke (idol) and go off the air.

12. rjp

which is OK to say, but this show is NOT supposed to be only about music.

MikaelaArsenault and pdenny like this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ah. Did not know that. I have not seen the show but I listened to Stern for 25 years so I am familiar with his musical tastes :laugh:

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I never watch America's Got Talent, American Idol, The Voice, or any of those types of shows. There's something manipulative and 'common denominator' about them to me.

However, I do like Kelly Clarkson.

15. lukatherfan

lukatherfan Forum Resident

I agree that the skaters needed to go and the comedian is not very funny to me. My favorite is the singing ventriloquist. Hope she wins the $$$

16. rjp

so do they, so do they.

17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I don't watch it. Never cared for Howie Mandel. Over rated comedian imho. Mel B, can't stand that manly laugh. Heidi ?? Didn't know walking around modeling clothes was a requirement to be a talent judge. I thought Howard was a good judge. Simon Cowell and Howard Stern would have been awesome together.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Maybe because when it comes to judging, America's got no talent?

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

America may have talent but the host doesn't. Up until this year, Nick Cannon was the host. He really fit the role well and was funny. They replaced him with Tyra Banks. She is just plain awful. Hardly an original or creative thought underneath those beautiful locks. I know what you area thinking and the answer is still no . . .

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Nick Cannon really made the show IMO..

MikaelaArsenault and townsend like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

she is why I stopped watching. I was on the fence after last season when I thought the winner wasn't that good. then they announced nick was gone and tyra was in and that was it for me

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I find it entertaining but I agree the sob story stuff is way overplayed for every single contestant. By the way, Evie's dad succumbed to the cancer yesterday. I hope that doesn't guarantee a win, as little Angelica Hale absolutely deserves the prize. Yes, she is cute as a button but more than anything that little girl can sing. She literally gives me chills.

And yes Tyra Banks sucks and is annoying as hell.

townsend and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. Nick is a natural comedian, and he was great at relating to the contestants in an honest and supportive way, but also finding humor. He is far more funny than Howie Mandel. Howie is mediocre at best as a judge. His praise is so over the top most of the time. Time and time again, he sees an act and says "young lady // young man // Mr." etc this day is going to change your life forever, your talent has now been shown to the entire world." Like the genie is out of the bottle.

And guess what? They are summarily eliminated in the competition, or we never hear from them again. Howie, please tone down the hyperbole.

And I can't stand the BS acts that they let through. This season it was a loser imitating DT (fill in the initials). That guy had no talent. None, zero, nada.

BTW, this sentimental formula is all over network TV. I do like to watch American Ninja Warrior, and it is quite common for there to be some "hard luck" back story to many contestants. "I'm doing this for diabetics." "I'm runnin' the course for my dad, who has colon cancer." "I'm running the course to celebrate breast cancer." "I'm running the course for all the dead cockroaches in the high rise at west 47th Street and and 6th Avenue in NY." Ad nauseum.

Look, it's just a damn obstacle course, why can't somebody be just a nobody and run it?

24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you because there were a bunch of crap acts - twerking fat guy comes to mind - I just can't figure out who you're talking about.

25. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I find this is the case with most game shows now too. Every contestant now has to be completely over the top. They are not just regular, normal people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.