Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd say as they age, most actors wind up making some b-movies. Who wants to retire?

2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

He does seem to be a really quirky guy. I recall reading that he first proposed to Patricia Arquette on the day they met and was married to Lisa Marie Presley while being an admitted Elvis superfan. He gets bagged on a lot now for signing onto countless easy paycheck films that turn out being quite bad. But he had some pretty good/fun roles throughout his career, especially in the 80s-90s.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  3. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I'm not necessarily a Nicolas Cage fan boy, but I would argue that for as many movies as he has made, Cage's signal-to-noise ratio is actually better than many other "stars" of our time.

In just the last ten years he has made eight movies that I found highly entertaining. AFI top 500? Of course, not. -But very fun escapism nonetheless.

Next (2007)
    Knowing (2009)
    Trespass (2011)
    Seeking Justice (2011)
    Stolen (2012)
    Rage (2014)
    Pay the Ghost (2015)
    Dog Eat Dog (2016)

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

He's a laughably bad actor. One of the worst I've ever seen.

He stinks in everything and his acting choices are out of left field and utterly bizarre.

MikaelaArsenault and stepeanut like this.
  5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Visiting the children's hospital is an admirable gesture, and I'm not going to knock him for it, but I have a sincere question on the back of that: what has Nicolas Cage been in that kids would recognise him from? I know he's done a few voice things for Disney/DreamWorks, but those don't count, unless he's turning up at the hospital in a giant mouse outfit, or something. I would imagine most kids would be nonplussed by his appearance.

6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

He's a voice actor in "The Croods" film - that was a pretty big hit for kids. And there's a few Croods specials on Netflix too he's not in them but it is the same character.

The National Treasure films probably hit the kid market too.

Maybe even (if inappropriately) the Kick-Ass films.

7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Haven't laughed so hard at a post here in awhile. Thanks!

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good scripts don't turn up I guess.
    Plus he has high maintenance, new maintenance. Hence more the same..straight to DVD.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't say much for his later movies but early on he did some great work. He received nominations, and won one, award from the big three early on; Oscars, BAFTA, Golden Globes.

Not sure why he decided to stop trying but maybe he got tired of working hard. Judging by the salary list on IMDB he's doing alright. :)

Balthazar likes this.
  10. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Which film was it where he ends up with his head in the deep fryer? That was awesome, and I never use the word awesome.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoy his movies and I'm a fan...If Nic Cage is in it? I'll watch it.

Al Kuenster and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Really?
    Wild at Heart
    Adaptation
    Red Rock West
    Raising Arizona
    Vampire's Kiss
    You are really clueless....these are all stone cold classics! I'll admit he hasn't done much lately, but it really is a miracle when a film turns out good, anything could ruin it, the score, cinematography, story, direction, acting.........so being a part of so many fantastic films as he has been proves you don't know much

Pete Puma, Al Kuenster and enro99 like this.
  13. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I'm still banging my head against the wall on that one!

zebop likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Tastes are subjective. Manners aren't. Your parents failed you miserably if you think it's fair to insult strangers online because they dislike an actor. My 13-year old nephew learned that lesson but it looks like you have some major catching up to do.

If that's not an example of being utterly clueless,... And considering the source, I'd add the word classless as well.

showtaper, kouzie and GullGutt like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

might've been posted but I remember reading back in the day he said he wants to alternate one "for the paycheck" film with "for the art film" I guess at some point he made one too many paycheck films and the artistic films dried up. but yeah it happened Michael Caine , can happen to anyone

16. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

but it is ok for YOU to insult one of the best actors ever...your parents must be so proud

17. Strat-Mangler

Wow. No words for this. Either you're trolling or if you're 100% serious, you've got some serious issues. Either way, welcome to my ignore list.

kouzie likes this.
  18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He just doesn't hold his face right.

19. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

He probably does a lot of crap movies for the same reason every other actor does them. $$$$$$$.

[​IMG]

Dude also did Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas, Moonstruck, Raising Arizona, Face Off, and Adaptation. He can do whatever the hell he wants. He's got 91 actor credits on IMDB right now. If 10-20% of his films are good, his career is pretty much in line with everyone else's.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up getting an Academy Award for Best Actor before he kicks the bucket.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had a look at his Imdb page and he did 7 movies in 2017 alone. He works a lot. To me he sounds like a guy who's basically got other interests and doesn't feel the need to try very hard chasing challenging films or thinking about his career. He can just make regular movies and use the money to do what he would rather be doing (not sure what that is).

At one point, he probably viewed his career differently and then decided he'd rather just treat it as a job. Get in, make your employers happy, get a paycheque and spend your money on other things that make you happy.

In any other industry we'd probably be congratulating the person for being able to hit a point in their life where they can really enjoy what they want to enjoy. But in the arts, we expect someone to be amazing forever. How many of use would love to be in a position where you can do a few jobs a year and the spend the rest of the time enjoying activities they value more than their job?

EwaWoowa and Balthazar like this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That would be a huge surprise, in my opinion.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. He needs the money and likes to work. You get what you are offered as far as roles and you take the best that you are given. He's not "A list" now.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

He already did....for "Leaving Las Vegas".

Balthazar likes this.
  24. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I forgot about that. I thought he just got a nomination, but you're right. He did win one already.

Whenever people talk about an actor being washed up, I think of Mickie Rourke and The Wrestler.

For a talented actor, the right movie can turn around the worst career drift.

Ghostworld and soundboy like this.
  25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Add Nic Cage's co-star from"Face/Off", John Travolta.