Guardian article: Why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by =)_Steve_K_(=, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Haha, nice joke. Or you actually are shockingly ignorant and clueless, either case I won't waste more time.

2. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Nope used my ears is all. If you like guitar wankery and pretentious playing, by all means do so. Many people like that sort of playing. I know I'm in the minority on that one. But accept that's what it is.

Spazaru likes this.
  3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Market saturation.

Like Nascar.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Some people start threads about Paul Stanley's perm :laugh:. I think that says it all.

showtaper, bootbox, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fernando

Paul Stanley's perm has zero to do with Hendrix's guitar wankery though. Guitar wankery is guitar wankery.

6. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Perm?, I thought it was a wig!!

bob60 likes this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Give me a break. There's nothing remotely pretentious about Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing and if you're going to start slating rock bands for "wankery", you might as well stop listening to it altogether.

Sean, bootbox, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Kiss is kids music.

9. Gosh, no
    Hendrix is about modern sound that he happen to convey through his songs and guitar playing. His shaping of harmonics, tones and overtones through his control of the immense feedback/distortion/saturation he played through created the 'bigness' of modern sound we nowadays take for granted, the Beatles arrived in a biplane, Hendrix arrived in a jet.

Wayne Hubbard, Sean, bootbox and 6 others like this.
  10. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

i think it was a valid question. I cannot recall reading it in they way it was described. Someone has kindly pointed me to a book which I will now get from the library.

Stay on topic. Well the thread topic is about the falling value of Elvis memorabilia and the final paragraph asks whether it is likely to happen to The Beatles. Is there a connection between Elvis A Civil Rights Pioneer and Elvis Memorabilia. Has everyone else stayed on topic. You could have simply suggested the Google search as being the helpful person instead of coming out with those comments. And yes, I found the link an interesting read so thanks for that.

11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been posted on the thread. Here goes-

Catalog - The Auction at Graceland•Elvis Week•August 12, 2017

It seems like his records and personal belongings are pretty much at or above auction estimates.

EDIT-after looking at some of the prices these items fetched, it seems like this entire thread and the OP's original article is a farce.

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am sorry, but you being amused by what some professor said 20 years ago in a few short sentences vs people that no doubt have dedicated their lives listening to Elvis as fans...well to each their own.

I333I stated that it was rudimentary google search and the fact that you need that as opposed to just studying the history of the man and learning through observation, again dubfounded.

What is your parameters for having a discussion with someone? Does people have to "qualify" in your eyes before they can have an opinion?

13. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Are you for real? What are you on? I read the article and found it interesting and thanked the person for the link. Where does my comment state I was amused. Please do not lecture me on listening to Elvis. I have done so for the last 55 years. And yes, anyone can have an opinion, but those opinions do not necessarily translate into facts. It is hard to dispute facts - maybe easier when it relates to opinions.

bootbox likes this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Is the professor words not also an opinion? You have criticized many for having their own words be something different that what you have read or heard about anywhere else. As if reading somewhere else makes one persons words less or more true.

You claim I am on something when I point out your contradiction. I think you need to look inward.

15. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Please quantify your interpretation of "many". As far as I can recall, I have only got into conversations with three or four people. I have not criticised anyone's opinions but have simply questioned their thoughts and asked, where appropriate, for any source on what they base those thoughts. I said I found the article interesting. I am not in a position to question the thoughts or enter into a debate with the professor. I asked if you were on something following your comment about me being "amused by what some professor said...." when I cannot see that I said I was amused by the writings in any way.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Don't insult kids. They've done nothing to deserve that!

royzak2000 and DTK like this.
  17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Do you have any further comments regarding Elvis memorabilia?

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Sorry :hide:;)

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

"Many" in this case is you doing it more than once which is too many in my book. It is obnoxious. Back to topic if that is possible.

20. Mr. Fernando

As is all Rock and Pop music. Your point?

21. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Probably, but I might leave it for another day. Is there anything in particular you would like to read about. I can only really cover records and magazines. I'm not into ducks or potatoe heads. I have already commented briefly about my thoughts on the article in general.

22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Good. Bye, then.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's a novel prespective. I certainly don't agree.

24. Mr. Fernando

It's exactly what Rock and Pop's audience is. That's a fact.

25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

If you think Hendrix was pretentious, I'm almost afraid to ask what you think of someone like Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.