Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm sure they'll both have a suitably enigmatic answer prepared for that one.

Jerry Horne and Bowie Fett like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Maybe they'll hire a contortionist who will stand behind them to "answer" the questions with cryptic body movements?

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Fantastic work! You and everyone involved should be proud of your individual and collective accomplishments. Take a bow!

(And please let us know if you're ever hired to work with Lynch again!)

DigMyGroove and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Even though I'm a vinyl guy primarily, I couldn't wait and bought these on CD yesterday. Given that I'm still reeling from the finale and wondering, "Did that all really happen or was it a dream?," I had to have some tangible, physical proof of this show in my hands!

DigMyGroove likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I a bit like that, when we sent to see him he had queue managers who told my friend not to ask for anything when they got their book signed. She ignored him and asked David Lynch to draw a star.

7. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I love super-intricate, super-involved theories like this! Has any artist ever admitted to actually planning such a thing? Or should we assume that they're all concocted in the minds of fans?

The body's not even a week old and look how thoroughly it's been disected already. Some days I miss the pre-Internet days when it took months and years for 'deeper meanings' and hidden subtexts of films to surface and spread and gain any kind of consensus. I can tell you, 2001: A Space Odyssey had a pretty healthy grace period before I started hearing explanations of what I'd actually seen.

So what am I gonna watch on Sunday evening now? Are we all dropping Showtime, or is there anything else on there worth investigating?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Plinko and Wounded Land like this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I watched all 18 hours backwards and heard a bunch of satanic messages. Plus Paul McCartney seems to be dead.

pablo fanques and rontoon like this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

They'll have Lil there in her red dress. She's my mother's sister's girl.

bferr1 likes this.
  10. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If you play Dark of Side of Moon while watching episode 18, you wind up back in freshman year in college.

erowid, Plinko and rburly like this.
  11. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

A multipurpose symbol with many meanings
    [S3E8] A multipurpose symbol with many meanings • r/twinpeaks

http://i.imgur.com/5H2foSt.mp4

[​IMG]

[S3E8] A multipurpose symbol with many meanings

[​IMG]

I think Mother, Jiào Dé (Judy), and the Experiment are all one in the same.

I also don't think enough attention has been paid to this image from "Part 18".

[​IMG]

That looks like a "Bob bubble" around that man's stomach bursting out of his shirt. Maybe Carrie Page killed the guy to keep Bob at bay. Cooper may have changed the past to keep Laura alive but he didn't go back far enough to stop Bob from being created.

Big Pasi, rontoon and bferr1 like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think its just gas buiding up in the stomach of the corpse.

Picked up soundtrack at Target for $10.99. Exclusive coaster! Now Im the coolest kid in town!

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished, a wild ride indeed!

Tom Campbell and Bowie Fett like this.
  14. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Pete Peppers has some great analysis for all of the episodes on YouTube. A true fan.

bferr1 likes this.
  15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Is this track listing correct (see below) or what's really on the unnamed tracks? Eddie Vedder? Julie Cruise? ZZ Top? Ligeti? (Can't remember who else..).

PS - Can't believe Green Onions is on there. Most infamous scene in Twin Peaks history..

16. Daniel Plainview

Yes.

1. Twin Peaks Main Theme (Edit)
    2. Shadow
    3. Missisippi
    4. Lark
    5. I Am
    6. I Love How You Love Me
    7. Snake Eyes
    8. Tarifa (Roadhouse Mix)
    9. She's Gone Away
    10. My Prayer
    11. No Stars
    12. Viva Las Vegas
    13. Just You
    14. Green Onions
    15. Wild West (Roadhouse Mix)
    16. Sharp Dressed Man (Remastered Version)
    17. Axolotl (Roadhouse Mix)
    18. Out Of Sand
    19. I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)(Live Monterey Version)
    20. The World Spins

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Yes, it was splendid work. :)

It just occurs to me that a Silver Mustang is a white horse....doh!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    DigMyGroove and Brian_Svoboda like this.
  18. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Watched this last night. There are maybe 1 or 2 little things that seemed to sort of match or comment on each other, but I just don't believe they were constructed or edited with any intention of being "meant to be watched in sync". Most of the time I was sitting here thinking, "Okay, what is supposed to be interesting about this?" I think a lot of what is posited in that article are just little coincidences. You could probably find this type of thing with any random 2 episodes of TPTR.

Wounded Land likes this.
  19. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I easily would have booted ZZ Top in favor of "Heartbreaking", the Badalamenti piece on piano from part 11 that catches Dougie's attention. Not sure why the most un-twin peaks-like song ever is included. Also could boot "Just You", isnt this on some other TP soundtrack release? It must be.

20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

I only watched it last night and to me it only got interesting when Coop/Carrie pull up to 'The House'. Just a bit of fun but nothing more.

Cokelike- and Bowie Fett like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

"Sharp Dressed Man" is my favorite track! :)

drumzNspace likes this.
  22. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

That "Battling Bud" poster was a great exercise in verisimilitude. A lot of these images in film and TV look fakey to the untrained eye. Contrast the Chronicle headline in "Citizen Kane" ("Candidate Kane Found in Love Nest with 'Singer'") with the tossed-off newspapers in "Superman: The Movie" ("Caped Wonder Stuns City," with a photo that looks ripped out of George Reeves' scrapbook) and "The Godfather Part III" (where you could even read the dummy text in the theater). This not only looked totally authentic. It also moved the show along in a couple of significant ways. It made you wonder about Bushnell Mullins and gave him some depth that plot and dialogue alone couldn't: What kind of fighter was he? What motivated him to put that poster there? What message is he trying to send to the person sitting across from his desk? What does the poster say about how he sees himself? Its vintage quality also gently reinforced the "New Frontier" vibe of the show's Vegas scenes: the Mitchum brothers, Duncan Todd, the city police, the FBI field office. I know the barest little about film, and nothing at all about graphic design. But from the lay viewer's perspective, that was a job well, well done.

Walt, Gardo, pablo fanques and 3 others like this.
  23. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

With the talk about the putative synching of Ep17 and Ep18, it's worth a callback to this post from way upthread. On the one hand, it seems undeniably true that Lynch made action in a later episode coincide with events in an earlier one. On the other hand, in this earlier case he did it quite differently; Lynch provided a "key" or "marker" by recycling the earlier episode's footage and reusing it in the later one, so we weren't left completely clueless as to what he was doing.

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It conveys so much so efficiently.

Gardo, SlimLee and Brian_Svoboda like this.
  25. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

True.

While it's interesting that Naido makes a slashing motion at the same time the "Experiment" destroys the young couple on the couch. What significance are we to now draw from that? Especially knowing who Naido really is. I guess the only reason Lynch recycled that footage there was to show us that Cooper could have potentially been ''rescued''. The whole box thing was really interesting at the beginning of the show, but like so many things in TPTR it kind of went nowhere. We got to see the "Experiment" in action, but then never again. Where did the "Experiment" go after this, what did she/it do afterwards? Who knows?