The Waterboys: OUT OF ALL THIS BLUE - New Album due September 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

Buy those tickets. Even if you don't enjoy the show (and I think even a Grinch of rock would love the show) you'll at least have your spirit cleansed by Brother Paul's boundless energy and enthusiasm. Check out the brilliant live album Karma To Burn for both a good overview of their live prowess and a good overview of the songs you may have missed.

If you want to check out more, I've had several posts earlier in this thread with recommendations and brief descriptions/reviews.

julotto likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

This album completely and utterly shattered my expectations. Holy %$#@. I have no words.

I don't know if I like it more than Modern Blues, but I don't expect to like a new album this much for a long, long time.

Mike is doing a Twitter Q&A today at 2:30 PM EST (two and a half hours from the time of this post).

Those of you that have Cloud Of Sound should recognize the backing instrumental of "Man, What A Woman". A very welcome surprise.

For those of you that didn't like the singles very much, they sound much stronger in context.

Best song has to be "New York I Love You", but I'm a sucker for great story songs and the "Sweet Jane" riff (he makes a nod to Lou in the song as well). But there's no bad songs and even the lesser tunes are memorable and strong.

One listen isn't enough to form a solid opinion, but I feel like I've been hit with a cannon blast. It's up there.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Is the sound quality as good as Modern Blues?

4. InStepWithTheStars

Nope. Quite congested and harsh, unfortunately. Still doesn't change my opinion.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

6. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

7. InStepWithTheStars

I think it's collector bait. I'm still going to grab it if it turns out to be the worst song ever written.

Even a cast-off filler tune from this album should still be worth at least few listens, though.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think the band virtually uploaded the WHOLE album on youtube, song by song

What a cool thing.
    Never seen that before

:righton::righton::righton:

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Is this the CD, vinyl, or both? Just curious if it is worth getting the vinyl of this one....

12. InStepWithTheStars

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Here's dynamic range readings for the CD. No idea on the LP. I preordered the deluxe CD with signed poster but it hasn't arrived yet.

For the record, Cloud Of Sound measured 8 as well but it's by a large margin the worst-sounding CD I own. Curious if "Man What A Woman" has better dynamics than the song it's based on...

Musicisthebest and lucan_g like this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

The more I listen, the better it gets. "Yamaben" is brilliant. "New York I Love You" is brilliant. "Man What A Woman", "Nashville Tennessee", "The Girl In The Window Chair", "Love Walks In"... you know what, you look at the track list. Why am I doing the hard work here?

:goodie:

14. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Dudes! I'm 5 songs in and I am really enjoying this.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

Would you agree that the songs sound better in the context of the album than as singles? Or is that just me?

16. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I definitely agree. Actually, the songs are great on their own but I was just telling my other half that this albums is TO ME..... very satisfying.

She's digging it to.

17. InStepWithTheStars

I have a bad history with double albums (the only ones that I really like are Quadrophenia and London Calling). I tend to have a short attention span, 40-50 minutes is usually my preferred length. But man, I can't break away from this album.

I don't know if I'd call it the best Waterboys album, but it's up there.

Mike Scott is just breaking the rules of music, isn't he? Reuniting the band after going solo and producing quality work... putting out an excellent live album 25 years into his career... putting out a fantastic double album more than 35 years into his career...

PDK likes this.
  18. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Holy s**t!

I love this album.

Balls with skills and substance to back it up.

Wow. Top 3 for me.

BlueTrane and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  19. InStepWithTheStars

This was recorded in advance for Book Of Lightning and eventually ended up on the rare Cloud of Sound CD. Not many people own it (and, to be brutally honest, it's by a large margin the weakest Waterboys album, and the worst-mastered), but those who do must have been thrown off by "Man, What A Woman". I know I was!

PDK likes this.
  20. EddieVortex

EddieVortex Forum Resident

This is an astonishingly good album. I thought with it being a 3-disc set it might be over-bloated but it really isn't. I'm listening on Spotify as my Waterboys website pre-orders haven't arrived yet but I have had this on repeat all day for two days. This album really does reward repeat listens to take it all in.

Stand out track at the moment is 'Love Walks In' but there are so many great tracks. I haven't been hit by an epic track like 'Long Strange Golden Road' off Modern Blues yet but the overall quality of the songs is certainly up there with anything they have done previously. Probably album of the year so far for me. Can't wait for my vinyl set to arrive.

21. InStepWithTheStars

She waited at the door 'til all his saddest words were spoken,
    then she threw them with some seasoning in his face

Come on! It doesn't get any better than that!!! :D

I'm dropping "September 1913" from my homemade Waterboys comp and sticking this one (minus the "Epiphany On Mott Street" coda) in its place.

22. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Seeing a deluxe vinyl on Amazon US - does this come with the full album on cd as well?

23. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

and I had a look at their website (I'm in the US) - what is with all the versions? 2 lp, 3 lp, 2 cd, 3 cd

a bit confusing - what are the differences?

24. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

ok - figured some of it out - any idea where I can buy, stateside, the 2lp/2cd version? Or where it can be ordered from UK?

25. InStepWithTheStars

You can get it through Amazon and the like, but you can order directly from the band and get exclusive bonuses like a signed photo of Mike and a lyric portfolio. The 3LP+3CD, plus both of those, is 40 GBP (sorry, don't have the symbol on this keyboard). You can find it at http://waterboys.tmstor.es and there are other bundles - I got the triple CD plus signed photo and should be receiving it tomorrow. Photos to come!

The double CD and LP are the album as-is, the deluxe versions contain 11 tracks which are alternate mixes and remixes, instrumentals, and a couple of outtakes. They don't hold a candle to the album in my opinion but for only a few extra bucks they're nice to have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.