THORENS RHAPSODY - Completely Original - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Culper721, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culper721

Culper721 Active Member Thread Starter

THORENS TD-124 MK 1 Turntable
    Thorens WB-309 Base
    Ortofon RMG-309 16" Tonearm
    Ortofon SPU G head shell with Sure M75E cartridge

UNTOUCHED FOR AT LEAST 46 YEARS: Mechanically, the turntable was spared from approximately 46 years of wear and tear. My father converted an upstairs bedroom into a storage room and kept it there UNTOUCHED since at least 1971. (I know, because I grew up in the room next to it) The Thorens remained there until I took it for servicing in August of 2017. Other than having the original E-50 (square) motor serviced to ensure the grease was new, as well as having the switch serviced, the turntable has been left as close to the condition it was left in 46 years ago.

Tested and fully operational (at shop where serviced -- I don't have an amplifier capable of phono input on hand)

Also, any advice as to where and how I should list this?

Thanks

P.S. I had four pictures, but I don't know how to use a link interface to post them.

2. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Any Pics ?

3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man that thing would be "priceless to me" wow!
    But I do like money:)

4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Try Postimage. To get pics

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's probably worth north of $2k.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

You can look at Ebay 'sold' listings to see prices for similar models. You can check trade in value at various dealers. SoundStage Direct has an online form that you can fill out and email. I would say multiply trade in values by a factor of two to get a private sale value. But, use Ebay 'sold' prices to temper that figure. Good luck. I am in a similar situation of finding the value of my turntable. I tried my own suggestions....I just do not like the end result. LOL.

7. td19

td19 Forum Resident

I bought one similar (s/n 16543) to this two years ago, mint condition cosmetically and operationally, but w/o the Ortofon arm and headshell (unfortunately!). The deck cost me NZ2300, around US$1800-1900.

8. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

That sounds like an awesome setup!

9. Culper721

Manimal likes this.
  10. Culper721

11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

It will be worth what someone is willing to pay. I sold many identical items on eBay and they always brought in different amounts of $$$ based on the luck of timing.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  12. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

100% true

13. td19

td19 Forum Resident

I would think the arm might be worth more than the turntable?

14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

To my taste, the plinth is a disaster - it's narrower than the length of the arm, precluding the owner from using a dust cover. Best case scenario - it needs to be totally re-finished, and a dust cover improvised to go over the whole assembly, like a sarcophagus. Better yet - replace it with a new beefier one. Overall, the table looks very much its age, which does not add $$$'s to my price estimate. I certainly would not pay "north of $2K" for it in its current condition.

Try your luck at starting the bid ads around $1,500.00, and see if it attracts bidders.

15. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Agree with Benzion. It doesn't exactly look pristine though would be worthy of a restoration and improved plinth.

16. Culper721

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and suggestions. I can't hold on to this for the simple reason that vinyl is for the truly dedicated an attentive listener only. And besides I don't have a vinyl collection worthy of something like this. The only time I've ever appreciated vinyl as much as the truly faithful devotee is when a CD was created using a decayed master tape -- and the old vinyl I had sounded far superior. That happened with a couple of Ten Years After albums if I remember correctly. But again, that was 1989.

17. Emmanuel Zitnik

Emmanuel Zitnik Forum Resident

I'd try the $2000 price on eBay. The whole setup needs a little TLC but that arm is uber expensive on its own, and I guess you had to pay something for the servicing of the motor.

18. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Perhaps offer the arm and table separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.