The Frankenstein thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Jun 21, 2016.

1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

2. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I just saw this commercial:

Walt, guy incognito and mark renard like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I enjoyed this 2015 adaptation by Bernard Rose this evening on DVD which places the story in the very near future (3D printing of a humanoid).
    It's closer to the book than yer usual Frankenstein (the intellect of the narrating monster) and features a few nods to the old Universal movies. I think it should have been a little longer with a more developed ending perhaps. Xavier Samuel is excellent as the monster (who digs the blues!).

Mr Sam and guy incognito like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Jerry, trumpet sounds and ruben lopez like this.
  5. There was something about the first one (with Boris Karloff) - the make-up job, the darker clothes, the lighting perhaps, or the combination thereof - that totally obsessed me as a young kid. Never got that buzz again from any of the later ones... They were never really the same...

Oh and that was not by watching the movies - I was too young for that, around 6 I guess - it was just as a consumer of those 5 cents bubble gum packs that came with those collectable cards... Most were Hammer Films shots - they were horrible! - but I guess there were some Universal Pictures ones too because I just kept staring at the 1931 Frankenstein ones... The most impressive shot to me (I really dug the one above too) was the one where the Monster enters the bride's room, where she is all dressed up for the wedding. Having never seen the film, let alone read the novel, I had no idea there was something actually ominous or threatening about the situations pictured (even the one with the little girl by the lake). I just tought these images were mysterious and (in a way) beautiful and poetic.

It's a good thing then The Beatles came along... I was seriously turning into a monster nut!!

6. Purple Jim

[​IMG]

Just watched "Victor Frankenstein" on DVD. What a lavish mess it is! A shame because it looks great and has a good cast but it's all too hurried and crazy bonkers.
    Still, being a Frankie nut I thoroughly enjoyed it! I nice surprise was seeing Andrew (Moriarty) Scott as the deranged detective in pursuit of Victor and Igor.
    My favourite line came while they were discussing the caracteristics of their creation to be:
    Victor: ...and a flat head.
    Igor: Why?
    Victor: Why? Because I like it that way that's why.
    :D

7. guy incognito

8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Maybe the most copied monster ever...and the most misunderstood.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG] A resurrected corpse that turns against his creator? You could make an archetype out of that!

Old Rusty, Walt and Purple Jim like this.
  10. guy incognito

11. guy incognito

12. guy incognito

13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Victor just wanted a flat head so he could have something to set his drink on. :shtiphat:

Purple Jim likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

[​IMG]

Glenn Strange as the monster.

15. Purple Jim

[​IMG]

Bela Lugosi as the monster (Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman - 1943)

guy incognito and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. BradF

BradF Senior Member

jawaka1000, MagicAlex, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  17. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

Boris Karloff played Dr Niemann in The House of Frankenstien who brought Glen Strange's monster back to life

guy incognito and Purple Jim like this.
  18. Purple Jim

[​IMG]

Robert de Niro in "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein" (1994)

[​IMG]

Dave (Darth Vadar) Prowse - The Horror Of Frankenstein (1970)

guy incognito likes this.
  19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Branach's film is a classic case of ego run wild, and evidently it was re-cut, but it does have a couple of touching scenes by DeNiro as the Creature. When he's spying on the farming family and helps them out, when he's with Richard Briers (as the hermit) the film finds a heart it lacks in so much else.
    One moment I find very moving: when the men in pursuit of the Creature burst into a room and confront him, they ask: "Who are you?" The Creature responds with great sadness: "He never gave me a name..."
    Even with the film being the mess that it is, DeNiro tried his best to make it work in a role really not suited for him.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

How I missed this thread I have no idea. I'll have to check it out in it's entirety later but I'm at work. The Universal Frankenstein movies were an obsession for me when I was kid.

In the meantime if you go to page 3 and 4 of this older thread, i posted many behind the scenes Universal Frankenstein movie pictures.

What's Your Fav Universal Studio Classic horror flick?

21. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

For some reason this film seriously creeped me out as a kid in the Seventies when it was shown on the 4:30 Movie in New York. I never liked it for that reason

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

One of my favorite versions:

[​IMG]

Saint Johnny likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

A great cereal:

[​IMG]

Old Rusty likes this.
  24. guy incognito

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, looking at all these different versions of Frankie slams the point home; this character has ONLY been done right by one man; KARLOFF! I also think this character works best in Black & White, any 'colorized' pics of Karloff (I could swear I've seen a color photo, behind the scenes, of Karloff in full make-up, he was green!) look truly ridiculous!