Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

AA-1006 on A side/(RE) 3 on B side ABC early reissue pressing. This thread made me double check. One of the best sounding LPs in my collection. If i come across an original MoFi or an AB-1006, i'll prolly grab it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

A lot of the AAs use the same stampers as the ABs (usually crossed out in the dead wax)

bru87tr likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, skip the MoFi. It's hyped up, particularly on top. It doesn't sound natural. Sure, it sounds dynamic, but it's tonally quite off. The highs come off as harsh.

aoxomoxoa and katstep like this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have the MoFi, not one I would give high marks to!

katstep likes this.
  5. libertycaps

Hmmmm. Okay then. I guess i'll pass unless the price is right!

6. AnalogJ

Uh .. What price is worth a mediocre listen?

7. libertycaps

I own a dbx 3BX III. I can find the sweet spot with just about any recording with it.

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wonder what caused the distortion on the Back to Black? Inadequate groove space?

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I have the AA, the Mo-Fi and the Cisco vinyl.

I prefer the sound of the Mo-Fi and AA over the Cisco although the Cisco is not a bad sounding reissue.
    The Cisco is my least preferred version because the midrange is not as good as the AA and the Mo-Fi.
    In fact, I was underwhelmed by the sound of the Cisco because that's not what I remember hearing when I used to hear Aja from FM station. Between the Mo-Fi vinyl and the AA, they are close except that the Mo-Fi has the advantage in the bass frequencies.
    I still have to hear the AB though.
    I used my favorite track "Deacon Blues" in the comparison.

goat65cars likes this.
  10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Funny you mention this. Describes my copy. So they did a scratch off to update the stampers and slapped updated labels and packaging to go from AB to AA. Maybe? Interesting stuff.

11. aoxomoxoa

I think so

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I finally got a Cisco.

The AB is better, but it's close. The Cisco sounds very nice.

richbdd01, jgrillo and rushed again like this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

The MFSL uses inferior tapes

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just did a small comparison between AB & Cisco. AB sounds glassy but has plenty of punch. Cisco has a duller dryer sound but still sounds great. AB for me.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

People's perception that the Cisco is duller....

Could that be due to the fact there is no compression used at all? I found I had to crank the Cisco...

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

The Cisco is great. Definitely easy to crank.

17. aoxomoxoa

The Cisco is good but not as good as the AB

18. That's been my take. I brought this up in our host's compression thread, citing the differences between the only 2 versions in the running for best listen, in my opinion. I pretty much have them all. 9 copies. The original uses a lot of compression which gives it a lot of...excitement, whereas the Cisco does not, which when listened to via a nicely assembled system, allows the listener to draw out more detail. I may even be quoting our host on the last statement. I love the first AB and I love the Cisco. Each have their merits.

jgrillo and richbdd01 like this.
  19. AnalogJ

I have an AA as well. You're not close to hearing what Aja sounds like at its best. It would be like saying "I have had burgers from McDonald's, Burger King, and Jack In The Box". The Burger King is the best." The AB I have smacks them all, all over the place.

bru87tr and AudiophilePhil like this.
  20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

This.

I have the AB and the Cisco LPs. The slight compression used to tame the dynamics of the original pressing gives it an exciting, punchy sound, but it's soundstage isn't as open. On the other hand, the Cisco is leaner and meaner in the bass and requires an extra push of the volume knob, but it's soundstage has more air.

For side one, I think the AB pressing is best because Black Cow, Aja and Deacon Blues benefit from the 2:1 compression that was used. Those tracks needed the help the compressor provided.

As for side two, the Cisco is best because Peg, Home At Last, I Got The News and Josie have better mixes and sound fine in full dynamic mode.

Still, you can't go wrong with either pressing. I have both, and I bounce back and forth when spinning Aja. Last time I spun the Cisco. Before that...the AB original.

21. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Are the AB's worth anything? That's the one I have and haven't listened to it....not a fan.

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Maybe to someone here. If you'd want to sell it you'd probably do better in the classifieds on the forum than out in the world.

aoxomoxoa and bru87tr like this.
  23. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Ya, I didn't know there was a difference. Thx!

24. AnalogJ

The Cisco has certain aspects to it that sounds quite different than the AB1006. It does seem to have greater macro-dynamics. And the soundstage might be deeper than the AB1006. But it sounds a bit claustrophobic, as well as dull on top (It sounds rolled off). The AB1006 sounds wide open in the midband, as though you opened the roof on your convertible car and suddenly you're surrounded by fresh air. The Cisco was also reputedly done from a copy of the master, not from the master itself.

When listening to the Cisco, I feel more impact in the bottom end, and instruments may sound a bit fuller, but put on the AB1006 and the top comes right off the soundstage, images are huge, and the sound seems closer to the immediacy of a master tape sort of sound.

25. aoxomoxoa

I've seen them go for excessive amount on the forum. But only on the forum and usually from a well established seller