Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I enjoyed the music but there is a German (I think) spoken-word preface to each part of Totentanz which didn't do anything for me. :)

ubertrout likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this LP as well! :righton:

vanhooserd likes this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following Munchinger's box but unfortunately, Easter Oratorio is not included ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  5. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Schubert - Symphonies Nos. 2 & 6" performed by the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields led by Neville Marriner on Philips.

[​IMG]

dmleman and Eigenvector like this.
  6. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the RCA Living Stereo Collector's Edition:
    [​IMG]
    My favorite Shostakovich Symphony, very good recording

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Not that I had anything to do with it... ;)

When the Great Performances ("Newspaper Cover") albums first appeared in the early '80s, I was somewhat taken aback by the simplistic design, too. The concept was to reissue 100 (numbered) LPs of Columbia's past glory--supposedly picked by a panel of experts--remastered and repackaged as a budget line of collectable albums. I don't mean to sound like I'm defending the series; just explaining it. As I recall, the emphasis was on budget and I don't remember reading any reviews at the time that extolled any sonic advantage of the "remastering." A record shop owner back in the day told me that CBS decided to print the covers in black & white (thus, the resemblance to a newspaper), eschewing the slick color photography that adorned the originals, to lower the list price and save costs. It also kept anyone from confusing the re-issued LPs from the originals.

I don't know if CBS ever went beyond the original "100"... I didn't keep up with them as I had already collected most of what was being reissued. But I picked up a few. Here's an inner sleeve from one, advertising the series...

[​IMG]

crispi, TimH, Tony A. and 4 others like this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Benefit of working in a theater while it's being renovated: Free CDs! I actually took home quite a few LPs over summer, but never got around to listening to them.

Brahms: The Complete Quintets, Berlin Philharmonic Octet, Werner Haas
    [​IMG]

royzak2000, ubertrout, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to a CD that I bought recently for 50 cents: Handel Suites for Keyboard by Keith Jarrett. Yes--that Keith Jarrett--the one who plays jazz.
    I didn't know what to expect, but he's doing a very fine job. My only nitpick is his heavy use of the piano's sustain pedal. ;)
    Sonics are first rate! ECM records, 1995.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

On many - if not all - of his jazz recordings Jarrett is infamous for his grunting/singing along with his playing. Any of that here?

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Joseph Szigeti playing Prokofiev Violin Concerto No.1. This came in from my latest big classical order, nice performance and one I'll gladly add to the Prokofiev rotation.

[​IMG]

bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This 2 disc set marks Kissin's return to DG after a long absence. All performances were recorded in concert at 6 different venues, so the sound varies quite a bit--from superb to not so great. The "Moonlight" has the worst sound, but it is still listenable. Kissin's playing is remarkable for its accuracy and power. Some might think he's a bit too aggressive at times, but I want people to play the piano like they mean it, and he certainly does!

[​IMG]

Wes H, dmleman, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:wave:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DeepFloyd11

On the TT.....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

That's odd, since it fits on a single LP.

16. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Mendelssohn/Tchaikovsky - Violin Concertos" performed by Isaac Stern with the Philadelphia Orchestra led by Eugene Ormandy on CBS Great Performances.

(This internet pic shows the CD but the album cover is identical except for the upper right-hand corner.)
    [​IMG]

These LP releases are when I began collecting and listening to classical music in earnest. I had no CM knowledge and figured these records could provide a guide to someone just starting out. Never collected all of them though. Sound quality is perfectly acceptable to pretty good. :)

17. bluemooze

:righton:

18. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Chopin - Preludes Op. 28" performed by Alexander Brailowsky on RCA Legendary Performers.

[​IMG]

RCA matched the CBS Great Performances series with its Legendary Performers releases. There might have been 100 of these also; the back cover shows #70. While CBS released the albums on CD, I don't think RCA did likewise. :)

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The evil twin of the Prokofiev/Bizet before the face lift. :evil:

[​IMG]

crispi, royzak2000, mdekoning and 4 others like this.
  20. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Smetana - 4 Symphonic Poems" performed by the Symphonie-Orchester Des Bayerischen Rundfunks led by Rafael Kubelik on DG.
    • Richard III
    • Wallensteins Lager
    • Hakon Jarl
    • Prager Karneval
    [​IMG]

21. dmleman

dmleman Forum Resident

All cleaned up, LAST'ed and on the TT.

[​IMG]

22. DeepFloyd11

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded in Kingsway Hall, 2/23-24/70. Producers: Tony D'Amato & Gavin Barrett. Engineer: Arthur Lilley. Issued 10/70. Despite the side length, the sound is pretty good.

24. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Yeah The Planets is always difficult to split up on LP with Jupiter coming right in the middle. Herrmann's versions look particularly long, too.

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

A little. But as I'm sure you're aware, that has never bothered me. ;)

bluemooze likes this.