Who knows about turntable setups!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Villorejo81, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Villorejo81

Villorejo81 Active Member Thread Starter

All,

I'm new to the forum and to the wonderful world of Vinyl, but just could not help myself to buy a pro-ject classic turntable! Personally thought that the specs, comments and looks were excellent (and I got a good price as it was a demo model ).

I want to have a separate dedicated system for my vinyl, but don't want to break the bank!

My first thought for the setup is to buy Audioengine HD6 premium speakers ($75o) and pair it with Parks Audio Budgie valve pre-amp ($399). Really like the sound of tubes.

I'm not sure if the active speakers will give me the sound quality I'm looking for, but the alternative would be to get a straight forward integr. amp (i.e. Marantz PM6006) and buy a set of Dynaudio Emit 20 speakers.

I listen mainly to 60' soul music and therefore need some deep sounds from my system.

Any thought regarding my setup? Am I doing something wrong?
    thanks,

Alex

2. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I can comment on the Budgie as I own one and love it.

A lot of people compliment the stock EH tubes, and they are good sounding, but until I started rolling some amperex, mullard, and siemans in, i never looked back.

One day I'd like to find a good use step up transformer and give a proper LOMC a go.

Have fun!

John Woo likes this.
  3. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

They are not active speakers. They are powered speakers with a standard stereo amp in one speaker. I have the A5+ and use them for my desktop computer sound. If you have the room and budget think about a pair of floor standing and a good quality integrated amp if you do not need a tuner section for off the air radio.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Get an integrated amp + passive speakers for the same money. Don't bother with that AudioEngine stuff.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't know what the input impedance on the Audioengines is, or how long a set of cables you plan to run from the phono pre to the speakers, but the Budgie has a very high output impedance -- 6K ohms -- and you really need to use short runs of low capacitance cable, and you need to make sure that the input impedance of the load is at least 60K ohms. With a set up with powered speakers, my guess is that longer runs (you don't want the speakers near the turntable anyway), are going to be more in order so the Budgie and Audioengines may be less than ideal.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Firstly, the title of the thread is misleading as this has nothing to do with setting up a turntable but rather about judging whether the rig you listed would be good for a turntable-based stereo.

Personally, I dislike immensely the active speakers idea. I find them limited by nature in various ways so you can't really grow with them. What you have is all they can do. Passive loudspeakers would give you more possibilities as well as the ability to upgrade certain components while keeping the rest intact.

The Budgie has a good history and the owner responds quickly to inquiries and issues. In order to maximize the Budgie's performance, expect to upgrade from the stock tubes.

I'm assuming you have the Ortofon Silver on your new Pro-Ject turntable? If so, you could drastically upgrade the sound by getting an Ortofon 2M Blue. The effect this will have on your sound won't be subtle.

If I were you, I'd get a solid stereo receiver from CraigsList and a great pair of bookshelf speakers, perhaps from PSB or other good bang-for-the-buck manufacturers... and a 2M Blue.

Oh, and congrats on your new purchase! :)

Dennis0675, McLover and GroovyGuy like this.
  7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had 5+'s as a desktop system for a while. To be honest, I don't think the AE's will give you what you want. Make a budget for what you want to spend on amp and speakers. Either new or used, your solution is out there. I bought a nad 320BEE for $225 on eBay. Works well as a spare. Doing preamp duty now.

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

For $1250 you could do a lot better.

I'd look for an efficient set of floorstanders (if you have the space) or Studios (350-500). You'll get more for your money buying used...

That would leave you $7 -950 to spend on an integrated with an internal phono pre.. Again, tons of great value on the used market.

This would also leave enough left over for a nice set of stands (if you go with bookshelf / studio).

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I agree with Strat-Mangier that the title is confusing. When I read "who knows about turntable setup?" I thought you were inquiring about something along these lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Audioengine speakers, including the flagship HD6, are among the best desktop computer speakers you can buy. The HD6 can do double duty as general use stereo speakers in a small room, but I wouldn't push them beyond that. They're tiny speakers that produce a surprising sensation of mid-bass for their size, but there's not much below 80Hz, and it rolls off quickly after that. At it's rated 50Hz, it's not producing much of anything at all. As others have pointed out too, they're powered speakers, not active. No phono input on an HD6 either.

Your Marantz/Dynaudio combo idea is vastly better. Better balanced, notably more accurate, solid bass down to about 45Hz with the Emit speakers, a much, much better amplifier than anything inside an HD6, an average quality phono input. Elevate such a system by adding a good external phono preamp such as the Graham Slee Gram Amp. That would be a really enjoyable vinyl system.

Puma Cat and Robert C like this.
  11. Villorejo81

First of all thanks to everybody responding to my Post. Sorry that the title is a little bit confusing and I will try to see if I can change it.

As most of you have commented the suggesting is to not use powered speakers but to get an integrated amp + passive speakers.
    Now the issue is...like always the budget $1200! I'm not saying it is not enough but it is easy (really easy!) to outspend.

I don't think I will be buying used equipment as I don't really know what to look for and it must be bookshelf speakers (no floor standing). The integrated amp sole purpose is to power my turntable so don't need lots of other connections/options.

Any thought regarding amps and speakers within that budget. I'm going to listen to some later this this week but any suggestion is highly appreciated. Some of the amps I'm considering are the Rega Brio (2017) and Cyrus One more or less same price. On speakers possibly PSB imagine XSB, KEF (Q350 and LS50), Dynaudio Emit 20, Monitor Audio silver 100, Klipsh RP 160-M.

Even though I like B&W speakers I find them not the best suited for my type of of music preference (soul).

really need some help and I hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks!

12. Villorejo81

Agitater thanks for the Post really appreciate the comments! and I will take your suggestions on board. Do you have any suggestion for an integrated amp just for my turntable setup I was thinking of rega brio or cyrus one, that would eliminate the seperate phono preamp. Do you agree?
    thanks
    Alex

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The new Brio (Brio 2?) is a home run for Rega. IMO, it's a bit better than the already very good Brio-R that it replaces. The built-in phono section is quite respectable - well balanced, clean and clear.

I've personally tried to like Cyrus products, but they don't suit me. I know a couple of very happy Cyrus users though.

The Audiolab 8300A is, IMO, the current King of integrated amps under a thousand pounds. Its internal phono stage is the equivalent of a Graham Slee Gram Amp, which means it's better than the phono sections in the Brio, Cyrus and Marantz. I think it's a superb, very well designed and very well made value. Significantly better than all of the Marantz PM-series integrateds. Highly versatile, superb sound, excellent control, and a very good phono section. I don't think you can go wrong.

Auditions will tell the tale for you.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would go for a decent solid state integrated and passive speakers. For a vinyl based system will need to add a separate phono stage. Do we know the OP's maximum budget? My thoughts would be to look at an NVA AP20 (sold on Ebay) with Phono 1, phono stage. Speakers to taste maybe Q Acoustics (concept 20) from Richer Sounds as they represent particularly fine value. About £1000 total.

Would need extra for cables and stands. NVA LS2 speaker cable and SC interconnect are inexpensive. Look on Ebay for wooden speaker stands (which are much cheaper than the shops sell). Otherwise Q Acoustics floorstanders are a little over £500.

The above will sound better than Rega or Audiolab etc.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Is the OP in the UK or USA? He's pricing in dollars but location says London. Confused.

16. Villorejo81

Again all thanks for the comments. Very helpful!

RobertZombie - I'm London based but thought it would be easier to quote in USD. My budget is around the USD 1.200 c.more or less GBP 1.000.

17. Villorejo81

Thanks Classicrock. First time I hear about NVA (sorry for my ignorance!) Will see if I can find a dealer to try it. I will also try the Q Acoustic concept speakers that look good on price, compared to some of the other speakers I was looking at.

18. Villorejo81

Agitater - thanks again! I will try the Audiolab as the dealer I went through had an offer on them. Have you had experience with Klipsch speakers? Comments are mixed (more negative to be honest compared to others I have listed) but they seem to have a good bass level.

Thanks,
    Alex

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

NVA is sold direct via Ebay but you have a 30 day window to return for refund. Also you can upgrade and have the original cost deducted from the price of the upgraded product.

Items in nene valley audio store on eBay !

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'd look at the Yamaha AS701 and pair it with the best sounding speaker you can afford. The Emit 20 mentioned above is a great speaker. The Yamaha should serve you for life. Go to Super Fi in Camden and listen to a bunch of things in their nice demo room.

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I can't advise anyone about speakers except to suggest to them what I personally like. The Dynaudio Emit series you mentioned earlier in the thread are well respected.

Personally, I'd advise auditioning speakers using a CD or LP you really know well and really like. Look for everything in the music. I suggest not listening primarily for bass, because doing so in an audition sometimes favours one speaker over another inappropriately. Instead, I think it's much more satisfying to audition a number of speakers in your budget range just to enjoy the music. The pair of speakers that's puts a smile on your face during an audition is usually the pair you want. The bass will be there.

If you're looking for bookshelf/standmount size speakers, and you want to audition Klipsch, have a good listen to the Klipsch RP-160M. I think it's the best small speaker that Klipsch has ever made. Bass is solid and clear, midrange is very, very, nice, and highs (all those vocal and instrumental harmonics that give music richness and depth) just keep coming and coming. Nice enough speakers, but to my ears they can feel harsh after half an hour or so.

The Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers are better, to my ears. Better balanced, better and more accurate bass, better midrange, better treble, better everything.

Robert C likes this.
  23. Villorejo81

Thanks will go and listen hopefully later this week and will try also the audiolab amp.

24. Villorejo81

Rickchick and Robert C like this.
  25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I own a pair of AudioEngine HD-3 speakers in my desktop setup. They do sound good for desktop, but not BIG, as you seem to want. I join the chorus of people suggesting a decent integrated amp and a pair of passive speakers. Also strongly suggest a separate phono pre - the built-in ones are rarely too good, especially in entry-level gear.

For the price of the Budgie, you can currently buy a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS phono from MusicDirect - $399, originally $699. It's suitable for MM/MC, and has adjustable loading for MC carts, plus the tube sound you crave. For less than the $750 you planned to spend on the HD-6's, you can get Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 towers, at $699 from MD.

Not sure what you budget for integrated amp is, if modest - look at offerings by Yamaha and NAD, the best bang for the buck, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.