Anti-static record cleaning arm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Spiegel

Craig Spiegel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. I recently picked up one of these anti-static record cleaning arms for my Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable with acrylic platter. Even after cleaning my records with a VPI HW16 record cleaning machine and an Audioquest anti-static record cleaning brush, I still seem to have static on my records (or perhaps it's still some dirt that I haven't removed or residual from my cleaning solution). So I thought I would try one.
    Does anyone out there have any thoughts and experience on using these?
    Thanks

Preston likes this.
  2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

May I ask a question? Are you referring to static on the record when playing it IMMEDIATELY after cleaning on the VPI? Or do you have static all the time? If it is all the time, I think your issue may be something else. I sometimes (and frequently in the winter) have issues with static on records if I play them relatively soon after cleaning on a RCM. If I don't play them until a day after cleaning, there is usually no static. Some records that are played immediately after cleaning sound like they need to be returned, they are so noisy (from static). Wait until the morning to play them and they sound pristine. I almost returned a box set because I played most of it immediately after cleaning. Luckily, I played it again in the morning and it sounded fine.

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

A solution 50/50 isopropyl Alcohol
    And Distilled water sprayed on to record or used in a disco Antistat should rid you of static for good.
    You can even wipe the record with the cotton wool dipped in The solution

4. Craig Spiegel

I'm playing records right after cleaning them.

The FRiNgE and Preston like this.
  5. Craig Spiegel

I use a cleaning solution made up of 75% distilled water and 25g isopropyl alcohol with a few drops of dawn detergent and a wetting agent. After using this solution, I apply distilled water with a clean brush and pull off with the vpi rcm. I then use my antistatic brush before playing.

6. I use a Milty gun; works a treat

Cooly McDuck likes this.
  7. Craig Spiegel

So does anyone out there have any experience using the anti-static record cleaning arm? Does it work?

8. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

I have used a "dust-bug" type of arm that that a wire so as to ground the brush. Rek-O-Kut Dust Bug Anti-Static Dust Remover (Free Shipping!) - Tracer Technologies Inc.
    [​IMG]
    It sort of worked as it was hard to get it adjusted properly in order to travel across the record surface consistently. The static was reduced though. What worked better was to merely ground the platter via one of the bearing mounting screws and attach the other end to a component that had an electrical ground. Totally fixed the problem on both my VPI TTs.

Spsesq, olschl and KT88 like this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Maybe in your house, but not in mine. Mine places appears to be the portal that static uses to come into our world. :)

10. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

My "dust bugs" certainly picked up dust. I think it was because they attracted it. Even the grounded ones introduced more static. I agree that grounding the subchassis of mt Oracle worked better. I also use a humidifier during heating season and if necessary I spray some Pfan-Stat on a Graphite/velvet/graphite record brush and go over the LP. I spray from about 18" from the brush so it just gets misted.

11. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Try putting an anti static dryer sheet on the platter after each record is played. This will reduce static build up. After I stop for the day if listening, I leave a sheet on the platter until the next session.

Preston likes this.
  12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

OK. If the record is noisy, wait a day and play again and see if you get results similar to mine. Sometimes, the drop in noise is almost impossible to believe: it sounds like a different record.

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Do you get any kind of residue on the platter? That sounds like a great and very convenient solution if it doesn't leave a residue. I'll have to try it: thanks!

14. I've been using a VPI HW17 RCM for a few years now and have found that it actually removes static electricity from brand new audiophile records, which have such a high build-up of static electricity they don't want to come out of those 'gawd-awful' lined inner sleeves. Playing the records puts s.e. back in the record, but I found that switching to a cork TT mat(like on the VPI RCM), stops it. The generic anti-static brush I've used for years, like your Audioquest, is pretty much useless.
    I would think that those anti-static arms should be useful, but you have to realize you've got to have somewhere for that static electricity to go. Those arms have to be connected to ground to be most effective.

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

16. Craig Spiegel

Have you tried putting some anti-static dryer sheets under a record while playing it?

17. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

No, but I might try one under the felt matt.

18. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, and did not get rid of the static. Mine was the vintage Watts dust bug with solution. One of the negatives with this, and other dust bugs, after dozens of plays they etch the record surface (and groove wall) to a very slight hazy sheen. If you intend to keep your records looking NM, don't use a dust bug.

My recommendation is to clean on the RCM as you have. Purchase diskkeeper audiophile inner sleeves, not the cheap ones as they are not anti-static as advertised (one of the lots I purchased is good, the other one isn't) The audiophile premium sleeve should take care of the problem.

I do not recommend any formalities before play, no carbon brush ritual, as this invites a static problem. It doesn't matter the brush is anti-static.. any friction or rubbing will induce a static charge... simply handling the record does not induce static. The carbon brush also may cross-contaminate the record you're intending to clean.

Just play the record! The cleaned record in anti-static sleeve is clean, no need to do anything more. After play, return to the sleeve. a few dust flecks during play do no harm, or just blow them off with a can of "dust it" before returning to the sleeve.

There is such a thing as over-caring for a record. The dust bug is one of them. The carbon fiber brush is another one. You'll never need an anti-static mat, or other "snake oil" product, just the usual rubber mat is fine. Doing less is more.

good luck :)
    Steve VK

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.