James Franco's "The Disaster Artist" (based on the making of the infamously bad "The Room"): 12/1/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. AKA

Here's the scene from the actual movie for those who've never seen it:

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Churns out 15 movies a year.
    Really liked him in 11.23.63

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love The Room, but I can't stand James Franco so... I'm out.

He's already tried his hardest to ruin my favorite Faulkner novels. Why couldn't he stay away from the greatest horrible movie ever made?

GodShifter and audiomixer like this.
  5. alexpop

Best when he plays straight /normal roles ala 11 23 63.
    Time Travel a go- go /
    sixties was a blast.

paulbright81 likes this.
  6. AKA

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. I wish he'd take a weekend off once in a while.

8. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

He butchered 11-22-63.

9. AKA

No, he didn't. The creative team behind the show did. I think he made a fine Jake, and it wasn't his fault they left so much from the book out of the miniseries.

Clark V Kauffman, Simon A and alexpop like this.
  10. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

He was a producer and directed one episode. He shares the blame.

11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

There's something about him that's irresistible. Pack with devil, probably. I'll wait for the dvd.

[​IMG]

xilef regnu and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

He was on the Tonight Show. Narcissism personified, but the camera loves him.

ando here likes this.
  13. alexpop

Thought it's his best role yet.

14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Weird. I never read 11-22-63, but I thought the series was great. How did the show butcher the book? I know it happens all the time, so I can believe it, but it seems like you have to adjust your expectations when any book becomes a movie or series. They always have to simplify and omit things.

15. alexpop

Did S King write more sixties era themed novels ?

16. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

No idea. I've never read anything of his. He seems to churn out another book every 20 minutes , so it's certainly possible.

unclefred and Rasputin like this.
  17. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

11-22-63 is an incredible book, though very long. In the book Jake has to travel back to 1958 and live till November '63. The meat of the story is his experiences during that time. They could've made an incredible multi-season series out of it rather than trying to cram a 30 hour story (audio book length) into 8 hours. I'm not a big King fan, but I really, really liked this book and the tv adaptation didn't co e close to doing it justice.

rogertheshrubber and AKA like this.
  18. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I hear you. The only time in my life that I saw a movie where the book even approached the book was Fight Club, and it surpassed it. I just accept that I need to read the book if I really want the full experience because the movies and TV shows never come close.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There were some compromises in storytelling, but don't think Franco's performance was bad at all -- he was a reasonably-good casting choice for that role.

I look forward to the Disaster Artist movie -- I think it's a funny idea.

Dudley Morris and Simon A like this.
  20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I see this film as the YouTube Generation version of Tim Burton's Ed Wood. I think it will be quite entertaining.

pablo fanques and Dudley Morris like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There were some compromises in storytelling, but don't think Franco's performance was bad at all -- he was a reasonably-good casting choice for that role.

I look forward to the Disaster Artist movie -- I think it's a funny idea.

When the movie 11.22.63 first came out, I posted a link to a long interview with the producer/showrunner who defended why she opted to have the lead character go back to spring 1963 instead of 1958, and how she compressed the novel into a 10-hour show. All movies are simplified, compressed versions of novels in that sense. If you literally turned that book into a film, it might take 40 or 50 episodes, and I don't think a mass audience will be entertained by that (particularly the side-trip to Florida and other adventures prior to Texas). And it would've cost north of $100 million, which I don't think Hulu was willing to spend.

I was more put off by the simplified ending and how they cut another 3-4 trips back in time out of the film. Those changes did bother me. And I was also very much bothered by the alteration in the young guy he meets who he winds up putting in a mental institution, only to have him jump out a window -- none of which is in the book. These "invented" sections ring false to me and deviate too far from the novel. I understand why they're in the show, but I didn't like them.

enro99 likes this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

The Room (the original) is a hoot. Rifftrax does a brilliant job lampooning it, I wasn't sold on the idea of a film about it but the trailer looks interesting, I could take or leave james franco tbh he doesn't really do anything for me

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

When the movie 11.22.63 first came out, I posted a link to a long interview with the producer/showrunner who defended why she opted to have the lead character go back to spring 1963 instead of 1958, and how she compressed the novel into a 10-hour show. All movies are simplified, compressed versions of novels in that sense. If you literally turned that book into a film, it might take 40 or 50 episodes, and I don't think a mass audience will be entertained by that (particularly the side-trip to Florida and other adventures prior to Texas). And it would've cost north of $100 million, which I don't think Hulu was willing to spend.

I was more put off by the simplified ending and how they cut another 3-4 trips back in time out of the film. Those changes did bother me. And I was also very much bothered by the alteration in the young guy he meets who he winds up putting in a mental institution, only to have him jump out a window -- none of which is in the book. These "invented" sections ring false to me and deviate too far from the novel. I understand why they're in the show, but I didn't like them.[/QUOTE]

I think a couple more hours could've made all the difference. And I think the addition of the young guy was totally unnecessary as he wasn't in the book and added nothing to the story or the flow. That time could've allowed for further story development.

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

I think a couple more hours could've made all the difference. And I think the addition of the young guy was totally unnecessary as he wasn't in the book and added nothing to the story or the flow. That time could've allowed for further story development.[/QUOTE]
    Definitely two more hours +.
    I never read the book, but the "jumping out" was disturbing.

25. AKA

New trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.