Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan 35th Anniv. Showings 9/10 & 9/13

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Zep Fan, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

RK2249 and GuildX700 like this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've not been to a theater in several years, but this might be the time, looks like it's showing close by me too! Cool.

3. Zep Fan

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Got a prefect seat reserved, dead center, midway back.

Zep Fan likes this.
  5. Zep Fan

Thirty-five years after the release of the Star Trek franchise's cinematic high point, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, fans will get a chance to see the iconic film in theaters once again. Fathom Events is screening a Director's Cut of the 1982 classic in 600 theaters nationwide for two nights, Sunday, Sept. 10, and Wednesday, Sept. 13. One nice bonus is a new, in-depth interview with William Shatner that will run right before the film.

Exclusive: Nicholas Meyer on Wrath of Khan memories, influences, reboots

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm curious to hear how this looks. My recent experience with older films getting new theatrical presentations hasn't been very good.

Eh, I don't like this at all. Just had this issue with the Close Encounters theatrical presentation. The interviews are invariably a spoiler for people seeing the movie for the first time, and they're usually not that interesting to those who already know the films well. When its time for the movie to start, the last thing I want is some interview discussing the movie I'm about to see. This should be AFTER the movie.

Unknown Delight, JohnO and Vidiot like this.
  7. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Going tomorrow

GuildX700 likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Going today. I went to see this when first released with some friends for my birthday party as a kid. The only Star Trek movie I really like. Never saw the Director's Cut. Looking forward to it.

GuildX700 likes this.
  9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

There are rumors that this will be released on UHD BD for Christmas.

bferr1 likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! Great movie. I love Ricardo!

Unknown Delight likes this.
  11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Not showing near me so I KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'T see it in the theater. Might put the blu-ray on tonight.

leeroy jenkins and Vidiot like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Easily the best of the Star Trek films, but even when it was new, this installment looked cheap. Dunno if I would want to see all the makeup, spray tans and toupees in hi-def!

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

There's a LOTTTA wigs and toupees in this movie -- just between Shatner, Koenig, and Montelban alone. But Ricardo's pecs were 100% real.

Solaris, BGLeduc and numer9 like this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Fav. Star Trek movie.

15. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It's not my favourite Star Trek movie but if it's released on UHD BD I'll get it. I really dislike William Shatner as an actor, he sounds and looks so forced and unnatural when acting...
    On the other hand I like Nimoy and and Montalban. As a curious note, Ricardo Montalban is the only Latin American I've hard without any Latin American accent at all, he sounds as a natural Spanish born gentleman who speaks perfect Castillian Spanish, 'though he's not. This is specially difficult for Mexican man like him as Mexican have a very strong and peculiar accent, they sound to us Spanish as a mix of a very posch teenager girl and Alvin and the chipmunks, I'm serious.

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I think I like all 6 star trek movies!!!!

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Just got back from the movie. Only about 15 people in that screen room, I had the best seat in the room. The interview with Shatner pre movie was ok and not too long at all, he had nothing but good things to say which was refreshing.

The movie looked a bit soft and dull at times, although close up shots looked very crisp and clear, the sound was only in stereo, not too loud, just about right, but boy what an improvement in seating since I was there several years back, big, plush, comfy, power recliners! $12.50 ticket, $8.00 refillable bucket of popcorn, was going to get some pizza, but they only sell full pies $13 on up! They now have a nice bar with wine, beer, mixed drinks, but the prices were just too silly to bother with a drink.

Boy if I had brought the wife with me and we each had something to eat and drink, I would've dropped over $60....no wonder we quit going to movies. I'd rather go out to a nice restaurant for similar money.

Probably won't go see another movie out for a LONG time.

Scopitone likes this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

@GuildX700 I thought it looked a little soft overall too, with close ups faring better. It's still fun to watch, a very well made and smartly scripted film. Great to see on the big screen no matter what.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What is great about Shatner is that his forced and unnatural performance demands audience attention, and it works for his character (if you buy into the idea that Captain Kirk enjoys the spotlight). George Takei, who was in a half-dozen films with Shatner and 3 years' worth of Star Trek episodes, says that what Shatner really does is a lot of "acting gimmicks" designed to throw off the other actors and hog the spotlight. So it depends on how you look at it. I think he's a very interesting actor and his role as Kirk is iconic... but I have no doubt he could be a real jerk in real life.

20. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

IMHO, William Shatner was quite effective in TOS Series 1, but started to look too full of himself in series 2.

In "The Deadly Years", where Kirk saves the day after being the first ome to try Dr McCoy's cure for the ageing disease, you can see the knowledge that he's saving the day in how he can hardly keep the smile off his face, especially when he says "Code 2.".

By the time of the movies, he seemed more comfortable in his skin (iconic role and all) and, to me, was more of a captain than in a lot of TOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.