Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 3 from Spotify Premium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That "Great Performances" Bach/Glenn Gould album of Piano Concertos is not an exact reissue. The three featured concertos were originally released on three separate albums.

The Mozart/Serkin/Szell album has been a favorite of mine--especially the Concerto No.20--since I originally bought it in 1972. Here's the original cover, showing the 45 years of frequent use and enjoyment I've gotten from it.

[​IMG]

The vinyl still plays great. Take care of your records and they WILL last a lifetime! :righton:

4. DeepFloyd11

Ohh yeah! My husband has LPs he's had ever since he was a teen and they sound great and look great. He keeps them in plastic outer sleeves and they have no ringwear!!
    I won't be putting those on my LPs though. I HATE plastic and avoid it wherever I can. But I am very careful in how I handle my new -old treasures. :love:

I've found a few really old recordings/ pressings and am thankful for how they were taken care for by the original owners. Most of my LPs are from the 70s and 80s though and of course in the 80s CDs came out so those LPs were probably not played too much.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  5. DeepFloyd11

6. [​IMG]
    On to disc 7 of Mozart 225 The New Complete Edition. Fantasias, rondos, variations and a sonata from Andras Schiff, Francesco Piemontesi, Alfred Brendel, Mitsuko Uchida, Tamar Halperin, Ingrid Haebler and Vladimir Ashkenazy. That's 7 pianists on the same disc.

crispi, hvbias, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  7. dmleman

dmleman Forum Resident

24/96 download playing on my streamer today.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and ds58 like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

When I first started collecting LPs seriously, I was unaware of plastic outer sleeves. Shops were not carrying them and I didn't know anyone using them. Around the mid-'80s or so, I began using them on a few select albums; it was cost-prohibitive (for me) to go back and cover my entire collection at that point.

Most of my LP jackets have survived in near-mint condition, though it's not clear why some seem to wear faster than others. Certainly pulling an album off the shelf frequently will subject it to wear, but some albums sit side-by-side with one showing a bit of ring wear and the other spotless. I suspect it the quality of the printing has something to do with it. Certainly the slicker European jackets (i.e. DG and Philips) have proven more durable as far as artwork is concerned -- though that "slickness" has a downside, as some jackets (particularly DG) tend to separate easily along their top and bottom seams.

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Here's a first: When I opened this new 2 LP set yesterday, side 1 had a huge scratch/gouge on it--at least an inch long! Not sure how that happened, but it rendered a few variations unplayable. I spot checked a few others, and her playing and the sound are wonderful. I requested a replacement.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My VERY first classical music LP! :righton:

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton:

13. bluemooze

:agree:

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now on the TT, a 1974 Columbia Masterworks album of Murray Perahia playing Chopin: Sonata No.2 and Sonata No.3.

It is worth noting that Perahia has written extensive liner notes for the LP jacket wherein he describes the more prominent structural features of each movement, in each sonata, and the reasoning behind his approach in playing them. This included researching Chopin's original manuscripts to sort out what changes publishers had made from what the composer had actually written. A fascinating read which adds appreciably to deeper understanding of these works--and particularly Perahia's performance--while listening to the album. I wish more performers did this.

[​IMG]

15. bluemooze

Now streaming on Spotify, "Into the Labyrinth" performed by Sarband on World Of Sarband.

Never heard this before, and am not sure exactly where it fits on the music spectrum, but it's 'early' music, so... :)

[​IMG]

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I haven't even opened my copy yet

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm not much of a fan of Elgar's music so that would have probably delayed me buying another classical album for years.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Six String, mdekoning, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  19. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Tchaikovsky - The Seasons" performed by Brigitte Engerer on Philips.

Also:
    • Dumka
    • Chant Sans Paroles
    • Humoresque
    • Nocturne
    • Valse Sentimentale

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Continuation of the Fournier I listened to last week (1-4), now playing 5 and 6 by Starker. Even on the non-full range ESL57 there is amazing depth of sound, I plan to replace these with Vivid Giya G2 or G3, the former the most neutral speakers I've heard besides Revel Salons

[​IMG]

21. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Dvorak - Czech Suite/Serenade" performed by The Musica Aeterna Orchestra led by Frederic Waldman on Decca.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, Six String and Wes H like this.
  22. coopmv

It is almost a certainly that @bluemooze has this LP ... :righton:

23. coopmv

This SACD twofer is worth some $$ these days. I have the recordings in the following mercury box ...

[​IMG]

The best performance of these works is actually on the following twofer ...

[​IMG]

BlueTrane, DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Come on, you need that graduation procession music. IIRC, Yale was the first school in the US playing that piece and the recent South Korean presidential inauguration also used the piece ... :biglaugh:

25. coopmv

Kubelik excelled in works by Dvorak and Smetana ... :righton:

bigstar87, bluemooze and Mr_Vinyl like this.