Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It is probably mono. Record labels would create a single slick per album cover, with the stereo banner across the top and mono catalog number at the bottom, and then fold it over appropriately, depending on what was packaged inside. This copy simply was not affixed correctly. Great score though!

Ridin'High and Nathan Aaron like this.
  2. ezbud

ezbud Active Member

Has there been much discussion about Vikki Carr? I really love most of her Liberty LP's, and the "Live At The Greek" double LP on Columbia is great.

Makes you want to call and pledge, doesn't it?

Nathan Aaron and toilet_doctor like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

P.S.
    I was lucky enough to find a new LP TIME Mini LP CD (LPT 1005) 2007 copy in Japan for retail price to fulfill my LP Time collection.
    The number 1005 means that Lynn Taylor was just 5th CD they released from day one in 2007.

Please check out the pictures:
    Lynn Taylor

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Ridin'High and Ethan Stoller like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The LP Time label made a huge mistake when they decided to save a little bit and put their discs (later in the series) out as CDRs. They lost a huge percentage of their customers immediately and the series folded pretty quickly. Didn't they understand that their customers were paying for true CDs because that is what they wanted? I guess not.

Ridin'High and toilet_doctor like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I guess maybe your reply was edited or deleted (the photo images did not show up). Perhaps you were talking about the creators of LP Time label? My understanding was that the LP Time label was commissioned by Japanese collectors from the creators of the Fresh Sounds label and that the LP Time products, though made in Spain, were to be exclusively sold in Japan only. Some American dealers got hold of product and sold them here, got nabbed and had to stop. Otherwise USA customers had to buy direct from Japan. But there may have been some stipulation that they were not to even be shipped to the US (those stipulations have existed in Japan-only agreements). At any rate, whether it was a contractual thing, or a collapse in sales due to the CD-R thing, no one knows. Some major labels got angry and started issuing official Japanese miniLPs just to mess with the LP Time label

6. toilet_doctor

Tribute, you put salt on my wounds.
    Those guys, they're very lucky ones, because they are out of reach. Otherwise, I would kill them all for that. "Digital Vinyl" my ass.
    Out of despair, I kept buying them because Remastering was so good, and stuff was so unique for CDs.

Warning: Everything LP TIME released after 2010 is CD-R!

Here is my favorite 2010 Julie Wilson My Old Flame - real thing.
    While 2012 Meet Julie Wilson - CD-R

Julie Wilson

Ridin'High likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Some LP Time issues were true "first time ever" reissues anywhere (vinyl or CD), while some were items that had earlier been issued on CD by official Japan labels. I generally passed up on the LP Time products that had otherwise been on CD (like the Julie on RCA). But I went for an alternate Japanese label issue of the Meet Julie disc that was supposed to be official. But it was horrendous sound (vinyl transfer of an extremely poor condition LP). I recently found another mint original vinyl of that. That turned me off of investing in many Japan miniLPs for awhile

8. toilet_doctor

Julie Wilson LPTime Mini LP CDs or Billie Holiday No. 4

Review
    I again listened to both Julie Wilson LPTime albums, and I can say: 'My Old Flame' sounds excellent - warm, airy with well-presented bass, deep soundstage and good separation between instruments. I have to cut off one point due to the tiny bit of brightness in the vocals, not so noticeably, thou.
    I put this album at the border of the "Best" and "Very Good" category.
    'Meet Julie' has slightly less bass and the sounstage depth. Both discs have good dynamics, and overall the clarity of the sound is very good too. I placed it at the lower part of the "Very Good" section.

Julie Wilson is my hero, because she was not afraid to be criticize and such ...
    She sang from her heart, expressing her love for the best Jazz singer of all time.

I was very pleased to listen to both albums, in which Julie Wilson wass heavily influenced by Billie, and that's what I appreciate the most.
    'Old Flame' - here she sounded like Billie in the early '50s. While 'Meet Julie' is nothing, but a pure tribute album, where she sang from the Billie's death bed.

Julie Wilson is my hero, because she doesn't afraid to be criticized and such...
    She sang form her heart, expressing love to the best Jazz singer of all time.

Old Flame

You Don't Know What Love Is
    Julie Wilson - You Don't Know What Love Is

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Do you have the rest of the early Julie albums? The LP on the Dolphin label, issued on CD by Fresh Sounds many years ago, and the Live at St. Regis LP on RCA issued on CD in Japan?

Her early material is distinctly different from the material after her return.

I have an 8 X 10 publicity photo of Julie in an exotic pose in the 1950's that she signed.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

Her 1957 album "Love" is also very good, but I didn't buy it. I'm waiting for a 24-bit remastering (for 28 years already).
    (I only can regret that she changed the style latter on.)

I'm Thru with Love

You've Changed

Travelin' Light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think you may wait too long. Gee, I don't see the CD for sale by anyone, but there is a vinyl for $8 on discogs. Some records may never be reissued on CD again.

12. toilet_doctor

P.S.

By the way, I found interesting 'Meet Julie' review at amazon:

Two Pressings of this CD - One very good, the other very bad
    "This is an Excellent recording of Julie Wilson's. It was recorded with the Ellis Larkins Trio which is in great sound here. This recording is very Jazz base. Julie Wilson uses a bit of Billie's Phasing thru out this session. Her voice is at her best. What I really want to say here is not so much about the quality of the Voice and Band (both at Tops here) but about the CD sound.

There are two releases of this recording on CD. There is one by LP TIME SPAIN (sold as Mini Lp Sleeve). This pressing has been Cleaned and remastered using 24 bit / 96KHZ. Sound is very good on this Pressing and should be the one you buy. The other release is on the JazzHus Label. This pressing is also released as a Mini Lp Sleeve. Please note, this pressing is Terrible. Both Cd's have been recorded directly from vinyl ( as I am sure the master tapes are long gone), The difference is that the JazzHus pressing has not been cleaned at all. You will hear lots of Distortion, Pops and skips (Horrible sound all the way thru). Also note that these CDs were made for the Japanese market but neither CDs are made in Japan as listed. The LP Time (the good pressing) is made in Spain to sell to Japan (this is why it has an OBI type slip included). The second one by JazzHus is made in Brooklyn NY for Japan's market (this pressing includes a little white card as it's OBI slip). So they might be listed as Japanese pressing, they are not. If you bought them in Japan they would be listed as Imports, as to Spain or USA. So the final word is Buy the LP Time pressing if you want good sound not the Jazzhus which is Horrendous. JazzHus does make some very good CDs, just not this one." (31 December 2012)

13. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

I did not need to get the LP Time CD's from Japan. I contacted Fresh Sounds through their web site and purchased them directly from Spain.
    Here's a rare one, "Toni Carroll", "This One Is The Toni". Gorgeous diecut gatefold mini LP sleeve, LPT 1204. I believe this is the final
    LP Time release. The quality of the glossy outer sleeve is gorgeous. No expense was spared, but it is a CDR. Search this one out...well worth it. Quote from the outer sleeve blurb, "With her dark haired beauty and a provocative glance, Toni hold in her voice the promise of sultry romance. Once you've heard her song stylings, You'll never forget the experience- "This One Is The Toni ".

14. toilet_doctor

You convinced me to buy it as it is: in "Like New " condition for $18.88.
    (The pictures you can see at the post 1035).

15. toilet_doctor

I do have it too - it's only one with die-cut cover.
    I don't buy everything they released, but only those I like.
    But I like a lot...
    How much they charged for the CD and for the shipping?

16. toilet_doctor

LPTIME albums I left untouched:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. toilet_doctor

18. toilet_doctor

19. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tina Robin The 4 Seasons

[​IMG]

Maybe a couple more, but the point is:

If someone would say that I'm missing something worth to have, I reconsider my decision.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You passed up Ann Richards? (Stan Kenton had good taste!) Sandy Warner is also good (Steve Allen had incredibly good taste). And I would recommend all of Morgana, especially her early albums. Others on the list were also very good. Tina Robin, Fran Jeffries, and others

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Owen Bradley led a dance band here for many years, playing standards & other hits for the country-club crowd, even as he became a studio-owner & very successful country music producer. He was a pianist & there is a sculpture of him seated at his piano on Music Row.

Eric Carlson and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

I paid $25 each plus shipping, but that was a few years ago...I doubt Fresh Sounds has any left.
    I would get seven or eight different titles at a time so combined shipping to the USA was very low compared to Japan.

23. toilet_doctor

Thank you very much for your comment. I really respect your opinion and will work on them more.

So far, only Ann Richards passed the test: Min 5 songs I have to like to spend $25+ on Mini LP.
    Sandy Warner had nice voice, but album is not so serious - only 4 song were good and one of them was really stand out song: "Mambo,Tango...Cha, Cha Blues."

She is very impressive there - cannot argue that Steve Allen had incredibly good taste - especially cover
    is very nice with one leg up. I may buy it just for the cover alone.

I love Morgana a lot, but 12 folk songs... it's more than I can stand. There is one stand out song too Lonesome Home something (at 1:30)

♫Morgana King♫...Folk Songs A La King - new issue CD

Fran Jeffries and Tina Robin are very good. In fact, I bought two Fran's LPTime albums, but this
    one is Sountrack - I don't like soundtracks - they belong to movies, not stand alone CDs (with some rare exceptions).
    Tina's album is a thematic concept album and very often in such albums the artist has to sing weak material for the topic sake.

In general, even the greatest singers or bands have strong and weak albums.

A few more I passed on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone liked this one:

[​IMG]

and I posted wrong cover - this is correct one:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Early Jane Morgan is very good. Maybe you can grab a cheap vinyl copy...others good too.

25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I know these 2 have already been mentioned....Ethel Ennis and Irene Reid. I found LP's of Once Again by Ethel and Room For One More by Irene at a church rummage sale last weekend. I'd never heard them before and both were a pretty good listen but if they'd only had better tunes and arrangements that would have complimented their voices.

Ridin'High likes this.