The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Don't be naive, you know the penalties are much stiffer than for the powder that results when the case is...uh, pulverized I guess...

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. Twist2Piper

Twist2Piper Member

Yes, the middle hub that is on a swivel is made of a different plastic than the ones that hold discs 1 and 3. Essentially, the hub for disc 2 is just a loose, plastic page that moves like the old Dick's Picks. They are however more sturdy and made of higher quality material than the Dick Picks, but the "teeth" that hold disc 2 in place are of a different nature than that of the hubs holding discs 1 and 3. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen this type of holding device for a multi-cd collection. It is obvious that they wanted the mobile hub that holds the second disc to have more "strength" and "solidity" since the second disc will be moving back and forth unlike the first and theirs discs, but it seems that Rhino over compensated and now we are dealing with the issue of literally not being able to remove the second disc for listening without either breaking the "teeth", which then you don't have the ability to safely house the disc, or in many cases, the force require to remove the CDs is so great that the disc simply snaps into pieces, which happened to me twice! As stated, I thought it was just me, but now I know personally several people who have second discs as well....

Again, I really hope that this is resolved because I think the word was finally getting out that we were all going to have another shot at collecting all of the Road Trips Series! An exciting and wonderful time to be a Deadhead collector... And these releases were really the cherry on top of the pie! There are a great number of the DEADicated that did not have the opportunity to get these the first time around.

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

As others have said, we certainly appreciate you providing some background information here @realgoneguy, thanks! Digipaks or slim jewel cases would be great, but I agree that the fatboy jewel cases (without the hub issue) are much preferred over cardboard sleeves. And if you ever had to use cardboard sleeves, including an inner sleeve to help avoid scratches/scuffs would be much appreciated. Now if only you could convince the Dead organization to let you reissue the bonus discs. :)

budwhite, DrLunchbox and ianuaditis like this.
  4. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I had the same problem as you. My disc 2 cracked when I tried to remove it from the Case. I purchased mine from Collectors Choice Music.

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I'm going to show the guy at B&N these posts and I'm going to suggest breaking the hub to save the disc 2 - giving me the unharmed disc 2. I'm wondering if I put it back on the hub again if it will get stuck again?!?!

budwhite and laf848 like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

B&N guy got the disc off the hub without breaking!! I'm picking it up on Saturday:)

7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I remember back in the day sometimes needing to push down hard on the center of the hub to free up the disc rather than lifting the disc from the edges. I still have the same habit (but I generally only need to free up a disc once to rip).

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

This disc 2 better be smoking:)

bzfgt likes this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Been ruminating about the famous second set from Barton Hall 5/8/77. Unlike most of you the first time I heard it was this year a couple of days after 5/8 when I received the GSTL box. A few times through the whole box and listening to the whole second set Sunday (disc 2) and this morning to the rest (disc 3) has me thinking this show is what some say it is - and topped off by a Morning Dew that had me screaming.

And who cares if Jerry doesn't hit it perfectly before the mid Song solo. The last 6 minutes is pure magic. The whole set is magic.

As great as 5/7 & 5/9 are, the famous show might be the most famous for a reason other than the fact the tapes sounded so great. I actually think the tiny missteps like Donna singing ladyfingers early in St. Stephen or the similar gaffe in Dancing make it them more human.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    ianuaditis, dzhason, KeninDC and 3 others like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

At your service, young warewolf. :tiphat: It can be hard to appreciate the feel of the live show, and harder still to put oneself in that state of mind while listening to a show. What I miss the most are the beautiful women dancing to the music, all that free and ecstatic feminine energy is an overlooked dimension of GD shows. And I do not mean anything sexual, but the sensuality and the Yin NRG. :love:

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The girl at the store where I had mine replaced got it off without breaking it too, but she, and your guy, had the extra advantage of knowing ahead of time that a CD could break in half while trying to remove it. And as they used to say on G.I. Joe, "Knowing is half the battle".

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Now can you put it back on the hub & take it off without breaking it?

Unlike other modern types here, I play my CDs:)

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. bzfgt

Yeah but some people were saying they had like 19 of them break...

14. bzfgt

I'm sure there are dancing women at Dead and Friends shows, or whatever they're called...what I miss most is Jerry Garcia.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

can someone post a pic of these hard to remove cd's?

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I am certainly inclined to agree with this at this point. However, I still have yet to find something that tickles my fancy as much as DiP 4.

ianuaditis and Dahabenzapple like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

When I'm in a 1970 mood, I'm all into Dick's 4. Great sounding recording as well. Bear 2-tracks from 1969-70 and fall 72 rule.

dzhason and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The girl at the shop swapped the case out for a different one that didn't have the problem. She struggled to get it out too, but, again, she had the upperhand of prior knowledge.

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now this is like a challenge, I want to get RT4.4 just to see if I could get disc 2 out successfully.

Dahabenzapple and bzfgt like this.
  20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

It does say "Dead Freaks Unite" - it was a blurb for the mailing list. You sent your name and address to:

Dead Heads
    P.O. Box 1065
    San Rafael, CA 94901

ETA: Hoo! Found a pic of it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    budwhite, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

"Deadhead" has been around at least since 1980. Great band, BTW. The Teen Idles. Henry Rollins handles equipment. The "driving that train" interlude is more of an homage.

22. bzfgt

"The music's really lousy" doesn't really smack of "homage" though, does it?

KeninDC likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

...and, well...
    ... knowing is only half the battle after all.

24. bzfgt

You scored 4.4 and broke the disc in that time?!

dzhason likes this.
  25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I had to do this with the Garcia Live 9 I got the other day. But that is a digipack.

After all the horror stories I heard here I was still very careful with it.

Crispy Rob likes this.