The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just like the Wu Tang Clan, excessive hub grip ain't nothin' to f with.

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ya bes' protect ya neck don't ya know.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm trying to find this one YouTube clip that was posted on here one time not too long ago and that had an awesome Shakedown St. on it, but I'm having trouble. I may have a total mish-mash of shows, venues, dates, and tunes in my head, but I feel like it was at Winterland and it also had a Fire on the Mountain about 30-40 minutes in to the clip that was preceded by a drums segment that ended with maybe an Ollin Arageed type jam prior to the Fire. Does this actually exist or sound familiar to anyone? :help:

It's not this clip that did not take place at Winterland but that also has an awesome Shakedown and Fire.

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Nevermind, it is this clip, it being at Winterland was just a figment of my imagination. :doh::nyah:

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Aha, see that is the thing I remembered, but I didn't remember that it said both 'Dead Freaks and Dead Heads.'

Meanwhile, I listened again to 1-15-78 Selland Arena, which I'd played just a few weeks ago. This time I went for the FOB audience recording.

Quite a dynamite show, in spite of Corry342's in-person review that the first set was terrible. Both Dire Wolf and the closer Music Never Stopped get it done.

And set 2 has what might just be the most 1973 Playin' the Band seen since December of that year. Wharf Rat has some fantastic soloing after the 'Fly Away' break.

Billy_Sunday, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Finally some hip hop in this thread.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

On today's menu we have some Unfaithful Dads (or how I stopped hatin' '78 and just like relaxed, maaan):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. BurtThomasWard

is maybe the prettiest, most upbeat "Bertha" ever, BTW. Heart's a-flutter with sheer delight.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Typical Ian MacKaye (whom I find dreary). I'd like to think it made room for Henry Rollins covering "Franklin's Tower," but perhaps I'm trying too hard to connect everything here.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have Rollins's book Get In The Van where in one entry he spends a paragraph writing about seeing the Dead in September 1985 and how great they were.

11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

For the most part, "hating" a specific band has more to do with the image that comes from hating that band.

Except for this one:

(I do really strongly dislike the Eagles. Long before Lebowski.:hide:)

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"They're not just the best at what they do, they're the only ones who do what they do."

~ Bill "Uncle Bobo" Graham

ianuaditis, ailgin and budwhite like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Probably being in a band with Greg Ginn (a major Deadhead) had something to do with it...

KeninDC and BurtThomasWard like this.
  14. BurtThomasWard

Being force-fed acid by Ginn and growing his hair long probably didn't hurt either :laugh:

warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

A 27 min Pitb into a 10 min Wharf rat? I'm very on it!

16. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Hating on the Eagles is easy. I actually like the Eagles. I think they're good musicians. That said, I can't take Don Henley's voice, and most of them are conceited pricks, but they're talented. They may have squandered that talent on some crappy stuff, but I prefer their early albums, and the deep cuts at that.

Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  17. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Long wondered if the Dude dug the Dead.

But yeah, to this day when "Peaceful Easy Feeling" comes on somewhere, I go into that rap.

Still haven't tried lingonberry pancakes.

18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm finally (I know! I know! I was waiting until I could purchase my own copy) reading McNally's Dead book. It's a treat so far. Even though I know so much of this already, he's got a real knack for tying things together. Early goings so far, but I really loved that reproduction of the minutes of a Dead meeting from the mid-80s. Just a fascinating snapshot of the band's flat organizational structure and the kindness deep in their hearts, even amongst some questionable behaviors and bitterness between some members of the crew.

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Maybe this was a turning point for me as I didn't know 1978 could be so amazing until I heard this. I bought it in the Spring and it opened me up to get Dick's 25 (5/10 & 5/11/78), re-listen to 7/8/78 again a few times to finally have my mind changed as I originally could not get past the warbly singing from Jerry.

Now I'm on to the July 78 box and despite narrow set-lists it is absolutely right in my wheelhouse. I'm not sure they ever rocked out like they did in early/mid 1978.

20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That's a cool thing I've always liked is that their crowds seemed pretty balanced. They weren't just sausage-fests.

Mad Dog, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Charlie Miller needs your help!

Lossless Legs .::. Index

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I heard a story that 77 was great and 78 was a down year a while back.

I think that must be how it felt at the time, to people who lived through it, but it doesn't sound like that to me now.

I can see why 77 is celebrated, but I enjoy 78 more.

Wow. Hundreds! Uncirculated!

23. warewolf95

4/15/82 Providence, RI

This is officially one of the greatest shows I've heard and is easily in the top 3 of 1982 that I've heard so far.

Review coming soon. I'm heading out of He's Gone at the moment.

I know you had to get your fix Jerry, but couldn't you wait until this FREAKING AWESOME jamming ended before running off? :(

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  24. warewolf95

4/15/82

@Archtop

Trying to regain my composure after that segue from Truckin into Morning Dew destroyed my universe.

Also, is there a name for that chill little outro theme on this Truckin?

Archtop likes this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There is exactly zero evidence from contemporary sources that Deadheads thought 1978 shows were a let-down compared to 1977 shows. The inane celebration of 1977, particularly the Spring tour, as the greatest of all time occurred long after the fact. DL2 buys into it only to sell CD's.

I was going to add that such fantastical tales are often promulgated by internet writers who only saw the GD with Vince on keys, and who never took vitamin A at a show- but that would be rude of me. :biglaugh:

Billy_Sunday, trd, DrLunchbox and 5 others like this.