Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing this ...... Just listened to Drums and Wires

2. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

This is extremely exciting news. Honestly, I pretty much wanted this album next ... but I would be happy with any Steve Wilson mixes of XTC especially if they maintain the quality of all the previous releases.

Surferghost likes this.
  3. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

I'm wondering if there isn't yet a Steven Wilson plug in where you can just stick it on your favourite non-surround album.
    He surely needs some time off to play his guitar and that.
    :p

Matt S likes this.
  4. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

One of my favorite records of all time. Never get tired of it even after all these years and hundreds of listens. This is good news indeed.

5. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

This is good news. I am in. Listening to my Virgin vinyl pressing now. Sounds so good. I'll be interested to hear Steve's work on this.

6. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

This is great news. I also hope fir a Apple Venus Vol. 1 5.1 release. River of Orchids in surround would be sweet with all the strings.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm in.

8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Black Sea is a favorite of mine. Has a tarck listing been posted? I haven't seen one yet.

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Andy just confirmed that Terry is signing postcards for this release :pineapple: not yet up for preorder though.

He also mentioned that they're hoping to do it again for the next four 5.1 reissues, so there's hope for anyone who missed one :)

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

This is what I get for not reading new threads here... I miss the good news! Very excited for this one.... can't wait to see what they come up for the packaging (green paper bag?).

Phil Tate likes this.
  11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Maybe the outer slip case will be green with band/title typeface and the digipack will gave the album cover.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I recently went back and listened to Black Sea again after quite awhile. In retrospect, I would call it XTC's heaviest album; it's still pop but much more rock oriented than subsequent releases.

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

It's a toss-up (for me) as to whether English Settlement or Black Sea is their best album, but this is great news!

14. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

I'll be first in line for this one. Great news!
    But I can't help but wish it was The Big Express. I'd love to hear Wake Up in all it's glorious, Steve Wilson mixed, surround sound. Especially the ending.

bluerondo and rednoise like this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Is there a way to pre-order? There is no mention over at Ape House.

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I'm glad to hear someone else appreciate "Wake Up". It's one of my very favorite XTC songs, but I rarely hear others refer to it, and then it's often in disparaging terms. The arrangement and performance are fantastic, very dense and dramatic, and would make for a great surround recording.

17. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Not yet.

I'm sure this thread and Andy's twitter will let us know when.

jsayers likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm really keyed up over this one. Love, love, love Black Sea.

michanes and DetroitDoomsayer like this.
  19. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Absolutely! Wake Up has it all. Powerful drive, meaningful lyrics sung with conviction, slashing guitar, wall-shaking bass, pounding drums, and a background choir of sweetly singing Angels.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've always liked that track--it grabs you by the lapels right out of the gate and it's gonna sound awesome in 5.1. Though Big Express is uneven at times, I think that it potentially has the most to gain from the S. Wilson treatment.

chickendinna likes this.
  21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with XTC for whatever reason, but I've enjoyed Wilson's work in the past. Gave Drums and Wires CD stereo remix a spin. Spectacular sound quality and I really enjoyed the music as well. Will check out Skylarking soon and then pick up the others, including this one when it is released!

Tom34772, sennj and Frank Field like this.
  22. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Don't skip on the original CDs, if you see them in a shop. Since I got curious about XTC about a year ago (like you, I wasn't familiar with them until Wilson started remixing the albums), I've been picking them up as I find them, and they've all sounded very good to me. So far, I've nabbed Nonsuch, Oranges and Lemons, Drums and Wires, English Settlement, and Skylarking. These albums are all new to me, and I've liked them all so far -- all the CDs sound great!

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

In case you didn't know, the original mixes are included in the CD+DVD/CD+BR packages, amongst many hours of extras.

jamesc and jh901 like this.
  24. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I didn't know that, actually. Thank you!

Are they on the CD or just on the DVD/BR discs?

Plan9 likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The CDs only contain the remixes + a few bonus tracks. The flat transfers of the original mixes (+ the remasters of the original mixes where applicable) are on the DVD-Audio and the Blu-Ray discs.
    Note that they didn't do DVDs for the two latest remixes (Oranges & Lemons, Skylarking), those only exist on Blu-Ray.

ermylaw likes this.