The Doors - L.A. Woman Vinyl re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dani Kalmar, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani Kalmar

Dani Kalmar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

There is a 2003 180g re-issue from Germany (ELK 42090) and another 180g re-issue from 2009 (US & Europe 8122-79865-5)
    I assume both from digital source. Is there any significant difference between them sound quality wise ?

2. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

The reissue from 2009 is cut by Bernie Grundman, who usually does a great job remastering! Really like his Morrison Hotel, so I would assume that L.A. Woman also sounds terrific. I have no info on the 2003 reissue though, but the one from 2009 seems like a safe bet sound quality wise.

3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

If the 2009 is the Rhino, it sounds pretty good.

4. Dani Kalmar

5. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

Although the 2009 Bernie Grundmans are not all-analog, they are advertised to have used original masters/mixes which is probably the next best thing. I have a copy and it sounds very good to my recollection. Without knowing any details on that German 2003 edition, I'd go with the 2009.

6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

And what about the Analogue Productions 45 RPM reissue? I've both this and the Rhino reissue, the AP reissue is the winner to these ears...

steviebee, AllenR, Cassius and 2 others like this.
  7. As good as they might have seemed in 2008/9, the Rhino versions simply pale into insignificance compared to the Analogue Productions counterparts. I only retain the Rhino's for their historical accuracy (1 x 33rpm). I never play them now.

GyroSE likes this.
  8. Dani Kalmar

I am sure the AP 45 reissue is great but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money...

Preston likes this.
  9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

You only live once and let me tell you, you wouldn't want to live without the AP 45 reissue, if this is one of your favorite albums. The sound is amazing.

10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

This has already been discussed before: Analog Productions vs Rhino re-issue. Personally Im in the minority - I have both and I prefer the Rhino one, it has less distortion, the AP one is definitely analog but sounds like it has been taken from inferiour tape.

11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I recently bought this one: The Doors - L.A. Woman
    This after someone here in another thread said it compared well to the AP issue soundwise. I don't own the AP, but to my ears this one sounds good. And the artwork is really good, a lovely replica of the original artwork. For me it's a keeper.

latheofheaven and GyroSE like this.
  12. Dani Kalmar

latheofheaven likes this.
  13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Don't.....
    Please then look for the 2009 version and please make sure they sell you the right one.

14. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I grew up with LP's and the idea of turning that thing over every couple of songs seems just plain wrong to me.
    For the life of me I cannot get used to 45 RPM albums.
    The original flow of that LP (and others) has become part of my DNA.

I'm sure it's my loss but so it goes ...

15. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

The AP Vinyls audio to jackets are simply superb. Expensive for sure but if you’re a Doors nut, a must own.

SteveM likes this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for the AP 33rpm set

17. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

You said "vinyls" :shh:

latheofheaven and BlueSpeedway like this.
  18. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Will there be one?

19. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I, too, have the 2009 Rhino and am very pleased.

20. blunosr

blunosr Forum Resident

I splurge a couple of times a year on a $5o plus AAA record and since it was my birthday this week, I got L.A. Woman @ 45rpm shipped along with some Classic Records on sale from Acoustic Sounds. Damn this one is a killer! Has anyone heard the "whispers" vocal tracks on Riders on the Storm? I never have until now! The soundstage is so detailed on this that it was actually quite haunting. Crank this album way up and enjoy a damn near perfect audiophile experience. Easily in my top five best AAA reissues I own; #1 being the Ziggy Stardust 40th anniversary.

zboski, Soundslave, GyroSE and 3 others like this.
  21. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I heard the whisper before but was as well amazed by quality of this reissue that I got for New Year. Really showcases everything from the studio.

22. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

The AP 45rpm of LA Woman is jaw dropping. Took me a while to pull the trigger, but absolutely zero regrets other than I'd wish I did it sooner.

zboski and Soundslave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.