Made in Holland - The Dutch Music Thread (discussion about Dutch songs)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Echo

Echo Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Dutchie I always wondered how our (Dutch) music will being heard in other countries with other languages and partly other tastes in music. At the other side I'm wondering if you've never been interested to know which music you would have learned while living in a small country like Holland. Amsterdam is a place many people here at SHTV love, some even wished to live there. So why not to know more about it's pop/rock music?

Of course, as music fan you will know bands as our Golden Earring and Shocking Blue, and maybe also Herman Brood & His Wild Romance, Focus, Earth & Fire (no, that band with Wind, that came later and is from the US) and, who knows, even some new wave/punk or nowadays bands. Known with e.g. The Nits? Good for you.

There were however so many more, but they were not interested in the US or UK charts or were singing in Dutch, creating by that a wide gap with a foreign audience. That's why I liked the idea to start a thread about great Dutch pop/rock songs of all different decades and to discuss the merits of these. Great to hear or awfull to you? Post it and explain why!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    ARK, longdist01, siebrand and 11 others like this.
  2. Echo

1. Boudewijn de Groot - 'Prikkebeen' (1968)
    Boudewijn de Groot is coming from the city of Haarlem and is in Holland still a very wellknown singer. He is, more or less, being seen as the Dutch Bob Dylan or even the Dutch Leonard Cohen. The reason is not only the decade these singers started their musical career in, but also the poetic content of all the songs. Cohen and Dylan wrote the most by themselves, De Groot got luck. He had a friend, called Lennaert Nijgh, who was a poet by profession and who wrote the most part of his beautifull songs (at least, 'till the first stole Nijgh's wife :)).

Boudewijn de Groot has sung always in Dutch with, for me, a funny accent telling his background as child of a high class family, In this song 'Prikkebeen' (from 1968) he asked a female singer doing parts of the song. Funny is the fact she is singing with the same Dutch high class accent, close to that of e.g. our former Queen. Hmm, maybe we should call him after all the Dutch Nick Drake?

What's the song about, is difficult to explain. It's a great linguistic game with Dutch proverbs and sayings, but is maybe going about Father Time. Yes, even difficult for me to understand while this song must be made by means of some products of our Dutch coffee shop (where you can't get any coffee) . It's being made in a psychedelic era, you know :)

PS: These Amsterdam buildings you see in this video clip are all destroyed by the remarkable politcal idea in the sixties/early seventies that 'newly constructed buildings would be better for its inhabitants than these old ones'. Thank God, most survived and are now under UNESCO protection.

3. poidog

poidog Senior Member

I absolutely love Bettie Serveert.
    Their early albums were released on Matador here and they got some traction on college radio but then faded into obscurity. But that is everyone else's loss because they are still making incredible music. Their last two, Oh Mayhem and Damaged Good are stellar.

longdist01, AndrewK, CWChrome and 4 others like this.
  4. Echo

Haha, maybe later. I saw Betty Serveert recently as extra act for a gig of Blondie at Paradiso Amsterdam.
    Did you like also ^ this 60's song? :)
    Less rocking, I know, but still...

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I've always been a big fan of Group 1850, Supersister, Earth & Fire and various one-off albums like Ahora Mazda and Cargo. Never saw any personally here in the US, but I understand Robert Jan Stipps is active today.

Arjan Korenhof, klockwerk and Yost like this.
  6. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

7. Echo

Yes, Robert jan Stips is still active, as solo act and as member of the great band Nits.

I hope you will all read my first post with the intention of this thread: a discussion about for you (mostly) unknown Dutch songs :)

8. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Bit of an obvious choice this, but I LOVE Focus:

9. Still an active member of the Nits, they're releasing a new album Angst this month. Sadly with Sacha van Geest and Ron van Eck both dead there's no chance that Supersister will ever be active again.

index

10. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Diesel had a sizable (and excellent) U.S. hit in 1981 with "Sausalito Summernight".. A lot of folks here assumed it was Steve Miller!

McLover, AndrewK, AKA-Chuck G and 3 others like this.
  11. Echo

IS SOMEONE NOT GETTING THE IDEA YOU ARE NOW DISCUSSING ALL THE DUTCH SONGS WHICH WERE ABLE TO REACH A FOREIGN AUDIENCE??

MY INTENTION IS HOWEVER TO DISCUSS ALL THE OTHER SONGS WHICH DIDN'T , SO YOU WILL MOSTLY NOT KNOW!!!!

HELP!!!!! :rolleyes:

(please, read #1)

12. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Yost and Echo like this.
  13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I got the original idea. Since you're talking about artists most of us probably don't know though, you'll have to post more examples to get the discussion going. :)

I'm anxious to hear the first song you posted when I get home from work. This sounds like an interesting thread.

Mark

longdist01 and Echo like this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is Solex well known outside of NL? The album Solex Ahoy! is based on the regional dialects of the differing Dutch regions, recorded with local musicians as she toured the country's waterways. Great album.

Example:

klockwerk and Mark Wilson like this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Creepy. The opening still shot shows my sister's house.

16. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I'm no big Doe Maar fan, but I like the first part of this song (until it starts sounding like a Doe Maar song)

17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

While I quite like the second part, but mostly because it is the second part.
    But then againg, I am a huge Doe Maar fan ;)

18. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

But how's about Meindert Talma! This version of John The Revalator sure beats The White Stripes one

mullet, longdist01 and head_unit like this.
  19. Echo

FIRST ONLY MEMBERS POSTING DUTCH SONGS NOT INTENDED, NOW FELLOW COUNTRYMEN (NOT MY TARGET AUDIENCE IF YOU'VE READ MY FIRST POST) DROPPING THEIR OWN SONGS HERE.... COULD YOU NOT START YOUR OWN THREAD? NO OWN IDEAS?

WELL, IT SEEMS MY THREAD IS COMPLETELY HIJACKED...
    I'M GONE AND WILL NOT CONTINUE ANYMORE WITH MY THREAD. SORRY FOLKS.:shake:

GOOD LUCK WITH MY THREAD

20. @Echo I think it isn't really clear what your intention is. Should we only react to the examples you post or should we post our own examples?

And using all caps is the internet equivalent of yelling, so people are turned off real quick by you using that.

stef1205, Freek999, mindgames and 3 others like this.
  21. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

@Echo I am terribly sorry I replied to YOUR thread. I'll leave you to it :shake:

MrGrumpy likes this.
  22. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Not for nothing, but your English leaves a little to be desired. I read your response to my earlier post three times and had no idea what you meant. It wasn't until your later post explaining your initial intent that I figured out what you were saying to me.
    I don't mean that as an insult, at all. I just think, under the circumstances, you may be overreacting to the thread not going as you intended.

Phil12, Yorick and Johan1880 like this.
  23. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Try this:
    Although there are a few Dutch bands that achieved international exposure, I think there are many more great Dutch bands that most around the world don't know.
    I would like to post clips of songs by some great Dutch bands/artists that you probably haven't heard and get your thoughts on them.

Dan Steely likes this.
  24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I was basically going to post some Dutch tracks that could be of interest to people outside The Netherlands, but they probably never would have heard of.

After all the shouting I re-read the first post and it is really very subtle, but basically only people not from my country that know unknown songs from my country are allowed to post.

Well, if you do, please also mention how you got to know these unknown Dutch songs. I'm really curious. :righton:

Freek999 likes this.
  25. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

This is my new favourite thread.