Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love that cover! How does the sound and performance compare to the Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh recording? (If you won both.)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Thanks. It's an old collection-- that is, I don't add much to it these days, especially being retired. Records are shelved all over the house in 3 rooms, 3 closets, and in the basement. Finding something can be a challenge, as I don't have any of it cataloged on computer-- just a basic by-period/by-composer shelving system... and my memory.

And, oh, the memories sparked by the music and the physical albums. I could never get that from downloads...

3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:evil:

:love:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

Hey! I love this performance. I prefer it to the Richter/Oistrach/ Rostropovitsch under Karajan.
    But it is also really good.

On the TT.....:tiphat:

This EMI Electrola German pressing sounds nice too.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Personally, I prefer Third Stream artists like Jacques Loussier

Jacques Loussier Trio-Pastorale in C minor

bluemooze likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Spotify, "Heavenly Harmonies - Music of Byrd & Tallis" performed by Stile Antico on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Sound-The Analogue Years box. Includes The Poem of Ecstasy.

[​IMG]

crispi, mdekoning, Wes H and 5 others like this.
  8. DeepFloyd11

That's so cool! My small collection is also filed like that. Period, composer, solo, orchestral.....

Here's the photo of where I have the classical music. The IKEA shelves are getting full.
    [​IMG]

I had to migrate Opera and opera boxsets to this unit that holds a few books as well.

[​IMG]

And in this unit I have classical boxsets and a small collection of rock/ jazz stuff (just a few of his various multiples I got from my husband, don't even know why, since I mostly play classical/ opera on my TT and love to hear that other stuff on his TT ). Notice my Time Life 'Foods of the World' cookbook collection. Near mint and for only $ 10 CAD a piece! Very, very proud of that. Another amazing lucky find in our local used books store.

[​IMG]

9. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

mdekoning, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  10. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

11. DeepFloyd11

Forgot to mention....I also don't enjoy downloads. I do own a tablet and an iPod, but that's only to work out or bike - or to stream to the boombox when I am cleaning our bathroom/kitchen. I need the physical thing of an LP or CD to make me happy completely.

Wes H, Eigenvector and David*M like this.
  12. bluemooze

What group had the warm rich sound? :)

13. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the Golden Age of Living Stereo: The Remastered Collector's Edition
    [​IMG]

hvbias, mdekoning, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  14. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

:D
    I love that you have two copies of Wayne Gretzky's book. No doubt a requirement of Canadian law that every household must have two - one for everyday reading, and a safety copy for back-up. :D

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  15. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 2 from "Debussy - His Works For Orchestra Vol. II" performed by the Orchestra Of Radio Luxembourg led by Louis De Froment on Vox.

[​IMG]

16. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I also have this LP on the Speakers Corner release! Yes, Speakers Corner LPs are expensive but I have many of them and in every case where I also have an original, the Speakers Corner sounds better. Also quieter! I try to get them when Soundstage Direct has them on sale so the price doesn't hurt as much!

[​IMG]

17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

This was just reissued on LP and I picked it up. It sounds great to me!

[​IMG]

mdekoning, Six String, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

Awww I wish the explanation was this fun....and I am sure in many Canadian households that would be the exact reason.

They are both signed copies -one for my husband and the other for his only, baby sister who passed away 2 years ago - so now it's his. :cry:

19. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Khachaturian - Violin Concerto /Tchaikovsky - Meditation" performed by Itzhak Perlman with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra led by Zubin Mehta on EMI.

[​IMG]

20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Two smoking hot performances!

bigstar87 and ibanez_ax like this.
  21. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "George Chadwick - Symphony No. 2/Horatio Parker - A Northern Ballad" performed by the Albany Symphony Orchestra led by Julius Hegyi on New World Records.

[​IMG]

22. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Bartok - Divertimento, Romanian Folk Dances/Janacek - Mladi" performed by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on DG.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Six String like this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Just FYI... the U.S. release on the London label had a very different cover. Nevertheless, a great album.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

A nicely-worn cover! :righton: -Hopefully that shows frequent use and enjoyment.
    I have many "Vox Boxes" --a great and inexpensive way to collect "complete" editions of a composer's music. Much like today's CD box sets. And many of mine show wear on the box cover! ;)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

As did the 1989 CD.
    [​IMG]