American Horror Story (S7) "Cult"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

After the mostly awful S6 "Roanoke", I'm not sure why I keep coming back, but I do. The promos always catch my interest and I'll watch again. I've purposely avoided the actual previews as I like not knowing much going in. I also understand there are clowns.

Premieres 9/5, this Tuesday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST and Tord like this.
  2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'll be checking it out. Also agree about last seasons "Roanoke", terrible.

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I actually enjoyed about half of Roanoke (the reenactment portion), but it got hokey as it went on.

I can't figure out the concept of this new season yet. It sure doesn't look scary. It just looks weird. I'm definitely curious enough to see how it plays out.

4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I'm still wondering what ever happened to the Minotaur from the Coven? It killed a girl then just kinda disappeared into New Orleans?

5. SunnyPhila

SunnyPhila New Member

I love this show. I thought Roanoke was awful. I only watched about six episodes and realized it was going nowhere. My favorite seasons have been Coven and Hotel. Hotel started off so gory I almost bailed but it sustained such a level of horror that I couldn't turn away.

Ghostworld and jsayers like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll tune in. I liked Roanoke, it was weird and campy enough. Hotel I lasted half of one episode and bailed. I enjoyed all the others with the second season my favorite.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Friendly reminder: No political discussion, as per forum rules. (Not clowning around, huh-huh.)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Hotel was my second favorite after Asylum but I'm still not 100% on what the pink latex morph suit with a strap-on drill was supposed to be. Was he a ghost?

9. So, the first episode was...good? Yeah, kind of good. It certainly makes me wonder what will happen next.

Since these threads have always had spoilers, I won't use the tag this time, but I'll warn right now...

***Spoilers***

So, the Sarah Paulson character wigged out when the last election was determined. I thought, "Wow, that's a bit dramatic." In hindsight, however, we see that she had a past history of mental illness, so I guess it makes sense.

Obviously the guy with the blue hair has some mental history, as well.

So, am I right that the incident with the clowns in the grocery store, and at the Asian couple's home, really happened, yet the clowns that Paulson begins to see are a hallucination brought on by the grocery store scene? In the store the loudspeaker was playing a presidential speech, and the guy behind the counter might have been in on it.

That would especially make sense, since she got in her car and there was a clown behind her, that right then the hallucinations began.

10. Lonson

Wow. A strong start.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Paulson's always been the show's secret heavyweight, last night she proved it again. At 1st, her reaction to the election results made me laugh, but as she continued it became clear she was unhinged. In contrast, her political 'opposite', the Evan Peters character, borders on comical, totally lacking any of the gravitas and depth of Paulson, which I believe is intentional on the part of the story tellers. Politics and Trump are plot points that I hope take a backseat to the shenanigans as I really don't want to hear it!

12. Lonson

Personally I wish they'd really go there, but that's just me. I'm happy with what they've introduced and how it was done.

Yes, Paulson is a real powerhouse in this series. I'm glad she's heavily featured so far at least this series.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I'm way behind, I just started season 1 on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. So far so good the first season is really good.

14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I suspect the clown stuff at the supermarket actually happened. But it's being covered up by the guy (Chaz Bono) that worked there, so no evidence of it.

The Asian guy really was murdered, that isn't in her imagination. I also suspect the detective is in on things, since he told them it was a murder-suicide, when in fact we saw the clowns do it, and even leave messages on the walls before they left.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Loved it. This show always starts out strong, though. We'll see if they can keep it up.

Agree that Paulson is the best part of the series. I also liked the political angle they threw in, but I hope that's not a big part of the show throughout the season.

16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Bringing back Twisty in one of the earliest scenes hinted they knew the first episode was weak and needed an attention grabber. His appearance was same old same old. Added nothing to what I thought was a very mediocre episode. Yea, Evan Peters' character shows promise but that's about the only positive I took from the epi :targettiphat: To say something positive, they left room for improvement.
    Caveat, I've pretty much loved the rest of the seasons, ain't no casual fan here.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I had forgotten about this, but my sister recorded it and told me it wasn't very good. Glad I watched it anyway because I rather liked it. I'll at least give it another couple episodes to see where it goes, but I thought it was a strong start with some genuine clown creepiness!

18. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Thumbs up from this cowboy...good to see Evan Peters in a big role. Paulson is in a pretty thankless role as the crazy one who no one believes (we've been here before way too many times) but I trust Murphy to move things along in his usual bizarre and macabre manner. The political angle is fun...the true horror story really...although the Trypophobia (fear of holes and irregular patters) is a new one...already way better than Roanoke (the less said about that the better).

jsayers likes this.
  19. I wigged out last November too and I didn't have a history of mental illness. Looking forward to real or imaginary clowns in the coming season

Lonson likes this.
  20. agentalbert

Some of the lines in the first episode gave me a good laugh. My favorites:

- The proudest moment of my life was when Lena Dunham re-tweeted me.

- How dare CNN show the election results without giving us a trigger warning first!

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Pretty good, huh? Gone is most of the corny stuff from last season.

"Hey Lesbians!" I laughed at that line (coming from a gay man - evidently paranoid about the Russians, or whatever).

The story keeps getting interesting. It's all setup, yeah? It looks like the next episode kicks into overdrive.

So far it's not been too overtly political, but since I don't do politics (and neither does the forum), what do I know?

The clowns are real, though. :shh:

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm curious to see how they eventually explain Twisty's existence in the modern day.

pablo fanques likes this.
  23. agentalbert

Do they need to? Aren't all of the scenes with him just in someone's mind, like the kid after reading comics?

jsayers likes this.
  24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't think so. I think some of the clown scenes are actual events, not all are imagined.

It's possible that Twisty's scenes are all imagined, but why would he specifically be imagined by people in a different part of the country 50 years after he was killed in Season 4?

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

He might be immortalized in those clown comics the kids are reading? :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.