David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I've read that quite a few songs were cut for the theatrical version

Money. Us and them. Fat Old Sun. The Blue. Faces of Stone. On An Island. Today.

2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Don't forget everyone's favorite: The Girl in the Yellow Dress...

rontoon likes this.
  3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Well I was! Sound in the cinema was too quiet with almost no bass and the 4k picture looked very average to me. Can't see the point of 4k if the director decides to use a soft focus. I didn't like the version of Great Gig, Gilmour let the backing vocalists sing the chorus of "In Any Tongue", which is the highlight of the last album IMO. I also felt the sax at the end of Shine On was a bit ham fisted. I'll still buy the blu ray but i don't feel this was classic Gilmour.

4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Just got back home. Sound, picture, performance all magnificent.

Edit: overall, I would happily see another concert film at the same cinema in similar circumstances. Excellent experience. Let's have a 4K version of the original Pompeii!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    SteveFff and rontoon like this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the concert, but was disappointed it was so edited.

We were back on the pub by half nine.

I'd rather have been listening to The Blue, and Fat Old Sun.

mdm08033 and NunoBento like this.
  6. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

So you go to the pub, see the film and then go back to the pub on a week night? Not criticizing, just want to know if that's common night out in England. Over here it's drive to the mall, go see a film, go home.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Generalize much?

vitorbastos123 and rontoon like this.
  8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

A couple of those are not on the DVD/BR release either, though.

9. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

England sounds like fun!

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I noticed I preferred the Manzenara/Carin lineup than the Pompeii lineup from clips I've heard.

11. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Exactly!

12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I'd probably agree with all these points, but they'd be my only grievances, and I wasn't as irritated with the vocal arrangement of On Any Tongue as I was with The Great Gig in the Sky.

High Hopes, On Any Tongue, Sorrow, Time and Comfortably Numb were worth the price of admission alone. I also thought Rattle That Lock sounded great. Definitely the best track all night for the bass.

I take it everyone got the mini documentary, Return to Pompeii, beforehand? Sometimes these screenings aren't universal, and some cinemas show "bonus material" that others don't.

Merman and oxegen like this.
  13. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I knew I shouldn't have said "no-one". :) Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. We didn't have the audio issues you described.

14. rontoon

That's not part of the main feature on the official release.

15. rontoon

A couple? I only saw that Us and Them wasnt included in the main feature. Forgot about that one.

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Us and Them wasn't played at Pompeii.

David Gilmour Setlist at Anfiteatro Romano, Pompei

David Gilmour Setlist at Anfiteatro Romano, Pompei

The only song not on the Blu ray is Girl in the Yellow Dress.

BLU-RAY
    1. 5 A.M.
    2. Rattle That Lock
    3. Faces Of Stone
    4. What Do You Want From Me
    5. The Blue
    6. The Great Gig In The Sky
    7. A Boat Lies Waiting
    8. Wish You Were Here
    9. Money
    10. In Any Tongue
    11. High Hopes
    12. One Of These Days
    13. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
    14. Fat Old Sun
    15. Coming Back To Life
    16. On An Island
    17. Today
    18. Sorrow
    19. Run Like Hell
    20. Time/breathe (In The Air) (Reprise)
    21. Comfortably Numb
    22. Pompeii Then And Now (Documentary)

rontoon likes this.
  17. rontoon

Ah okay, thanks for the reminder. My post was in reference to the songs on the Blu-ray that were cut for the theatrical release.

18. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I could not make it tonight due to my schedule but I wanted to. It seems to me like I remember the Roger Waters Wall film actually getting another one night showing, so I wonder if this will too. The difference is the DVD and blu-ray are out much sooner in this case. Also it seems like to me this film was at many more theaters than the Waters Wall film.

19. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

It was a great event! I'm really starting to dig these theatrical releases for my favorite artists for many reasons:

1) usually can't afford 100+ dollar tickets and/or travel expenses to shows nowadays.
    2) nothing like seeing these events with other like-minded fans!
    3) I don't buy DVD's much anymore, or if I do I don't watch them repeatedly. So this is a nice alternative.
    4) Great vibe at these. I've seen Roger's Wall, Rush Time Machine, Beatles Eight days a Week and a U2 movie event from around the time of HTDAAB. Crowds were really into it.

I hope we get a theatrical release down the road for Roger's Us and Them!

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I didn't think "The Blue" was part of the main feature either, but in fact it is.
    My mistake.

rontoon likes this.
  21. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Just got back from the movie in Kalamazoo Michigan. Absolutely fantastic. Sights, sound, audience all great. I loved the tour so much in Chicago! Grateful to have this experience of the Pompeii show. Very emotional evening. Wonderfully musical. Broke down in tears when I returned home, describing to my wife what David's music has meant to me (my first "real" concert was the Floyd on the Animals Tour in Chicago), and this was such a powerful performance (as was the tour shows I saw). The opening sequence, David describing the return to Pompeii and the "Rick segment" and In Any Tongues > High Hopes (I was raving about this sequence after I came back from the Chicago shows) all just stellar. One of These Days > Shine On transcendent! One could feel in the room at our cinema the audience being won over and being overcome. There was the gradual smattering of applause after certain passages, and then by the end really strong applause. I wore my tour tee from the United Center shows and enjoyed talking with a few fans who were at those shows in the movie theatre with me. Had this thought as the lights came up: Is it too much to ask that he might tour again one more time? I'm grateful for what we've had (he's that rare rock artist whose music has reflected what it's meant to "age" with him [I'm 54])--but, man, just one more time... Looking forward to the release!

22. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

AMAZING!!!! Heavily edited but superb and LOUD!!!!
    I´m going again tomorrow!!!

23. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

The solo on In Any Tongue is insane!!!!

24. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

The theater I was at had the complete Dolby Atmos setup. Sound was full surround and crystal clear - and, typically, harsher as the volume increased. (IF I could have tweaked the dial just a little...!)

My wife, who doesn't listen to Gilmour much and was a 70's Floyd listener, really liked it.

I thought it was both beautiful and substantially different from previous concert releases if only because of the new musicians hired for this project. Pratt and DiStanislao continue as rhythmic core - for which I'm very grateful. The background singers, the keyboardists, and the sax/guitar player who was in and out were all excellent IMO. I only thought the one keyboardist who sang the Waters' parts of Comfortably Numb lacked presence in that moment. But few have succeeded there, so no big deal. All the musicians had the chance to shine and really brought some new approaches to the music without losing the feel. I LOVED how the backup singers handled Great Gig! Less individualized singing. More choreographed. A welcome revision of this classic.

The theater presentation was an abridged form of the blu ray as there were several songs cut from the published set list for the upcoming release: Faces of Stone, The Blue, Money, Fat Old Sun, Coming Back to Life, On An Island, and Today were all left out. It seemed to work very well in this setting as people were clapping here and there mostly to familiar Floyd tunes. People seemed satisfied when the credits rolled.

It was emotional for me at the beginning because of the short docu-style intro which included A Boat Lies Waiting in the background, and the opening scenes of Pompeii where I visited with my family two years ago. It felt very familiar in a rather haunting way.

A great night. Can't wait for my Deluxe Blu Ray Box and the full setlist, the extras, etc....

Another big difference between this and RTN or Gdansk is the lack of color saturation due to the outdoor night environment. So visually and aurally a nice, new vintage Gilmour presentation! FUN!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  25. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I thought this song was the emotional highlight of the presentation.

Carserguev, SteveFff and Merman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.