R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

If the approach for vinyl that they used for the Out Of Time set is any indication, the prospect for this isn't good. I think the consensus here was that was cut from brickwalled digital files. I don't have an original pressing to compare to, but I was not knocked out by the sound on my copy.

musictoad and Paully like this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any guesses on which demos turned into what?

3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah that doesn't sound promising at all. Such a shame, this album would sound so so great with a true quality AAA mastering/pressing. At least the CD sounds really good for what it is.

c-eling and George P like this.
  4. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Curious what the last handful of tracks on Disc 4 could be.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Pretty sure Auto had elements of digital recording and or mixing from what I've read over the years. The DVD-A having a cut-off at 48 is a good clue.

Paully and musictoad like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

EPK(15 mins?) and music videos. I think all previously released.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Oh, quite possible a DVD/Blu-Ray disc... I see.

Count me in. I've always been a sucker for this album.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

@musictoad
    Not taking a stab, I love this album. Kind of reinvigorated my interest in REM when it was released. I'd love to have confirmation this was a AAA recording, and agree I'd buy it in a heartbeat if re-released this way :). With run of the mill re-issues i've kind of lost faith.

George P and Paully like this.
  9. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

The Out of Time Reissue/remaster LP was absolutely horrible. I sent it back after one listen. I used to own the original US AFTP and it was superb and sounded like AAA recording. We can only hope this will just simply be a reissue and not anything else.

FLF, George P, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  10. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Oh you're good, I didn't take it that way, I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm not surprised actually, considering when it was recorded.

c-eling likes this.
  11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Forum Resident

According to the timeline, this is Try Not To Breathe.

8 June - 10 July 1992 - Bad Animals, Seattle, WA
    tracks recorded included:
    10 June - C To D Slide (Man On The Moon)
    13 June - Drive
    17 June - Passion (Try Not To Breathe)
    other tracks recorded included: Star Me Kitten
    notes: Mixing Sessions for 'Automatic For The People'. Contrary to popular belief, the mixed version created on 10 June 1992 for 'Man On The Moon' had complete lyrics refuting the legend that it wasn't all written and sung until the last day of mixing.

davers, Hep Alien and Joti Cover like this.
  12. megatroptimus

See page 5.

13. megatroptimus

This reissue is pretty exciting, and the Monster and NAIHF ones should be as well. Nothing ever really leaked from the Monster sessions, and the band had a good bunch of outtakes for NAIHF.

drivingfrog, J_D__, noahjld and 2 others like this.
  14. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Dolby Atmos is based around the concept of "audio objects," which are isolated sound elements stored with positioning metadata. Theater implementations can have up to 64 discrete speakers, which would include two rows of overhead speakers running from the front to the back of the theater. The position of an "audio object" is not fixed to any individual channel, it is sent to the best available position within any given speaker layout to achieve the closest representation of an Atmos mix.
    In the home theater, Atmos data is adapted to spatial encoding carried within the established audio formats (like Dolby True HD), and can only be output to 34 speakers max (10 overhead speakers).

I experienced this in a theater with the film Baby Driver and the capabilities are intriguing, though I'm not sure if music mixes are the most natural use of the technology. The 50th anniversary remix of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was showcased in a handful of theaters with an Atmos mix, but since it was such a limited event, I never heard it, nor do I know whether the technology added anything to the experience.

Runicen and The Hud like this.
  15. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Just need to mention that I have piles of Alsdorf pressed US artists' vinyl and frankly the majority seriously differs from originals.
    Since early 80s Alsdorf is known for performance with varied success.
    The only exception to my experience is Precision Lab cut LPs released in between 1991 and 1995 - by some weird reason all of them been repressed in Germany like sonic paradise.

16. SoundAdvice

What is big talk?

Any guesses on Monty, Nightswimming(Mike's Pop?), Winged Mammel Theme, Organ Song, Mandolin Strum, NOLA #1 and NOLA#2.

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I wonder if we'll get another 3 LP release this time around. And if so, will it be the live show or the demos as the extra discs?

18. megatroptimus

New song.

19. megatroptimus

anthontherun likes this.
  20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    SamS and Hep Alien like this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I wonder why they left Star Me Kitten in the album when you had the far superior Photograph.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

5.1 mix?

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Didn't the Out of Time Deluxe feature a new 5.1 mix? (I honestly don't remember.)

24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I love Photograph, but they had trouble finishing the arrangement until they were asked to do the Born To Choose comp and asked Natalie Merchant if she could finish it off (which she did to great effect).

I am very excited to hear the demos especially "The Devil Rides Backwards On A Horse Named Maybe", the existence of which we've been taunted with for years.

Hep Alien, J_D__ and IronWaffle like this.
  25. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I know there is a lot of love out there for this phase of REM (including an old friend of mine who credited this record with keeping him alive during a nervous breakdown) but this is where, to me, the band morphed into something else entirely and I started to drift away. I think I am in the minority among fans of the band in this.