Anyone kinda like those Japanese "statement" amps? (and here's a new Technics)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Technics launches Grand Class SU-G700: The Definitive Integrated Amplifier Fully Conveying the Energy-of-the-Moment Music | News | Technics US
    "Technics launches Grand Class SU-G700: The Definitive Integrated Amplifier Fully Conveying the Energy-of-the-Moment Music"
    Digital jitter reduction, and PWM (Class D) amplification, with LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration) to reduce/eliminate the problem of typical Class D output filters affecting the response. And most importantly, big nice looking meters on the front, which has been shown in golden-ear sound clinics to move the sound 27% more towards "sweet" perception, away from "sour." :D

I've always kinda liked these special Japanese beasts. Including that monster 200 watt/channel receiver from I forget who that a college dorm neighbor owned. That thing had a lot of headroom I must say.

2. ErikThetaChi69

ErikThetaChi69 Member

I really like what Technics is doing these days. Now if they would only bring down the price of their stuff by $2500.

displayname, Krzych, Galley and 3 others like this.
  3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

MSRP? It's pretty enough!

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Loved the old statement amps. Nearest I had was a Sansui AU-717 a few years ago. Lasted about a year and then it failed. Wasn't worth the repair costs so it went.

In their day, fantastic, these days, less practical with the potential servicing costs.

Not quite so keen on the look of this Technics and likewise their statement around solving jitter. That's been done for years, so I wondering if some of that price is aimed at fixing something today's already been dealt with for ages.

Helom, basie-fan and PhilBiker like this.
  5. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

It has VU meters. VU Meters are like cats: They are cool and they improve everything. It's definitively something I would like to see and try, DESPITE the marketing blurb.

JENO and LAPC: Lots of text that doesn't really explain or says anything meaningful. Well, that's HiFi lingo after all so lets flow with it, whatever.

Switching power supply: OK....so what exactly is the innovation there?

Construction: That's something I can actually trust because it will be obvious the first time I'll see or handle the unit.

2x70W at 8 Ohm: It's pretty much what I would expect from a modern SS integrated stereo amp.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

It's beauty for sure. Class D I'm not keen on.

timind, Catcher10, Helom and 2 others like this.
  7. Mike-48

I see this is $2,500. Not bad for a combination DAC/integrated amp -- if it sounds good!

But on second look, the meters-on-bottom styling is beginning to bother me. It makes the unit look top-heavy. The soft blue light is gorgeous.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I wouldn't kick her out of the rack. Would love to listen to her and see how well they've optimized their class D. Betting it would sound quite nice.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL I saw that jitter reference and thought "what is it 1997 again"?

LarryP, basie-fan and Brother_Rael like this.
  10. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

"Energy-of-the-Moment Music" It's the best kind really.

forthlin and PhilBiker like this.
  11. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Can anyone point me towards a DAC or source that doesn't reduce/eliminate jitter?

Other than that, they used a whole lot of words to say "well built" and "performs well".

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yeah, yer right. It's upside down!

13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I seen the SU-C700, SL-C700, the SB-C700 speakers, and the SL-1200GR setup in person at one of my local record shops and she's a real beauty. It also sounds really good as well.

14. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

In the looks department it doesn't get much better than the latest Yamaha integrateds in silver with the natural wood sides-
    [​IMG]

sfoclt, Daedalus, mktracy and 13 others like this.
  15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Black always looks better[​IMG]

mktracy, formu_la, Gavinyl and 6 others like this.
  16. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

Stick with LUXMAN for any Japan "high end" south of Audio Note.

Billion$Baby likes this.
  17. lonelysea

Utter nonsense.

sfoclt, Helom and PhilBiker like this.
  18. Mike-48

Yes, I like the looks, too. If I were designing it, I think I'd make the meters bigger. They are useless, but they sure are pretty and entertaining to look at. Come to think of it, maybe that means they are not useless, after all.

I seem to remember Yamaha styling like that in the 1970s. I liked it then, too. The elongated selector knobs are nice to work with.

Daedalus and lonelysea like this.
  19. lonelysea

The A-S3000 has (much) larger meters but I couldn't find a decent pic of it with the natural wood sides (only piano black).

Daedalus likes this.
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That's because it only comes with black side panels whether you get the black or silver faceplate.

Speaking of which, I wish the silver version had the black VU meters.

lonelysea likes this.
  21. head_unit

The next wave will be that instead of reducing jitter they will actually creat "euphonious" jitter...

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Very true.

I considered the Yamaha AS integrated amplifiers because of the VU meters and the optional black finish. But they were too large for the shelf in the study so I bought a TEAC instead.

23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Does anyone know if that SU-G700 has a phonostage? I see no mention of it, but it seems odd that it wouldn't be included. I must have missed it.

24. head_unit

Well...but it doesn't have a "Japanese feel" in my opinion. Looks more evil (in a good way) though.

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Class D blows chunks.:agree:

Manimal and Helom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.