Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I'll have to check that out later tonight.....thanks for providing exact times. But I picked up on all the other sonic qualites in spades.

IR Shane likes this.
  2. Joti Cover

Yes, there is the faintest tick at the 2:30 mark but I couldn't discern the one at 2:32. You have very very good ears!
    I had to really bend mine to hear anything at all. Mercifully, it will go unnoticed your average listener, I'm pretty sure.
    Thanks again...also glad you're digging the music as much I and concur with your description. It does rock very well up loud.

IR Shane likes this.
  3. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Curious if either of you are listening on headphones?

I'll check out the disc and the LP tomorrow too. Obviously this is not something anyone heard in QCing the LP or CD/SACD prior.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. Joti Cover

Exactly, Shane. I used headphones. I sampled it later through my speakers wasn't able to discern it.
    Whatever it is, it doesn't get near to dominating the sound at all. Its tucked way inside like a tiny event that might have taken place in the studio during the recording session.
    To make a visual comparison, it would be like finding a particle of dust with a magnifying glass.
    Again, no casual listener will pick this up.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Joti Cover

Do you know if those same clicks are present in the Analogue Production versions? Just curious.
    I've only listened to the stereo vinyl version of Surfer Girl through speakers and haven't noticed anything....

6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I didn't notice it on the AP vinyl version of Surfin' USA, which is where I noticed the clicks on the mid-'90s MOFI CD release.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Joti Cover

Thank you! I appreciate your input on that ....

8. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I heard it on my speakers. I don't usually listen to headphones. It was loud enough to rivet my attention and make me go back and see if it was repeatable which it was.

9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I just listened to this time code on the SACD and used a stop watch on the vinyl. I have to play my system uncomfortably loud to hear "it" at all and even then if this weren't pointed out to me with a time code I'd honestly never notice. Joti's analogy of "finding a particle of dust with a magnifying glass" is spot on. "It" appears on the vinyl too, I think. Thus my guess is a tape artifact although I consider both "tick" and artifact to be too strong a words for this. I put "it" in quotation marks as to me, in a very high-resolution system, I have to squint and look at the time code to capture it, like one of those visual things you have to squint and see just right out of the corner of your eye while turning your head at the same time at the right speed. To each his own.

Dok, if you or anyone else wishes a return and refund email me at [email protected] and I'll make the arrangements.

Simon A likes this.
  10. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Pricing on Amazon Canada makes no sense (surprised?). When it first came out the Ferguslie Park lp was priced at $74. I refused to buy it at that price. Two weeks ago it was going for $50. I bought it. Now it's back up to $69. Go figure.

11. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Was the seller Amazon itself? If so the bottom line on that remains that a distributor is buying from my distributor and marking it up and selling through Amazon. Is it not possible to buy from me on Amazon or does the shipping get you?

12. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Prices on Amazon Marketplace in Canada range from $59 to $68. Anything shipped from the USA to Canada can be problematic both in time, shipping costs and customs dues. It's always better to buy from a Canadian seller. In the end I was happy with the $50 price I paid. Remember, that's $50 Canadian which I think is about $40 US. So not a bad price at all. Patience paid off!

13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'm a lucky owner of a UK first album and US Ferguslie, but I've seen your reissues in the shop and they look gorgeous. My UK first is not a Porky but it's demonstration quality. What an overlooked band.

Joti Cover and IR Shane like this.
  14. Looking forward to the next two albums on SACD. We're the master tapes for the two Joe Egan solo albums ever located? I'd love to see those released as well.5)3 CDs I had were clearly needle drops and not very good ones.

art likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I bought all the Joe Jackson releases and they sound so darned good that I just took delivery of the Stealers Wheel debut....and I am NOT even a Stealers Wheel fan! I just had to hear it - and I am the better for it. The sound is insanely good and I am digging the tunes as well....great to immerse into something new once in a while via vinyl.

Ferguslie Park......in the mail as I type! :)

16. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

If you like Ferguslie Park I recommend finding yourself a copy of Right or Wrong their third and final album. Unfortunately IR does not have that album on their releases. Right or Wrong is my favorite Stealers album.

IR Shane, johnny q and EdogawaRampo like this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It's mine too. It's just a great album start to finish, and it's engineered very well. Great SQ on stock UK copies and if memory serves on US copies as well. Well worth seeking out.

IR Shane and Clonesteak like this.
  18. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

THANK YOU! Doing Ferguslie my fondest hope was that Stuck in the Middle would hook people, and when they heard the whole album they'd wade into Ferguslie, which I still believe is an even better top to bottom album. Tell your friends!

johnny q, Simon A and Joti Cover like this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It just showed up and "Good Businessman" is playing for the first time. Again, incredible sonics and it's great to hear something new (to these ears anyway.):righton:

20. jim mcintyre

jim mcintyre New Member

hi Shane..was wondering why you didnt use the full lemgth version of Over my head.....it ran for 3:58 on some copies of the original vinyl....regards
    jim

21. jim mcintyre

jim mcintyre New Member

In case some of us dont know theres a longer version of OverMy Head on some copies of the UK vinyl of Ferguslie Park...its not on the Intervention release or the UK or Japan CDs...it runs about a minute longer with a great guitar solo

22. jim mcintyre

jim mcintyre New Member

hi jamey...the 45 is easy to find on Discogs..UK copies anyway

Jamey K likes this.
  23. jim mcintyre

jim mcintyre New Member

Some later pressings of the UK original of Ferguslie Park have a great longer version of Over My Head...although its listed as being 3:58 its actually a minute shorter on early copies....i think the new Intervention lp has the shorter version as well

24. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Simon A likes this.
  25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Because that's not what was on the tapes that were available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.