The Congos - Heart of the Congos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garrincha, Aug 8, 2016.

1. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rockford & Roll and Dodoz like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

The Blood & Fire version. By a country mile.

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Given the choice I would get the B&F also. Having said that, I just picked up whatever version is currently in print for $15 and it does not sound terrible when compared to a lot of other reggae releases. Some of the records that were pressed by big labels sound great, but anything even a little bit off the beaten path usually sounds a little bit "lofi" shall we say.

I would be very interested in a reggae best pressing thread for some of the releases by Culture, Congos, U-Roy etc.

Bananas&blow and DJ LX like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

100% the B&F version. It comes close to being "definitive":righton:

coniferouspine and ralphb like this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you aren't bothered about the extra tracks then get the Go Feet, it's an almost contemporary issue, is nicely done and pressed and costs a lot less than the BAF, at least in the real world if not on Discogs.

If you want extra tracks and lovely packaging go BAF, if you want them with a nicer pressings go Simply Vinyl.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

You want the extra tracks!

22 ziggies and crozcat like this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Incidentally has everyone recommending the BAF actually listened to the Go Feet? Just because the BAF is nice doesn't mean the Go Feet isn't.

GyroSE and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Then you need the 12" as well, or just buy the CD version.

9. June 2nd US:

40th anniversary of original or 20th anniversary of reissue:

20 years after the release of Blood & Fire’s outstanding but now deleted ‘Heart Of The Congos’ reissue, VP Records /17 North Parade release a definitive, 2017 remastered 3CD edition, put together with both respect and gratitude to that illustrious antecedent. This new deluxe 3CD edition is the first to feature the now almost impossible to find original mix of the album, unavailable since producer Lee Perry withdrew the set in 1977. Also includes the more well-known re-mix, dubs, disco mix, seven and twelve inch versions and ‘Don’t Blame It On I’ an overlooked previously unreleased track unearthed, too late to include on the Blood & Fire release, by Steve Barrow and David Katz in 1997. Look out for a featured track on the Songlines Magazine covermount CD, May 2017 issue!

The Congos-Don't Blame it on I

ledsox, johnnypaddock, nojasa and 2 others like this.
  10. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

Any reports on how the 40th anniversary version sounds?

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Damn, I didn't even know about this until they mentioned it on Sound Opinions. Price ain't bad:
    The Congos - Heart Of The Congos - Amazon.com Music

They didn't really review the sound quality though, but Greg Kot mentioned that the album was commonly released in bootleg-quality releases and to avoid those (i.e. if you're going to get it, get this version).

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Initially I thought this thread was about the great music of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

[​IMG]

culabula, speedracer and Max Florian like this.
  13. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Anyone had a chance to compare the 40th anniversary 3LP to the Blood & Fire pressing?

14. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I'd like to know this also, as well as overall sound quality/pressing.

15. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Bump for SQ reviews on the new vinyl reissue...

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Go Feat has the proper cover. If it sounded ok that would sway it for me.

Can the 3xLP on VP be trusted? My VP repress of Lee Perry Roastfish was mastered at inconsistent speed. Maybe they are better today but I don't know.

And what's the story concerning the mix? The VP press release says this is the first time the original mix has been available since 1977!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, the very first pressing had a different mix, which has not been reissued before, but that mix is not part of the 3-LP set, only the 3-CD (it was issued separately on LP for RSD), so it's a moot point if you're looking to get the vinyl. I only have the CD set, but I think you can safely expect the LPs to be excellent.

Here is the story of the different pressings and the two mixes: Upsetter Station - Out Of Africa Comes The Congoman

jfeldt, uzn007, trebori and 1 other person like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Fascinatingly complex pressing history. Thank-you.

19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

That's a great read - thx.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Reading the story – I would have thought that it was hard to get the original 53 minute full-length versions (both mixes) of the album onto an LP without compromise of sound quality, which is why, I guess, later versions had tracks shortened.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This is Reggae we are talking about, do you really think there were such rational reasons behind it? :laugh:

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have the Go Feet VPRL 1287 vinyl which I bought in 2015 (though Amazon lists it as release in 2010). It's about £15/$20 over here, new. It sounds OK, not great, to me! which rightly or wrongly I put down to the recording. I don't know how it compares to the Blood and Fire version, so that may well be better. (I'm happy to take Forum members expertise on that). I didn't really try to compare versions (different covers, tracks or lengths of tracks) but just got it alongside Culture's Two Sevens Clash after reading various reggae threads.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not if you say otherwise!

I thought the Go Feet mentioned was a 1980 pressing?

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It is, the catalogue number is for one of the previous VP issues, there have been a few.

25. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident

Dear all,

I hope I put my topic in the right forum as it's about how to select a preferred label.

I would like to get hold of the (vinyl) album "Heart of the Congos" by The Congos. At discogs there is a really large list of vinyl releases:

The Congos - Heart Of The Congos

The first affordable release of this album seems to be this one:

The Congos - Heart Of The Congos

The label is Go-Feet-Records. I'm just wondering if there are any audible differences between the different labels / releases? How do you select your records when there are so many labels / releases? (I always try to select the oldes affordable record as - until now - it seems older releases seem to sound better in general)

Kind regards,

J.