I am blown away by Denon HEOS...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ya, the Gen 2 HEOS supports integrated Bluetooth and 24/96, the original ones don't.

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thanks again.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I want to thank the OP for this thread.

A couple of months ago I purchased a few of last year's Heos links on closeout in response to what I learned in this thread. After setting these up in a few rooms, I was so impressed by how easy this system is to setup, and how cool it is to be able to synchronize music all over the house, regardless of the source that I purchased a couple more units so that I could have these running throughout my house.

I have not tried any of their speakers since I have enough speakers already. But their little link units are extremely cool in their ability to route audio signals any which way one may desire between these units. I can even play my CD player, or Turntable in my listening room, and port its signal all over the house. Or I can take the audio from the TV and send it all over my house via my various links if I am watching a game.

The analog Audio is pretty decent out of these as is. But if you want to have even better audio quality, then plug it into a really good DAC to hear the system at its best. This is an extremely cool product.

rbichamp likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Makes me think of the wireless Marshall Amp bluetooth speaker they sell at Costco. Looks like a cool Marshal Amp. Heck, Marshall even sells a cool fridge that looks like a Marshal Amp. Now that's not boring!

Google (Bluetooth speaker)

Costco Wholesale (Fridge)

9. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

For those of you currently using HEOS I've got a couple of questions as I'm debating between investing in a HEOS system vs a SONOS system. I'm leaning towards the HEOS due to the battery powered option for the HEOS 1s and that it can handle the higher bit rate audio files, but I've got some reservations after reading this article Sonos vs. Denon HEOS: Which wireless speaker system stands supreme? It's the most in-depth one I've read so far, but it's from July 2016.

1) How is the HEOS APP for iOS? I've read that it's a lot more complicated than the SONOS one. Also, does it work with Apple Music? I've read conflicting reports.
    2) Is it a pain to set up/sync the speakers? I've read that it's not as quick/simple as the SONOS.
    3) Have you listened to them side by side for quality? With the exception of the HEOS 7, it sounds like SONOS has the edge.
    4) Anyone using either HEOS soundbar? Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Can Heos speakers be paired as a stereo set like the Sonos?

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I don't believe that HEOS supports Apple Music, as Sonos is the sole provider. I'm sure their web site has the list of what services they directly link to. If they support AirPlay, you might be able to stream directly from your device.

12. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

I guess I should clarify cdash99, I don't really care about using Apple's streaming service. I just want to be able to play my iTunes files that are on my phone. Is that any different?

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

No idea, I went with Sonos due to the Apple Music streaming. I would think that it would, when doing my own comparison I found all the players' sites to be informative.

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

In order to play your iTunes files from your computer or on an iOS device wirelessly I believe you have to use AirPlay. However I don't believe Sonos supports AirPlay directly but requires the use of an intermediate device like an Airport Express or Apple TV.

Different Ways to Get Sonos working with AirPlay

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This is done via the Sonos app for the phone. You select "on this device" from the list of sources.

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Heos does not natively support Apple music. But neither does Sonos from what I understand. However it can still work as a source for apple music by selecting your phone as the device which is providing the signal.

And Heos has undergone three updates since I purchased mine to add additional features. So a 2016 review will be a bit out of date.

17. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

I downloaded the HEOS app to tinker with and can confirm that I can access all of my iTunes AAC files on my iPhone.

rbichamp likes this.
  18. soveryfaraway

soveryfaraway New Member

Love the HEOS setup I have (3 1 HS2s and a Link). Much better than SONOS equivalents. Took a lot of work to get them where they are, state that below my question. So, this is what I am looking for:

When I first got the HEOS setup, I couldn't get JRiver MC to work with them as a DLNA, wound up using Serviio as the blind server and only the iOS app to run it. Does the current version of MC support the HEOS?

I previously has a SONOS system with 3 Play 1s and 2 Connects. Lots of troubles, some from the SONOS gear, some from the ways they worked with wireless networks. The thing that ate it me the most was that even at their best, the Connects were always compressed and I suspect the Play 1s were as well. I had to learn the HEOS routine, and it wasn't easy. Mostly trial and error, and imagining what the design was. With the HEOS app, you select the playback devices. The first one in the list is the renderer for DLNA. It is the processor for the whole shebang. That's why you can't delete or move the first device in the list in the app.

That first one in your list should definitely be wired. If you can manage to wire them all, all the better. They don't need to be gigabit (!), they are plain old 'high speed'. A gigabit switch indicator will tell you this. The wired ones can play lossless, the wireless can't seem to manage that. There's a setting for each device in the app. If you break these rules, weird things happen. You can wind up with all the wired ones silent and the one wireless playing happily with the first device in the chain processing well enough for the wireless to play but not the wired units.

I had no success with SONOS Bridge or Boost. But when I installed a TP-LINK Deco mesh, things got much better. Wireless, both SONOS and HEOS are not likely to work well if at all with network extenders because they have to be on the same page (literally).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.