Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Something about the drive to the Palmer house from Odessa Texas that bothers me is, they presumably did it in one night. They are shown refueling but arrive in the same cloths all night scenes. Carrie had a packed bag so if they stopped, surely she would have showered and changed clothes. Its about a 3 day drive from Odessa to Seattle. This leads me to believe Lynch purposely left that plot hole in the show as a clue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

28 hrs per google maps. 26 to Spokane which is closer to where TP is supposed to be. At least that's where Cole and them flew to. It's conceivable he just drove straight through 1 day..

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Unless he spiked his coffee with speed, I dont think it would be logical to insinuate he drove 28 hours straight, in a suit with perfect hair.

That google stat doesnt take into account stopping or traffic issues.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

When Cooper was there, when she see him "Is it far away? He said, "Oh, it's a long way." He said, "We can make in a day." So, that made sense to me.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  5. Yeah, its a plot hole because its impossible to drive in a day.

6. drumzNspace

Has anyone ever driven like 24+ hours straight? I have.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Sure, Richard Cooper... You drove over 1800 miles and crossed mountain ranges without stopping.

8. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Ooooooooh.....

9. rburly

I have too.

10. drumzNspace

I agree it's a stretch if only Coop drove but my thinking is they only showed the home stretch the following night but it's entirely possible it's just not shown that they drove through the day and Ms. Page took at least a short shift here or there to spell Coop.

OR, Coop could've even pulled over and grabbed a wink here and there and still made it in 30ish hrs on his own.

11. Even if they took turns driving it would take a long time to cover that many miles, regardless if its possible to drive nonstop. I also, doubt an FBI agent is going to be sleeping on the road like a dog. Since were imagining things that werent offered in the scenes, why dont we assume they drove through an electrical outlet and shaved a 1000 or so miles off the trip...

but, keeping in line with the synopsis, its either a clue or a plot hole. I'd rather think its a clue considering they used the Tremonds and Chalfonts as the owners of the Palmer's house in that reality.

12. rburly

Maybe there's something to the distance and whether it's possible or not. It would certainly be possible in a dream state. I took it at the time that it was possible to go from Odessa, TX to Twin Peaks was possible the way it played out. So, there must be another explanation.

13. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

14. Gardo, rburly and Bowie Fett like this.
  15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

bopdd likes this.
  17. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Apropos of nothing at all....Mr C for tv villain of the year!

bferr1 likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

And it doesn't take into account that this is a TV SHOW, and in such a medium the people generally tend to look a lot better than we do, plus the logic and the requirements of the physical world are often made more convenient for the filmmakers, whether it's David Lynch or any other for that matter.
    :shtiphat:

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Cooper did everything in a suit with perfect hair!

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Since Cooper disappears from the Fireman's place the same way Laura disappears from being dead wrapped in plastic can we assume the actions that follow the conversation between The Fireman and Cooper cause the conversation to never happen in the first place? Or something?

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Dec 5 Blu-ray and DVD

[​IMG]

22. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

There's a lot to say for this analysis. I'm with you in that I believe we are seeing "shared worlds" for lack of a better term, and that people are certainly lost in the labyrinthian levels of consciousness. I disagree that this is a result of the atomic explosion. That to me was an explanation of how Judy and her progeny specifically infected the world (Level 1 in my earlier schema).

Although Laura/Carrie's consciousness is obviously the focus of part of the work, I'm less sure about Diane/Linda. She is so completely associated with Cooper that I have a hard time seeing her as "independant," if that makes sense. Can you say more about this?

23. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Well, they all disappear from the Fireman's place that way. Or so it would seem if we consider Andy's visit. But I think you are on to something here.

If Laura is no longer murdered, Cooper never came to Twin Peaks.

Is that where he becomes Richard?

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Yes, I agree about Linda. The more I think about it, the harder time I have seeing her as a "dreamer". At first I thought maybe Linda was Audrey, but now I have separate thoughts about Audrey and think Linda's just Richard's wife and Diane is based on her in the previous world.

Regarding the explosion, yes it introduced Judy, but don't forget that it also introduced the "Laura" orb and basically set everything in motion (the Woodsmen, the insect, etc). And while I don't necessarily think the explosion made the "labyrinthian levels of consciousness" possible, I do think it might have opened up these various dimensions and portals that we see playing out in the show, or rather that Judy and her trusty Woodsmen "built" or exploited these things once part of our world. That might in part be what we're seeing when we see all those flashes of light and Woodsmen outside the convenience store but that's just a guess. Anyway, Bill Hastings touches on it on his mock website: The Search For The Zone

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

JUST IN TIME FOR MY ANNIVERSARY. THANKS, DEAR.