Fiber stuck on stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

20170912_205255 — Postimage.org [​IMG]
    Can't get the dang thing off. I've tried my Zerodust ( which is not as sticky as it used to be and needs to be replaced), magic eraser and a stylus brush. My hands so far have been too shaky and my tweezers that we have at the house are not fine enough to pull it off.
    Any ideas Or suggestions?

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Have you cleaned your Zerodust? Seems to return mine back to where it was when new.
    BTW, I'd have to try just to pull it off, it can take a little bit-o-bump.

3. bajaed

Yes, cleaned it many times. Had it a few years and it just started losing it's stickiness over the last two or three months, need to buy a new one.

It's a very fine fiber, felt like I was right on it but couldn't grasp it w tweezers.

I may put an old record on the platter without turning on the table, see if it is still sticking straight out, then try to hold it down with a fingernail while I slowly raise the arm. Pretty funny it's this big of a pain.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Slick Willie likes this.
  4. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

You could see if it adheres to a piece of scotch tape, taking care not to actually touch the stylus.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe a little compressed air? Just a puff or two. Don't blast it.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. bajaed

Good ideas. I'm hoping it's not twisted around the stylus

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

ME may work if you know how to use it.
    So will a small brush with a tiny amount of isopropyl, but some cartridge manufacturers CAVEAT- Ortofon- use glue to attach the stylus and the alcohol may dissolve the glue.
    I had this happen with a valuable old record that I had cleaned very thoroughly. Put it on- and some gummy substance came up off the record, notwithstanding the cleaning (or perhaps because of it) and clotted my stylus. It totally freaked me out, given the cost of the cartridge. The alcohol dissolved it almost instantly.
    Remember to dry brush afterwards, particularly if you use ME.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  8. bajaed

ME? Magic eraser?

quicksilverbudie and Litejazz53 like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yes, sorry. You have read the general guidelines about how to use it, right? (It is tiny loops of fiber that have the potential to snag, so you either dip and lift or carefully scrape along the sides. You don't want to snag your stylus in it by dragging, although I've seen it done).
    You know Melamine foam was originally intended for sound deadening/proofing applications?

hvbias likes this.
  10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You have any Blue Tack?

When this happens, I take a piece of blue tack about the size of a pea and flatten it.
    Then, I pinch a tiny bit of the edge and draw it out -it will stretch like gum and turn light blue and it gets even stickier.
    I use this thin strand to clean the stylus.
    It's thin/light enough not to pose a threat to the stylus and you can clean it top and bottom this way.

Pull too fast or too long and it will snap, so just give it a few tries before your first actual go at the stylus.

hvbias likes this.
  11. bajaed

Good idea as well, might grab some blue tack tomorrow.

Bill I do use the me as you describe. I place it on the plinth and slowly lower the stylus into it using the cue lever.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The fiber is likely wrapped around the stylus. As mentioned, you may have success with a can of "dust it". (compressed air) I think the fiber is caught from the back, so remove it in the opposite direction, front to back. This method is not safe by hand (front to back) as you'd risk snapping the cantilever or bending it... but try it with air, in short spurts. Be careful not to direct the air straight into the cartridge. Secure the arm !!!! A magnifier will help a lot.

An alternate method for someone with steady hands, a magnifier and sharp needle, simply pick the fiber off the stylus.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Bill Hart likes this.
  13. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Audio Technica AT607 Stylus Cleaner works well and that bottle lasts a live time

Nick Brook likes this.
  14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

You can try removing it with your fingers but as you say yourself you don't trust those shaky hands.

My technique is usually a mix of "zerodust", stylus cleaning solution "Stylast", a stylus brush, a puff of air, and in ultimate cases i use my fingers.
    ==> The stylus/cantilever is not all that fragile, people here tend to exagerate a lot. Of course you need to be careful, but you don't need to be in a white room with microscope and laser-guided precision tools... Hitting the stylus gently will not harm it !

Cooly McDuck and Slick Willie like this.
  15. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Just looking at the cartridge bottom, I think you'd benefit from starting a regular cleaning routine using a small paintbrush on the underside. That's pretty gross, sorry to be the messenger.

The heat generated by stylus/LP contact is so high that eventually, if ignored, stylus cleaning becomes really hard and other things become bonded. Personally, I would try tweezers on that but be very careful as the magnets in the cart will attract some tweezers and might cause damage hitting the stylus. Ask me how I know ;)

What cart is it? If it's a MM cart, just pull off the stylus and clean it properly - but I'm guessing it's an MC?

Good luck, anyway, and your records will most likely sound better with better stylus/cart hygiene.
    DD

16. bajaed

It's a Dynavector 10X5.

Here's the frustrating part about the dirt on the cart body, there seems to be a problem with static around it and I don't have a record cleaner.

But I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning the stylus and records tho. I use the zerodust after every side, no exceptions. I use 2 discwashers on each side. One for a first pass, the other for the second(clean) pass. THEN, I use an anti static spray on the record and wipe while spinning with a microfiber cloth. I do that on every record. About half the time I use a stylus brush back to front. I need to get a zero-stat gun too.

What I have not been doing is brushing off the cart body regularly mainly because I was overly worried about snagging the stylus. I did use the stylus brush on the cart after taking that picture.

The room is clean and I dust and vacuum regularly. The dustcover only comes off when I play a record. No pet hairs in the home, our miniature schnauzer does not shed.

Given all that, it IS frustrating to have all that dirt on the cart!

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm with Bill on careful use of liquid cleaner. I get a stubborn fiber on mine from time to time that won't brush off and Onzow won't grab.

I have some of the MoFi liquid stylus cleaner. I usually soak the little brush and set it up so I can drop the stylus down onto the brush and get slight contact. Capillary action holds the fluid in the brush and essentially, I let it soak for a moment, lift the stylus, and then use the wet brush to clean the stylus. That always gets it. I think sometimes a little gunk/vinyl gets stuck to the stylus and holds the fiber in place. Gotta dissolve/remove that gunk.

18. bajaed

Thanks. So a liquid stylus cleaner is ok for Dynavectors?

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I recently had a malfunction that caused my stylus to scrape from about the midway point of the vinyl, all the way back to the rest position. It left a ball of black stuff (presumably vinyl scrapings) on my stylus that did not brush off. A few dips in the magic eraser, followed by a dry brushing, followed by Mofi LP#9 stylus cleaner did the trick.

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't know that.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't know the answer to your question about liquid stylus cleaners and your particular cartridge.
    The dust is inevitable. I see it on my cartridge body too, and I am as close to wearing Kleenex boxes on my feet (old Howard Hughes thing- he was germaphobic) as a reasonably insane person can be. The only answer is a clean room. I know at that point I have gone off the deep end.

22. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

For the static issues there is nothing better than the blue static gun !

bajaed likes this.
  23. bajaed

I picked up a can of ultra duster at Walmart to try and blow the fiber off the stylus. When I went to check out they needed to override the purchase because it's a restricted item, Does it have chemicals in it or is it just compressed air? There are no ingredients on the can.

24. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I would try a liquid cleaner like LP#9 in this instance.

johnny q likes this.
  25. I think most manufacturers now add a bitterant to deter huffing abuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.