America's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

The D(onald) T(rump) impersonator/comedian.

MikaelaArsenault and Thievius like this.
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Ohhh ok. Yeah that was so dumb.

There was also morbidly obese pole dancer, can't forget her. :hurlleft:

townsend and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

That question is answered every week on "America Cannot Judge Talent"

pocofan and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Somebody finally ran for the cockroaches..? *sniffle*

townsend and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I actually stopped watching when Piers Morgan left. I know he's a reprehensible human being, but he was a wonderfully acerbic judge, much more so than Cowell.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Bring back Star Search. Then bring back Real People. and cancel all these new shows.

Ed tells you a bit about them, they do their act, and you really learn very little about them unless they win for several weeks.

I don't need a human interest story before a talent show.

Example of how it is done:

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

:yikes: fingernails on a chalkboard for me..i think i would rather listen to bob dylan sing...and that is saying a lot for me.

8. rjp

oh boy....we'll get a 15 minute clip for evie next time she is on....they basically forced he through with their rhetoric last time, this should make it even more about her dad than fact that she can't sing a note whatsoever.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That's too bad about Evie's Dad. Sad story.

Angelica can sing, but it's weird hearing a 9 year old kid singing adult love songs. Plus she and the other little kid singer, Celine...really play up the widdle kid angle.

Agreed on Tyra Banks...very annoying and weird outfits as well.

10. rjp

well, lets hope the little girl goes home tonight.........annoyingly cute, to the syrupy point of being sickening......"thank you, heidi"

kouzie and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The light dancers were very cool last night. The dog act should have stayed iced off the show.

Alan G. and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Did the ventriloquist girl win?

13. applebonkerz

That's next week. This week was the 2nd part of semi-final rounds.

14. MikaelaArsenault

I hope she wins.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I usually avoid shows like this, but I've followed AGT this year because two audition clips were shared by Facebook friends, and they were so good that I've continued to watch ever since (and even voted to try to make sure they advance).

The first was already mentioned in passing: Darci Lynne Farmer, the 12-year-old ventriloquist. She's outstanding - and she's only been doing her act for 2+ years. She sings better with her mouth closed than most people do with it open. Her puppets have distinct personalities, and they sing in different voices.

The other is Mandy Harvey, a 29-year-old jazz singer with a beautiful voice that has been compared to Sarah McLachlan, Dido, Amy Lee (Evanescence) and even Adele. She plays at least the ukulele and has been accompanied by a keyboard player and bassist. During the show, she has performed her own material, though she has done standards in other venues. Making her all the more astounding is that she is profoundly deaf and has been since she was 18.

They've been my two favorites since their auditions, and they keep getting better.

On a related note: It's no secret that America's Got Talent has scouts who both scour YouTube and make in-person visits to find acts for the show. Very few of the top acts wander off the street; there was one year recently that, of the 35 or so acts who made the live shows, only one came through the cattle-call of open auditions. Everyone else had been recruited. (They still have to audition for producers, but they don't have to go through the endless queues the hoi polloi have to endure.)

I suspect that both Darci Lynne and Mandy were fast-tracked. There are several videos of the former at various Oklahoma venues (and she also appeared on both the US and UK versions of Little Big Shots). Once Mandy discovered she could still sing although she could no longer hear, she began to make a name for herself in Colorado (articles on her go back to 2010). She's also released three CDs independently, has performed at the Kennedy Center, and was the subject of a short piece on the NBC Nightly News in 2015, so she's no amateur. She's also about to have a book published. But I'd never heard of her until her AGT audition went viral.

16. Thievius

Boo to you. Angelica ftw.

17. rjp

one down and one to go........no business being there whatsoever, strictly there because heidi klum regurgitates all over her. the kid who sang marvin gaye is 1,000,000 better than her and he is gone.....this year has become a joke, and its because the judges have sway over the public

18. Thievius

Well maybe you should stop watching then. Or at least stop whining because things didn't go your way. Heidi Klum had absolutely zero effect on the results, you're starting to sound like a hysterical Youtube commenter. smh.

19. rjp

you truly think that the little girl was better then the marvin gaye kid?

20. applebonkerz

Absolutely... even though you didn't ask me. Doesn't mean she isn't also annoying as all get-out. Ventriloquist kid is probably more likely to win over her. Neither is my favorite, but oh well.

21. rjp

annoying is putting it quite nicely and politely.......she is so well-coached by whoever is behind her that it borders on sickening. "thank you heidi"

last year, the guy who sang 'creep' was, by far and away" the most talented person there, the ukulele girl sang the same song in every single show and ended up winning because of the drool that was lathered over her by the judges.

this year the same thing is happening, but with 3 different people:

the airplane crash girl, who has a decent voice, but in no way whatsoever should have made it this far.

the little annoying girl

and the girl whose father passed away, just wait til next week, it will be an all out tear fest.

none of those 3 should win this, the ventriloquist is, in a word, remarkable and head and shoulders above everyone else who is there. but, if i were a betting man, i would bet on the 3 sob stories and collect my money when its over.

(i really really hope i'm wrong)

22. Thievius

Uh yeah. She blew him away. And I don't find her annoying. I find comments like yours mind numbingly irritating, but not her.

Everytime I come back to these forums after a break, someone says something and reminds me why I come here less and less. Holy crap. These ****ing forums. :laugh:

23. rjp

:targettiphat:

24. MikaelaArsenault

Who is left?

25. MikaelaArsenault

Did the ventriloquist girl make it in yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.